Norway Viking ship play area to be demolished

MousDad

DVC cart > Viking ship playground infested with rugrats

Can we get rid of Kidcot too... if its still called that... I don't like my World Showcase being kiddied up!

Sorry. Epcot's the greatest theme park in the world because it appeals equally to all guests of every age demographic. It's a formula that works, whether anyone likes it or not, or calls it dumbing down, or calls it walmarting, etc.

And BTW, you have the Kimpossible game now, so your World Showcase is now both kiddied up and tweened up. Have fun! :wave:

wdwCC

I personaly will miss the ship.

I am part Norwegian, and by extension - so are my kids. They allways enjoyed going on the ship, and were upset when it was closed. It was not really a "play" area, but the kids would go on it while parents went to the bathrooms. It gave the kids a chance to run around in an out of the way area where they were not going to run into anyone. It did look nice in its heyday, but sadly has been looking pretty shabby lately.

Hopefully it will be replaced with something interesting and in theme with Norway, but with Disney providing all the funding for this pavillion, I don't see that happening. I also don't see the princesses leaving Akershus untill Norway comes back and hosts the pavillion again, and kicks them out. Eric the Red could stage a raid from the Stave Church and oust them all.

-dave

While the ship need work, I too will miss the it. Being part Norwegian it's sort of re-connecting with my heritage. Can't stand the food though!
icon2.gif

Glasgow

haha -- maybe they should remove the characters too. Oh, and the toy train near Germany. Oh, and all the fun (ok, bad example).

Maybe they're moving the ship inside Maelstrom .. or better yet, at the bottom of the main tank in The Seas with Nemo!

Hot4Hudgens

It's a play area? Could have fooled me. Not once have I seen ANYONE on it. Heck, it's even been roped off a couple of times that I've passed by that area.

First they close it, and now they're planning to tear it down? That's weak. I liked going on the viking ship a lot. Has anybody here read "The Golden Helment" with Donald Duck? Donald would miss the viking boat, I'm sure.

True, the ship hasn't been as cool in recent years since it's closed. If they do indeed tear it down, the only silver lining would be if they added something really cool in its place.

burninup4nick

wow....i kind of figured after how long it had been roped off...I used to love playing on that when I was little....ahhh sooo many memories lol....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's a play area? Could have fooled me. Not once have I seen ANYONE on it. Heck, it's even been roped off a couple of times that I've passed by that area.
It was once a play area. It was closed a number of years ago due to safety concerns. Its closing date also coincided closely with the use of CCA treated lumber (the entire ship is constructed from it) being outlawed for use in playgrounds.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Hmm. The ship adds to the theming of the area. I don't care about the play ground being eliminated but I do hope that whatever takes it's place is clearly Norwegian in theme.

To me it doesn't add anything to the theming of the area instead it actually detracts and makes Epcot look like a giant mcdonalds

MKCP 1985

All who mourn the loss of the Viking ship are invited to spend extra time in the Norway pavilion by watching the informational film at the end of Maelstrom. :drevil:

What? Suddenly everyone is okay with the Viking ship being removed? :zipit:

:lol:

Vernonpush

All who mourn the loss of the Viking ship are invited to spend extra time in the Norway pavilion by watching the informational film at the end of Maelstrom. :drevil:

I LOVE that film, I make my other half watch it each time we ride (except the time it wasn't being shown:( ). I've noticed quite a few parents lifting children up onto the "closed" ship so that they could get a picture- not a smart thing to do. And the one thing that really bothered me was that the ship was right next to the "smoking area" ( combined with the CCA treated lumber) not very safe.

And if they do add a queue to the bathrooms, can I get a fastpass?:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

WOW.

I had forgotten about that.

Poor Norway.:(

Phonedave

I watch that film all the time, as do my 8 and 10 y/o girls. Of course they have this thing about being Norwegian. They us that as an excuse whenever they get into trouble, they claim its the "Viking in them" - see what Epcot teaches kids. :)

-dave

SirNim

That would be great little corner of the park to which the Leave a Legacy stones could be relocated.

Visit "Legacy Park" between Mexico and Norway in World Showcase!
Spring 2009

PhilharMagician

Here is a pic I took about 3 weeks ago. I looked around the ship (as the rest of the family proceeded to make a potty break) and it really is in bad shape.

This I just cropped so you can see better.

Removal is the best for the ship at this point. Lets just hope for somehting else to take it's place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom