Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
For the sake of discussion is Winnie the Pooh a good or bad book report? Peter Pan? What makes them that way? By contrast why is LM "bad"? I get the mechanical arguments (disco ball, too bright, etc.) but those have been addressed in a recent refurb. I'm talking conceptually. I'm genuinely interested.

LM is bad because a major plot point is missing... Ursula guarantees Ariel's wish, Ariel gets legs, Ursula is destroyed, everyone lives happily ever after....except Ursula, but you don't see why

Wikkler

ET is too IIRC
What? ET is not a book report.
hqdefault.jpg

I don't remember that from the movie.

JohnD

Bad at being a book report as in bad at retelling the plot of the original film. Peter Pan does a good job of it I'd say, I don't remember enough about the plot of Pooh though to comment on it.

In LM's case a lot is left out/over simplified. Pacing is bad. I think they did a lot with the space they had and most of the technical complaints don't bother me that much but the "plot" of the ride is lacking. People that may not have seen the film probably won't find fault in that aspect though.

LM is bad because a major plot point is missing... Ursula guarantees Ariel's wish, Ariel gets legs, Ursula is destroyed, everyone lives happily ever after....except Ursula, but you don't see why

Thanks, makes sense.

Shaman

Well originality really does pay off sometimes. Look at POTC, HM, E:E, Soarin' (at least when it premiered in DCA), Space Mountain, CoP, the list goes on and on.

I agree. These days many Disney fans are vicious though. One false step...boooom.

I'm still bothered by the story changes they made to Kilimanjaro Safari....Alien Encounter. :(

JohnD

I agree. Disney fans are vicious though. One false step...boooom.

I'm still bothered by the story changes they made to Kilimanjaro Safari....Alien Encounter. :(

I really don't need a "story" other than we're in an African preserve. That's enough for me. The whole "this bridge has seen better days and may collapse any moment" spiel is getting tired. We're at Disney. Like it's going to collapse. Get stuck on IASW being tortured by the music? Yes? A bridge collapsing underneath us. No.

Brer Panther

But I question you saying what I want isn't kid-friendly.

Inside Out (a Pixar animated film) as a WoL replacement wouldn't appeal to kids?

A gorgeous, state-of-the-art Hunny Hunt/Mystic Manor-esque dark ride themed to Figment and the Dreamfinder wouldn't appeal to kids? With colorful sets/AAs?

A Mary Poppins attraction in the UK wouldn't appeal to kids?

IASW replacing the Odyssey wouldn't appeal to kids?

A Ratatouille clone in France wouldn't appeal to kids?

A Matterhorn clone in a Switzerland pavillion wouldn't appeal to kids?

A dark ride with Mushu guiding guests through China wouldn't appeal to kids?

An updated Energy pavillion wouldn't appeal to kids?

An EMV dark ride that takes you through tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and snowstorms wouldn't appeal to older kids? (8-12 yr olds)

You know what else I'm sure would appeal to kids? A new version of Journey Into Imagination featuring the grand return of the Dreamfinder.

aladdin2007

I think it would be a nice touch if we're shown how the film was inspired by architecture/landscape/culture of Norway and other Scandinavian countries. Maybe in the queue or post-ride area?

It would have been better if this had been a ride through Norway hosted by the Frozen characters, sorta like how the three caballeros take you through Mexico which I know we all have already stated here. Its a complete shame really. Norway has seen a pretty big up tick in tourism since Frozen, and Adventures by Disney has a pretty good looking Norwegian trip,,,its just too bad they couldnt have drawn from all that and included it here in some form. Instead Norway gets kicked out to the curb for the most part. But then, as we all know, Norway did have a chance to jump in here and they didnt...but still doesnt make this right. Disney could have kept the integrity of a Norway pavilion, instead they are just adding some touches while its really all frozen...I would have had a few ounces more respect for this if the rides title had been Norwegian in tone like "Olaf's Adventure" instead of this lazy noncreative frozen ever after princess happy mess.

khale1970

I think I'd like to shed some light on what this "is". This attraction is cheap by normal standards. Could they mitigate by adding money? Sure. Money equals being able to do whatever we want to do. Could they blow out a wall and add a building and double the ride length? Sure. But it would be tons more money, and adds months to the schedule. This attraction is a very specific enterprise: it is a limited budget redo on a tight schedule in order to take quick advantage of an IP that has a shelf life. It's just not the same as building a new capital budget allocated attraction from scratch, nor is it intended to be. Will it be cute? Sure. Will it be short? Yes, hence scene one in the queue. Will it have some cool new effects and be fun? Yes, absolutely. Will it have lines for hours for the first year? Yep. Then what happens when Frozen thaws? No capacity issues any longer.

Thanks for the informative response and I very much hope your assessment is correct. Whatever the downside may be of this in World Showcase, it's my hope that it leads to increased crowds in EPCOT who will stick around, explore a bit, and discover what a great park it is even with its much noted current flaws. Maybe the capacity issues will force the park to extend its hours and add night time entertainment options. That would help daily capacity and maybe even take some pressure off the MK.

khale1970

Don't give ideas! ;)

Ideas? Better than a gift shop in the queue? How much could WDW charge per person and how many could they sell per night if they sold a package that included prime seating at the DHS Frozen night time events, a boat ride with the Frozen characters to EPCOT after it closes, and guaranteed ride times on the ride without having to stand in line with the day crowds?

Shaman

It would have been better if this had been a ride through Norway hosted by the Frozen characters, sorta like how the three caballeros take you through Mexico which I know we all have already stated here. Its a complete shame really. Norway has seen a pretty big up tick in tourism since Frozen, and Adventures by Disney has a pretty good looking Norwegian trip,,,its just too bad they couldnt have drawn from all that and included it here in some form. Instead Norway gets kicked out to the curb for the most part. But then, as we all know, Norway did have a chance to jump in here and they didnt...but still doesnt make this right. Disney could have kept the integrity of a Norway pavilion, instead they are just adding some touches while its really all frozen...I would have had a few ounces more respect for this if the rides title had been Norwegian in tone like "Olaf's Adventure" instead of this lazy noncreative frozen ever after princess happy mess.

I just dont see the big deal in showcasing how a country influences or is represented in fiction along with the real cultural stuff.

Maybe people would embrace it more if they called it "Frozen: A Scandinavian Adventure"? No? Still hate it? Ok.

aladdin2007

I just dont see the big deal in showcasing how a country influences or is represented in fiction along with the real cultural stuff.

Maybe people would embrace it more if they called it "Frozen: A Scandinavian Adventure"? No? Still hate it? Ok.

where is the real cultural stuff? Its all frozen, minus a few items in the stave church or the new meetngreet. And I am guessing cast who work the new frozen will not be wearing Norwegian costumes.

doctornick

I really don't need a "story" other than we're in an African preserve. That's enough for me. The whole "this bridge has seen better days and may collapse any moment" spiel is getting tired. We're at Disney. Like it's going to collapse. Get stuck on IASW being tortured by the music? Yes? A bridge collapsing underneath us. No.

I like the bridge actually. It adds to the ambiance and "authenticity". I don't have a problem with them getting rid of the story with the elephants though. Nothing wrong with the "story" simple being that we are on an African safari and here are the animals.

doctornick

where is the real cultural stuff? Its all frozen, minus a few items in the stave church or the new meetngreet. And I am guessing cast who work the new frozen will not be wearing Norwegian costumes.

The architecture, the bakery, some items in the shop. I'd actually like to see the Stave church get shifted back to an exhibit not related to Frozen, like returning the Vikings.

Do they even have any entertainment in Norway? Would be nice if they could have at least some music or such related to the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom