Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofNorway

At one point when we heard the rumors and knew that Maelstrom was going to be closed, they were aiming for end of December last year.
The show-building is old and full of dangerous and hazard materials, this is the main reason for them being late with this new attraction.
I think they got a big shocker when they discovered that this wouldn't be as easy as it seemed...

Mike S

At one point when we heard the rumors and knew that Maelstrom was going to be closed, they were aiming for end of December last year.
The show-building is old and full of dangerous and hazard materials, this is the main reason for them being late with this new attraction.
I think they got a big shocker when they discovered that this wouldn't be as easy as it seemed...
Odin's revenge. Never tempt the gods.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
FWIW, I was told yesterday that July is the current target for Frozenstrom.

If that is true then what an epic failure in planning and project management.

and if that is true they should have just built a new ride building somewhere else and left maelstrom (which they should have done anyways but here's more proof of it didn't same them time)

Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll sell some extra magic hours or cut some CM's somewhere to help pay for the cost overruns

Magenta Panther

If that is true then what an epic failure in planning and project management.

and if that is true they should have just built a new ride building somewhere else and left maelstrom (which they should have done anyways but here's more proof of it didn't same them time)

Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll sell some extra magic hours or cut some CM's somewhere to help pay for the cost overruns

What a frickin' bunch of incompetents then. Sad sad sad.

Soarin' Over Pgh

FWIW, I was told yesterday that July is the current target for Frozenstrom.

WOW. Very poor planning on Disney managements part. The parks will already be mobbed, then open a new attraction. Sounds legit.

I think the very first reporting, it was supposed to be open by December 2015 (we were all LOL'ing at that if I recall correctly) then got pushed back to "Spring 2016" now Summer.

Obviously the building had alot of damage to it- anyone with allergies coulda told them they were running face-first into a big problem regarding mold.

I wish we had some kind of progress photos, though...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
WOW. Very poor planning on Disney managements part. The parks will already be mobbed, then open a new attraction. Sounds legit.

I think the very first reporting, it was supposed to be open by December 2015 (we were all LOL'ing at that if I recall correctly) then got pushed back to "Spring 2016" now Summer.

Obviously the building had alot of damage to it- anyone with allergies coulda told them they were running face-first into a big problem regarding mold.

the thing is Dec. 2015 SHOULDN'T have been laughable... it's certainly doable... just not the way Disney does projects...that's becoming the laughable part.

They are beginning to look REALLY bad in the planning/project management/oversight dept.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Someone on the DPB said it perfectly. This is from @Wikkler post in the RoL thread. Its a screenshot from the DPB. She hits the nail on the head when she says Disney forces planning months out, but is not planning ahead themselves.
upload_2016-4-10_2-33-1.png

Last edited:

tribbleorlfl

the thing is Dec. 2015 SHOULDN'T have been laughable... it's certainly doable... just not the way Disney does projects...that's becoming the laughable part.

They are beginning to look REALLY bad in the planning/project management/oversight dept.
While I generally agree with you on the way WDW seems to be running construction, to be fair if what we're hearing is true about hazardous materials, the problem simply might have been greater than they expected and planned for.

Annectdotaly speaking, I did a kitchen remodel this past summer. When they ripped out the old cabinets and drywall, previously-unknown water damage (and the accompanying mold), out of code wiring and a problem water line all conspired to delay completion of my project by two weeks. This was for a fairly straightforward 10x10 kitchen remodel. I can only imagine what can happen to a multi-million dollar water flume attraction.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
While I generally agree with you on the way WDW seems to be running construction, to be fair if what we're hearing is true about hazardous materials, the problem simply might have been greater than they expected and planned for.

Annectdotaly speaking, I did a kitchen remodel this past summer. When they ripped out the old cabinets and drywall, previously-unknown water damage (and the accompanying mold), out of code wiring and a problem water line all conspired to delay completion of my project by two weeks. This was for a fairly straightforward 10x10 kitchen remodel. I can only imagine what can happen to a multi-million dollar water flume attraction.
Understandable, but thats not a house that you live in and maintained everyday. IMO, theres no excuse if Disney was not aware of the condition the ride was in before they announced an opening date. It also goes to show the hap hazard approach they took in choosing a location before completely understanding all aspects.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

...yeah that's true... but shouldn't they have done some assessments on all of this knowing that there would probably be a lot of this to take care of? I know hindsight and all it's easy to say that after the fact... I would just think someone like Disney who does construction and maintenance, etc. all the time would have a better idea of what they are getting into before they just go for it.

Maybe this was all part of the rush to throw something in that was Frozen and rush the project ahead rather than build a new attraction... who knows...either way you slice it, there are a lot of "oops" that appear to be happening as of late with things

Soarin' Over Pgh

Exactly right.

A local amusement park announced a redevelopment of a current (very old, only two left in the world) ride- and announced it would be ready for opening day 2016. Guess what? With only a handful of months (mind you, winter months, battling elements) they are on point and on target and the ride is actually done and awaiting park opening. If a little amusement park can say "we are doing this, it'll be open on xx/xx/2016" why can't a park with 1000000x its income not be able to pick a date and stick to it?

December 2015 SHOULD HAVE BEEN a totally do-able date. Lack of planning on their part. It's a shame, really.

Someone on the DPB said it perfectly. This is from @Wikkler post in the RoL thread. Its a screenshot from the DPB. She hits the nail on the head when she says Disney forces planning months out, but is not planning ahead themselves.
View attachment 137759

Nailed it. I'm really starting to rethink my trip later this year. I'm spending *so much money* on the Disney leg versus the Universal leg that I'm considering rearranging and spending extra time on property at Universal. I'm already planning on 4 days there- but it comes down to quality and cost. I'm definitely getting more bang for my buck at Universal. I'm starting to feel like I can't count on anything at Disney being open/operational/not under construction and do you have ANY IDEA how freaking frustrating it was to explain to my ...male friend that all of the "new" Star Wars stuff in the Disney commercials on the telly are NOT new nor attractions? He was gutted!

Ok, I'll bite.

If anyone with a nose were to ride Maelstrom prior to closing, they would have SMELLED mold. They would have FELT dampness. Even the load/unload had visible signs of mold.

Knowing that, they should have known the ride was positively littered with mold and various hazardous materials. Knowing THAT, they should have planned on a full gut-and-redo of the attraction from top to bottom instead of taking it on the cheap and thinking they can simply rip out decor and throw in new decor. Of course there's water damage. It's a flume ride. Where there's water and high temps, there is always the potential for mold.

Disney should have known better. I can't give them a pass for delaying the ride for so long due to unforeseen circumstances.

That said, I do still see your point, but I'm simply not willing to let them pass on this one.

Not to mention that it's their HOTTEST IP right now.... or, well, was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom