Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Big Thing

I think it's actually both issues- that they are ordered to go slow AND that they are simply slow at building compared to the past. Shanghai is struggling along and has failed to meet the deadline already for instance.
Well they did get the new Flex theatre up pretty fast at DHS and that was an entire building. Sure it's basically just a box, but it went up and the area got themed very quickly.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They still have about 6-7 months until opening. An entire new facade isn't totally out of the question.

I wasn't so much thinking of how much time they have left to complete it, but more that a major piece of construction like that would have done earlier in the process. The original permit from Whiting Turner expired already and I would expect them to be doing a major facade re-build. Of course it is possible this work has been lumped in with the permit for the M&G which doesn't expire until the end of 2016.

RSoxNo1

The facades for Frozen Ever After and Royal Sommerhaus appear to be in theme for the Norway Pavilion. That is they are intended to represent the real life architecture of Norway.

Where this will first become jarring is when guests enter these buildings into a cartoon recreation of a country "not unlike" Norway.

It's similar to when you see a well known building structure that is no longer used as that building. We see it all the time with places like IHOP or the old Howard Johnson's. We know what the buildings were, but now it's a dentists office. It's weird.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
The facades for Frozen Ever After and Royal Sommerhaus appear to be in theme for the Norway Pavilion. That is they are intended to represent the real life architecture of Norway.

Where this will first become jarring is when guests enter these buildings into a cartoon recreation of a country "not unlike" Norway.

It's similar to when you see a well known building structure that is no longer used as that building. We see it all the time with places like IHOP or the old Howard Johnson's. We know what the buildings were, but now it's a dentists office. It's weird.
As the toonification continues, that jarring thematic changes from outside to inside will be more stark. The example next door in Mexico is a weird and unwelcome mess. Going from a gorgeously themed building inside and out, to a cartoon screen presentation boat ride....hey wait.... that's the new formula.... Nice execution outside, cartoon head snap inside. {sarcasm} Marvelous imagineering and excellent animation truly representing a country and it's people. {/sacrsm}

*1023*

doctornick

We know the final product will feature Frozen and that is a poor thematic fit.
We know the final product will feature similar hourly capacity as Maelstrom and that presents an operational nightmare.

Other than 100% of the argument against this, you're correct.

That's not quite true though. Those are definitely legit concerns which have been beaten to death, but there's also been a number of folks on these pages who have complained that the ride will be poorly executed or "value engineered" and not even be any good. And it is valid to counter those concerns with the point that we don't know much details of the actual execution of the ride. We do have a scene by scene breakdown (which IMHO sounds like a good storyline for the ride) but don't really know much about the quality or quantity of AAs or the effects used, etc. Which is stuff that will have a significant impact on how "good" the ride is regardless of the thematic placement issues or capacity.

dstrawn9889

the last 'value engineered ride' as shown by the blogs was 7DMT. it was NEVER made out to be anything more than a mild swinging coaster, with slow dark-ride type scenes. that is exactly what it is. everyone was grousing about the cheap, static figures that were to be installed... yet i see cutting edge projections on, IMHO, are a-1s (not the most articulated AAs, but not cutouts). still fitting what the premise of the ride is.

bhg469

the last 'value engineered ride' as shown by the blogs was 7DMT. it was NEVER made out to be anything more than a mild swinging coaster, with slow dark-ride type scenes. that is exactly what it is. everyone was grousing about the cheap, static figures that were to be installed... yet i see cutting edge projections on, IMHO, are a-1s (not the most articulated AAs, but not cutouts). still fitting what the premise of the ride is.
There are also complaints about mine train because it was known to have been reduced in length by a lot. That was really disappointing because one more show scene would have made it much much better.

RSoxNo1

That's not quite true though. Those are definitely legit concerns which have been beaten to death, but there's also been a number of folks on these pages who have complained that the ride will be poorly executed or "value engineered" and not even be any good. And it is valid to counter those concerns with the point that we don't know much details of the actual execution of the ride. We do have a scene by scene breakdown (which IMHO sounds like a good storyline for the ride) but don't really know much about the quality or quantity of AAs or the effects used, etc. Which is stuff that will have a significant impact on how "good" the ride is regardless of the thematic placement issues or capacity.
I haven't been one to criticize the quality. We certainly don't know that. However if the quality is high, the demand will be that much higher, further exaggerating the operational issues. The only way the low capacity isn't an issue is if the ride is at Stitch quality... There's no good scenario here.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There are also complaints about mine train because it was known to have been reduced in length by a lot. That was really disappointing because one more show scene would have made it much much better.

SDMT had several show scenes and a LOT of length cut from the ride, No it was never a THRILL ride but had it been built to what WDI wanted it would have been a E-ticket on the order of POTC which is also not a thrill ride.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

It all depends on what plans you looked at. If you looked at the plans that showed a longer track and an additional show scene you may have been disappointed. If the plans you saw shows the AAs to be lame with almost no movement, you may have been a lot happier with the final product.

If none of the plans were ever showed to us, I suspect most would think it was a cool family coaster with some nice show scenes and awesome AAs but a bit short.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
It all depends on what plans you looked at. If you looked at the plans that showed a longer track and an additional show scene you may have been disappointed. If the plans you saw shows the AAs to be lame with almost no movement, you may have been a lot happier with the final product.

If none of the plans were ever showed to us, I suspect most would think it was a cool family coaster with some nice show scenes and awesome AAs but a bit short.

To be fair, the AAs are not all that impressive. Projected faces are nothing new at all. The don't have a ton of movement on a variety of axis. The show scene is rather short. The cottage finale is an afterthought at best. The 7DMT is not what it could/should have been.

I do expect more out of the Frozenstrom offering. We've already seen the whole ride laid out in concept art. The ride will be essentially the same flume wise. The layout hasn't really changed other than the load/unload reconfigure to add a "Scene". The primary failure here is rider capacity. The limited throughput may even be exacerbated at load/unload. The secondary failure is shoveling Frozen in this space in the first place.

Both of my points have been stated by myself and others many times over in many places. I really don't think much more can be added to this until we get some more photos and/or info about the screens and figures being installed. Garner Holt can build some decent AAs. I expect more animated faces.

*1023*

Cesar R M

technically, an overlay with barely an change in the structure of the ride could easily fit into a "value engineered".

Cesar R M

Agree in this aspect, It could have been as bad as Superstar Limo.

Miketic

4iJQXKwGu-CQI5phm4oVGh87_pEzarAgZHHWFx9yK3U%2CSXDYx58DOT4lSSeWh_DlGycqmreBkgylvQd02T9heHI

s4RdVJHh64v37N0RCZH3ymmc3p9FQpduIP-ORYM9sxQ

Exterior work yesterday 11/17/15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom