Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

Here's the thing: we, the public, do not have the power to make Disney do anything they want to do.

We do, however, have the power to change their mind as to what they want to do.

It's a subtle distinction, but a meaningful one. Rare, too, that the public is able to successfully rally together that power, but palpable when we do.

Now if only we could harness that power to some practical end that benefits mankind instead of for a THEME PARK RIDE.

Haymarket2008

Well according to an interview someone did with Tony Baxter at D23, not sure if it's published yet, but he was singing the praises of the level of detail in the pavilion expansion and the queue. And that Kathy Magnum has been fighting hard to make it more Norway than Frozen. If he is giving a public thumbs up to her work, then I'm okay with it.

UpAllNight

This isn't a popular opinion but this addition just typifies what Epcot is to me - a complete mess. I just didn't 'get' Epcot. I don't hold nostalgia for the place like many do as I wasn't brought up on it. I found the whole place very dated and if I'm honest, boring :(

Frozen does seem out of place, but then so does Universe of Energy, The Seas with Nemo, Captain EO in what was apparently meant to be a version of the future. The place is almost unique to me in that it is the only theme park/ Waterpark in a Florida that I currently have no desire at all to return to; and this ride shoehorned in and it's inevitable 3 hour line changes nothing.

aladdin2007

Well according to an interview someone did with Tony Baxter at D23, not sure if it's published yet, but he was singing the praises of the level of detail in the pavilion expansion and the queue. And that Kathy Magnum has been fighting hard to make it more Norway than Frozen. If he is giving a public thumbs up to her work, then I'm okay with it.

yes there are individuals involved who have been fighting for Norway, fortunately shes steering the ship. Otherwise this could have turned out worse, and came close to it I will say.

DisneyRoy

Apparently we don't have the power to change their mind as Avatar-world is still happening despite how unenthusiastic everyone still is LOL

Have you not been to any of the Avatar boards in these forums? They are FULL of people excited for this area. The theming looks amazing and the construction pics do nothing but to help get everyone excited. I highly recommend you check them out.

misterID

I'd rather no toons be in World Showcase, but if this is where we are now, then I'd be fine with Ratatouille coming. It makes more sense in the context of the Showcase than Frozen. It's just a matter of how they handle it. I wouldn't want to lose Impressions.
What we loved about WS is done, over, dead. Frozen killed it. Even though I appreciate Kathy's attempt to maintain some of the original meaning (that goes a long way IMO) of WS it's clear it's a lost battle. As you said, the only thing we can hope for is that IP intrusion can at least respect some of the cultural meaning of the countries as they did in Mexico.

I still don't know how they're going to justify a more kid/family centric WS with boozefest. Those lines, with that crowd, which is pretty disgusting on its own...yeah, its going to be great. And I'm serious, this really concerns me.

It is clear they don't get, or at this point care, about EPCOT.

brb1006

I'd rather no toons be in World Showcase, but if this is where we are now, then I'd be fine with Ratatouille coming. It makes more sense in the context of the Showcase than Frozen. It's just a matter of how they handle it. I wouldn't want to lose Impressions.
But I liked seeing the characters at WS :(

Kman101

What we loved about WS is done, over, dead. Frozen killed it. Even though I appreciate Kathy's attempt to maintain some of the original meaning (that goes a long way IMO) of WS it's clear it's a lost battle. As you said, the only thing we can hope for is that IP intrusion can at least respect some of the cultural meaning of the countries as they did in Mexico.

I still don't know how they're going to justify a more kid/family centric WS with boozefest. Those lines, with that crowd, which is pretty disgusting on its own...yeah, its going to be great. And I'm serious, this really concerns me.

It is clear they don't get, or at this point care, about EPCOT.

Agreed. It's gone and dead. I guess it probably died in 2007 along with Future World and Nemo (which should have been handled better and I wouldn't complain about it, actually). I mean, how do guests even comprehend what Future World is? Such a thematic mess.

Epcot is the park that has the most potential and is becoming the most wasted. Future World deserves a total makeover.

That's why I've decided I'm fine with Rat if it comes. It plays into a lot of the aspects of World Showcase and it's set in a real place. Not make believe "but inspired by".

I also really appreciate Kathy seemingly fighting for it to be more Norwegian than Frozen, and I thank her for that fight, but it's still a mistake and a part of me thinks they do realize that but are making the best of it.

RSoxNo1

Really impressed with the Sven AA.
Based on a single still photo?

In the room when Kathy Mangum started talking about Frozen Ever After there were some boos (including yours truly, wearing a Maelstrom shirt), a very light smattering of applause, but only after a nice awkward silence.

Before anyone says, "this isn't the audience for a Frozen ride", there was a far better reaction to Frozen when it was mentioned for Tokyo.

Nobody over the age of 12, that has two brain cells to rub together thinks this is a good idea. Short of doing an overlay on a better attraction, I can't think of a worse way to integrate a frozen attraction in the parks. A better option would have been to gut it's a small world and put Frozen in its place (and no, this wouldn't include my fanboi idea of moving iasw).

If this ride is at Little Mermaid caliber it will have two hour waits at all times and unless you're staying on property, you'll never get a fastpass.

DisneyRoy

Surveys showed that what domestic guests want is less intellectual depth. And certainly less pompous artistic integrity. Most guests found Epcot too difficult to "get". So in order to relieve the cognitive dissonance guests were experiencing......toons EVERYWHERE!!!!

Now you seem to be getting it. ;)

RSoxNo1

Surveys showed that what domestic guests want is less intellectual depth. And certainly less pompous artistic integrity. Most guests found Epcot too difficult to "get". So in order to relieve the cognitive dissonance guests were experiencing......toons EVERYWHERE!!!!
Not true, guests found the attractions themselves tedious and boring. Depth comes from theming. When something is cohesive in a theme park it is more pleasing both consciously and unconsciously. There's nothing to break you from that theme.

Look at the best attractions in each park. For the most part they aren't driven by an intellectual property. Those that are IP driven (Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror) use IP that Disney has either distanced themself from or the IP is less than integral to the attraction itself.

This will be a Frozen ride. It will not be a Norway ride with Frozen characters. What's worse is that because of the intellectual property, it will be very popular. It's the laziest possible choice to get Frozen in the parks and the laziest possible choice to draw people to Epcot.

Wikkler

which part did they show the sven aa?
How do I see the Sven AA?
mqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom