Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

I understand that. I mean that I can't think of an instance where I can literally see a structure from the pavilion next door looming over the structures within the pavilion that I am in. Mexican Aztec motif hardly screams Norwegian and would just seem very jarring in my mind. It just seems that the buildings are oddly close to the Mexico show building.
I have seen peeks at a nearby building but certainly nothing as dramatic as we are talking about in this case. And the side of the Mexico pavilion has such a distinctive paint job that i agree it would be really distracting from Sommerhus. Surely there will be vegetation planted.
image.jpeg

I would bet the flowers we see to the left here will have trees behind them. Poor placement aside, I have every confidence that this area will be visually effective with proper sight lines.

doctornick

I understand that. I mean that I can't think of an instance where I can literally see a structure from the pavilion next door looming over the structures within the pavilion that I am in. Mexican Aztec motif hardly screams Norwegian and would just seem very jarring in my mind. It just seems that the buildings are oddly close to the Mexico show building.

The main Norway pavilion is as close to the China one as Royal Sommerhus is to the Mexico pavilion. It will be fine.

Goofyernmost

I'm the biggest proponent of this, trust me. This just so far seems like a strange placement choice, considering the Mexican show building is literally looming over the buildings in this new area. I simply asked if any effort was going to be made to ease the view.
I understand that, but, in reality no one here has been in the planning room and knows what is going to happen one way or the other and speculation is a waste of time. We will see when they get done. Either way, it will be whatever they wanted it to be so there is no need to start wringing our hands over things that we know nothing about.

Clamman73

I'm the biggest proponent of this, trust me. This just so far seems like a strange placement choice, considering the Mexican show building is literally looming over the buildings in this new area. I simply asked if any effort was going to be made to ease the view.
Now we know why they don't want people climbing the Mexico pavilion since they would be able to see Sommerhus from up there. ;)

raven

Is any effort going to be made to hide Mexico from this area? Simply planting some new trees would do wonders.

Well? When you build directly next to another country there isn't enough buffer space to gradually fade into the next country environment. This was a top priority when Epcot was built but, sadly, they don't seem to care much anymore.

Matt_Black

Heh, nice try. Those "buffer spaces" were always meant to have other things eventually, they just never got around to building there until now.

ToTBellHop

Heh, nice try. Those "buffer spaces" were always meant to have other things eventually, they just never got around to building there until now.
Exactly. This building is going into a space originally designed to have a whole country of its own. So whether it was Arendelle or Venezuela, something would go there.

Brian Swan

Considering how popular the meet and greet has been in the past (starting at EPCOT , then moving over to the MK because the demand was too large) with wait times were reported to be at 4 or 5 hours. Plus the Frozen sisters have another movie coming out in the next year or two. Maybe there is more to the space then a cue for a meet and greet or they learned their lesson the hard way the first time around. Hopefully there is more than a cue but if it is, I hope it's very interactive like the Seven Dwarf Mine train. Time will tell.
When the MK A&E M&G first opened it was crazy; the line snaked all the way across FL and CMs were constantly having to maintain order, so I'm hoping the queue has a large capacity (considering how congested the area already is without 2 new kid-centric attractions). I'd love to see it be a beautiful "outdoor" effect with a night sky, building facades, "landscaping" and a wandering path through it all. What I fear it will be is a vaguely themed warehouse containing nothing but cattle pen switchback railings. Not that I expect that I will EVER actually go through it...

Brian Swan

Agree with most of what you said, but I had to disagree with it not being a center of progress. Epcot Center was definitely ahead of its time and God knows you were not ever going to see something like that in a theme park. I mean people had the opportunity to see computers and even interact with touch screen devices! It was 1982 and this was not something that people had in their own homes yet! Even touch screen did not really involve until later down the road. It is no marvel house now, but I would say Epcot Center was certainly cutting edge when it opened as far as what it displayed.
I agree. I first went to EPCOT in '83 when I was in my early 20s; a science degree in my back pocket and a USN flight student. I was completely blown away by EPCOT. There was nothing like it that I had seen anywhere (except maybe the NYWF, but I was only 5 when I went there). Every FW pavilion seemed to outdo the one next to it, there was a great balance between "education" and "entertainment" and there were many "new' technologies on display. Yes, EPCOT was cutting edge and the "best of the best" when it opened.

Castle Cake Apologist

Presumably, though, any new pavilion would also have been built in a way that the architecture from the neighboring pavilion is not visible. As stated elsewhere, WS pavilions generally follow a pretty standard format of a U-shaped courtyard flanked by tall buildings to hide the other pavilion from being visible. Sight lines used to matter, let's hope they still do. The Mexico show building has a very distinct pattern painted on it that should not be visible from within the Norwegian village.

The main Norway pavilion is as close to the China one as Royal Sommerhus is to the Mexico pavilion. It will be fine.
...but I cannot see China from within Norway, due to the design of the buildings. Great care was taken in the design of World Showcase to ensure that the various architectural styles of the different countries didn't clash with one another by being visible together. This so far does not appear to be the case in the design of the Sommerhus expansion, based on photos taken from within the construction area. All I'm saying is that I hope they plant some trees, or somehow alter the side of the Mexico show building to better fit thematically within the area. Otherwise, it looks kinda tacky.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Well? When you build directly next to another country there isn't enough buffer space to gradually fade into the next country environment. This was a top priority when Epcot was built but, sadly, they don't seem to care much anymore.
But didn't EPCOT Center plan to fill in all the empty country pavilion spots?

The weird thing about Norwendelle (you read it here first) is not that it is right on top of its neighbouring countries, but that it stretches out over two pavilion spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom