Norway Viking ship play area to be demolished

HMF

Really? Why? So whats going in its place? From the way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if its a DVC cart. :hurl: :brick: I could understand (kinda) why it was closed, but honestly, do they have to get rid of it? :veryconfu
The new Princesse's Lair at the Norway Pavillion. WDI researchers are now hard at work looking for a thematic excuse.

I personaly will miss the ship.

I am part Norwegian, and by extension - so are my kids. They allways enjoyed going on the ship, and were upset when it was closed. It was not really a "play" area, but the kids would go on it while parents went to the bathrooms. It gave the kids a chance to run around in an out of the way area where they were not going to run into anyone. It did look nice in its heyday, but sadly has been looking pretty shabby lately.

Hopefully it will be replaced with something interesting and in theme with Norway, but with Disney providing all the funding for this pavillion, I don't see that happening. I also don't see the princesses leaving Akershus untill Norway comes back and hosts the pavillion again, and kicks them out. Eric the Red could stage a raid from the Stave Church and oust them all.

-dave

My grandmother is the opposite, she's Norwegian and she was so excited when they first opened the Norway pavillion. But then she was highly dissapointed by all the trolls and vikings. She really wishes that Disney felt Norway had more to offer than the stereotypical troll folklore and vikings. She thought there would be fjords and scenary. So while I think the viking ship was a nice addition to a spot that could really only house shrubbery, I don't think it's a major loss as far as educating the masses about Norwegian culture.

pax_65

Epcot Needs Play Areas For Kids

It's a play area? Could have fooled me. Not once have I seen ANYONE on it. Heck, it's even been roped off a couple of times that I've passed by that area.

You should have seen it back in the day. It used to be MOBBED with kids.

Think about it... you're dragging your little kids through the World Showcase when all they want to do is go back to the Magic Kingdom. You get to the viking ship and you can turn them loose and let them run around for a while and just be kids.

I personally don't care anymore now that my kids are older, but IMHO Epcot needs more play areas for little kids, especially in World Showcase.

Matpez

Saturday Dec 6th-

picture.php

picture.php

dreamfinder

Watch it get replaced with some of that rubberized flooring and a crawl space in the middle. No one can get hurt on that can they? And then they still have a "playground" in the same place. : (

kcnole

I'll be the optimistic one. Maybe it was just in such bad shape that the only option was to complete tear it down. Maybe they're just going to rebuild it again? One can hope right?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'll be the optimistic one. Maybe it was just in such bad shape that the only option was to complete tear it down. Maybe they're just going to rebuild it again? One can hope right?
The ship had 2 big things going against it. First of all it was in really bad condition but second and more importantly it was made entirely of CCA treated lumber which was removed from production several years ago due to health concerns. There is no way to retrofit this lumber and make it safe, save for completely replacing it. Hence there was no way to both refurb it as well as make it safe in the eyes of an ambulance chaser.

kcnole

Which is why I said its not beyond the realm of possibility it might just be getting torn down so that it can be rebuilt in a safer way.

FreedomWrangler

Sorry, didn't check the whole thread but I bet the Kim Possible World Showcase . . . show? . . . or whatever it is will have a space there.

As long as the bakery isn't taken out I'm O.K. :slurp:

barrettnichols

I was checking out some web sites on the movie "The 13th Warrior", with Antonio Banderas. On one site it said that the boat in Epcot had been used in the movie. I find this hard to believe. Seems like the boat at Epcot is much small than anything in the movie.
Comments?

lbrad

Really? Why? So whats going in its place? From the way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if its a DVC cart. :hurl: :brick: I could understand (kinda) why it was closed, but honestly, do they have to get rid of it? :veryconfu

It did make a nice background for pictures:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom