Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich T

That's not a good excuse for poor ride execution though. There is a quote by Walt that is one of my favorites and its "You're dead if you only aim for kids. Adults are just grown up kids anyways".
This. Little Mermaid is a lousy ride, period. They managed to take an excellent, wonderful-for-all-ages animated film--one full of strong emotions and genuine thrills--and turn it into the most bland, un-involving dark ride Disney's ever built. The decades-old Peter Pan's Flight. is 100 times more fun--for all ages. The first computer-generated mock-up of a never-built LM dark ride that showed up as a bonus on home video years ago showed how much fun a proper LM ride could be. What they ended up with is applesauce.

brb1006

This. Little Mermaid is a lousy ride, period. They managed to take an excellent, wonderful-for-all-ages animated film--one full of strong emotions and genuine thrills--and turn it into the most bland, un-involving dark ride Disney's ever built. The decades-old Peter Pan's Flight. is 100 times more fun--for all ages. The first computer-generated mock-up of a never-built LM dark ride that showed up as a bonus on home video years ago showed how much fun a proper LM ride could be. What they ended up with is applesauce.
I wish this was how the actual attraction looked.

RSoxNo1

And Brother Bear in Canada, Mulan in China, Big Hero Six in Japan, Alice in Wonderland in England (or Mary Poppins), Pocahontas in America. . .
You're thinking too logically. Pinocchio goes in UK because Germany is close to the UK. Beauty and the Beast goes to Germany because Maurice has sausage fingers. Pocahontas goes in Canada because she has forest friends and there are forests in Canada. Sword in the Stone goes into Japan because samurais also have swords.

RSoxNo1

I don't have the same negative feeling as you on Mermaid, but it, like the rest of New Fantasyland is a lot of style and not a lot of substance. It was the Bruce Vaughn/Chris Beatty mantra of swinging for bloop singles instead of swinging for the fences.

rreading

While there are always instances of sometime seeing some unthemed aspects to rides, even I was shocked at the Flotsam Jetsam scene... It's probably the worst offender i've ever encountered at Disney... There was zero attempt to theme anything aside from the entrance to the lair... It's horrible, and could easily be fixed.

So we've been to WDW and DL with our 10 and 6yo maybe 7 times since that ride's opened. I definitely appreciate the lighting upgrade from the refurb, but that room has never bothered me; nor have I heard any complaints about it from the ~20 friends/family we've ridden it with.

There has been discussion of the fact that it could have been done better.

Bocabear

So we've been to WDW and DL with our 10 and 6yo maybe 7 times since that ride's opened. I definitely appreciate the lighting upgrade from the refurb, but that room has never bothered me; nor have I heard any complaints about it from the ~20 friends/family we've ridden it with.

There has been discussion of the fact that it could have been done better.
I think that is the biggest point...in a much anticipated and publicized "biggest Addition to the Magic Kingdom Ever" they could have done better... LM is not bad, but does not live up to the hype or the most fabulous queue they built for it. I think in general the creative team at Disney must be in chains or something, because they don't seem to pull out the stops like they used to...
Princess Fairytal Hall and the Belle Meet and Greet look like hotel function spaces (aside from the magic mirror)...
Just bland bland bland, while down the road they are pushing the envelope with new ideas, and a lot faster...
I am hoping to be wowed by what they are doing , but they have not set the bar too high recently... Underwelming ideas, value engineered to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I think that is the biggest point...in a much anticipated and publicized "biggest Addition to the Magic Kingdom Ever" they could have done better... LM is not bad, but does not live up to the hype or the most fabulous queue they built for it. I think in general the creative team at Disney must be in chains or something, because they don't seem to pull out the stops like they used to...
Princess Fairytal Hall and the Belle Meet and Greet look like hotel function spaces (aside from the magic mirror)...
Just bland bland bland, while down the road they are pushing the envelope with new ideas, and a lot faster...
I am hoping to be wowed by what they are doing , but they have not set the bar too high recently... Underwelming ideas, value engineered to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I think a huge part of the let down is that it's not a new ride. It's a copy of the one in DCA... that coupled with the awful lighting (presumably fixed, but I haven't been for a while, so...) visible exit signs, flooring, and ceilings... it wasn't a "must see" attraction, to be sure.

Bocabear

but you have to admit that queue is pretty darn fabulous... It's like different people designed the queue , and another team entirely designed the princess meet and greet attractions...like a hospitality team from the hotel....and big whoop they have crowns in the carpet...lol
all of this has me concerned about what we have to look forward to with Pandora, Star Wars and Toy Storyland... I am not going to expect much over value engineered, barely themed rides with really nice rock work and queues....

jrogue

After reading all these comments I am really glad I am not the only one who was underwhelmed with the Little Mermaid ride. Like @Bocabear said, there was SO much hype for this ride and to me it wasn't as well done as it could have been. The queue is absolutely beautiful, detailed, and amazing ... but I feel like the ride's animatronics (or lack of in some cases) and the way the scenes were set don't immerse you as much as it was intended. That video of what the ride was supposed to be is absolutely amazing and I wish it was more like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom