Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Wow. Obviously you hadn't been paying attention on the past several years. It was also on the first tier for Fast Pass. The "little attraction" even had t-shirts and other merchandise dedicated to it in the last couple of years before it closed. That, right there, tells you that TDO knew of its popularity.

Yeah. I saw long lines from time to time. But it wasn't because it was a great ride. It was just okay. It was short. The lines were long sometimes because there aren't that many rides in Epcot to begin with and it was like the only one in world showcase. Not to mention it had a low capacity problem.

Goofyernmost

Wow. Obviously you hadn't been paying attention on the past several years. It was also on the first tier for Fast Pass. The "little attraction" even had t-shirts and other merchandise dedicated to it in the last couple of years before it closed. That, right there, tells you that TDO knew of its popularity.
They still sell Figment merchandise... see much of a line at that ride? If it did move up in popularity it was very recently. I've ridden that boring ride at least 30 times (mostly for something to do to get off my feet) and have never had more then a 10 minute wait and that was when it was fairly new right up to the last time I was on it. Fastpass, might very well have created a false popularity. I don't remember it being tiered though. Are you sure about that?

raven

If Maelstrom were in MK, it would never had made Fastpass. The only reason it did in Epcot was because there are so few real E Ticket attractions- or even attractions over all.
As short as the rise was, and as bad as the load capacity was, it attracted a bigger appeal from guests than El Tiempo Del Rio/ThreeCaballeros boat ride in Mexico.

Just stating that they had plenty of room to build a new attraction rather than destroying one that was still pulling crowds.

Goofyernmost

As short as the rise was, and as bad as the load capacity was, it attracted a bigger appeal from guests than El Tiempo Del Rio/ThreeCaballeros boat ride in Mexico.

Just stating that they had plenty of room to build a new attraction rather than destroying one that was still pulling crowds.
It really doesn't take many people to outnumber those on Three Caballeros. I would reword your statement to be, was still pulling people in, crowds... not so much.

Kate F

Let me know of any attraction at WDW or any other Disney park, that isn't there to make money off a specific property or idea. I'll bet that they don't even know that they are racking the public over the coals and trying to squeeze a lot of money out of them.
Yes, everything in the parks is technically there to make money off of, but good ideas and creativity for the park should still come first and you have to admit that there is little to no creativity going into this attraction. Also, if you don't consider this ride a cash grab, than what do you consider one?

Goofyernmost

Yes, everything in the parks is technically there to make money off of, but good ideas and creativity for the park should still come first and you have to admit that there is little to no creativity going into this attraction. Also, if you don't consider this ride a cash grab, than what do you consider one?
I know this is looked upon as stupid, but, I thought I might wait and actually see the ride before I determine that it has no creativity. So no I cannot admit that as I do not know other then what people on this board have hinted too. Frankly, I don't think that they know and even if they did know what was there, my idea of creative and theirs may be two completely different things.

As for what I consider a cash grab, that would be every Disney park in existence. They guy who wanted to share joy and happiness and have an outlet for his creativity, died 50 years ago, since then the entire mission of TWDC has been to "cash grab" whatever that means. I think it means make a profit. Oh, how evil!

HauntedMansionFLA

A picture of the Royal Sommerhaus buildings

FrozenEverAfter_01092016-3.jpg
Great pictures - finally something updating us on the construction.

RSoxNo1

Maelstrom was a moderately popular attraction that needed an overhaul. Just not this overhaul.

raven

They still sell Figment merchandise... see much of a line at that ride? If it did move up in popularity it was very recently. I've ridden that boring ride at least 30 times (mostly for something to do to get off my feet) and have never had more then a 10 minute wait and that was when it was fairly new right up to the last time I was on it. Fastpass, might very well have created a false popularity. I don't remember it being tiered though. Are you sure about that?
Yes I am sure it was first tier for FP and yes often it was the 3rd longest line in the park (after Soarin and TT). I'm not imagining things.

raven

It really doesn't take many people to outnumber those on Three Caballeros. I would reword your statement to be, was still pulling people in, crowds... not so much.

So you wouldn't have mind it Frozen replaced say, The Seas with Nemo or Imagination? Both had smaller number of riders.
Maelstrom was a moderately popular attraction that needed an overhaul. Just not this overhaul.
Yes it did. But just saying that Frozen can stand on its own. Disney is constantly "replacing" instead of adding. Technically nothing has been added in quite a while.

RSoxNo1

So you wouldn't have mind it Frozen replaced say, The Seas with Nemo or Imagination? Both had smaller number of riders.

Yes it did. But just saying that Frozen can stand on its own. Disney is constantly "replacing" instead of adding. Technically nothing has been added in quite a while.
You don't have to tell me that Frozen doesn't belong in Norway. I've already wrote that article.
http://micechat.com/80259-frozen-world-showcase/
And again:
http://micechat.com/111127-frozen-norway-look-back-back-falls/

lazyboy97o

I wonder if they're going to Freeze the place out with the air con like in Antarctica at Seaworld...or atleast have it noticeably colder than typically expected.
There actually would not be a need to utilize air conditioning to create the effect of a colder environment. That blast of cold when entering Antartica is provided mostly by removing the humidity from the air. The big drops in air temperature come after dehumidification.

MerlinTheGoat

If Maelstrom were in MK, it would never had made Fastpass. The only reason it did in Epcot was because there are so few real E Ticket attractions- or even attractions over all.
Until the mid 90's, EPCOT had a ton of "real" E ticket attractions. Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion and Imagination V1 were all E's. American Adventure (while not a ride) is also an E. And while its present state leaves much to be desired, I would guess even Universe of Energy in its original form would have qualified as an E in terms of ambition.

Even back then with all the popular (not to mention high capacity and efficient) E's, Maelstrom commonly had VERY long lines. Throughout my entire life, including long before Fastpass, it was always popular and had long waits. I remember commonly being dragged away by my mom because she refused to wait in line for it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Until the mid 90's, EPCOT had a ton of "real" E ticket attractions. Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion and Imagination V1 were all E's. American Adventure (while not a ride) is also an E. And while its present state leaves much to be desired, I would guess even Universe of Energy in its original form would have qualified as an E in terms of ambition.
Indeed.

Plus Maelstrom seemed to have longer lines the older it got. Must have been due to lack of other worthwhile things to do. Over our last few visits when it was open the lines were longer, and we frequently skipped it and came back since you could see the end of the line from outside.

Even before the needlessly inflated Fastpass wait times.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Indeed.

Plus Maelstrom seemed to have longer lines the older it got. Must have been due to lack of other worthwhile things to do. Over our last few visits when it was open the lines were longer, and we frequently skipped it and came back since you could see the end of the line from outside.

I think visitor patterns shifted over time too, from FW to WS. Which, Maelstrom being exactly one of two rides in WS, would've increased demand.

toolsnspools

Indeed.

I've highlighted the ONLY reason Maelstrom was popular... Trolls and Oil rigs... REALLY? Like TSMM, the lines are long here because guests pay so much to get into the park, they are going to do everything in the park once they get there. As many have already stated, the capacity issues that caused Maelstrom to have long lines at all, will be a nightmare once the overlay is complete.

HauntedMansionFLA

Even back then with all the popular (not to mention high capacity and efficient) E's, Maelstrom commonly had VERY long lines. Throughout my entire life, including long before Fastpass, it was always popular and had long waits. I remember commonly being dragged away by my mom because she refused to wait in line for it.
What would it cost to bring these attractions back as a 21st century version for EPCOT? You think they could close down each pavillion or ride to update them. Plus it sounds like some the areas aren't even being used right now and you wouldn't even feel the impact while they work on that attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What would it cost to bring these attractions back as a 21st century version for EPCOT? You think they could close down each pavillion or ride to update them..
And that is one of the most frustrating aspects of the park. The facilities are already there. The buildings are standing and usable. The ride systems are available. There are obsolete spare parts to consider (Energy) and curtailed track length to reinstate (Imagaination) but half the battle could be already won. Energy could again be a dramatic theatrical epic. Wonders could have a state of the art simulator ride and a classic multimedia show. Imagination is crying out to once again be an awe inspiring, cohesive building with a stellar E ticket dark ride for the 21st century. The Land has a superb theatre ready for a new presentation. There is tens of thousands of square foot of exhibit space still lit, cooled and standing empty. There's a whole restaurant building ready for use.

It is a crying shame so much could be gained for so little relative outlay.

aladdin2007

And that is one of the most frustrating aspects of the park. The facilities are already there. The buildings are standing and usable. The ride systems are available. There are obsolete spare parts to consider (Energy) and curtailed track length to reinstate (Imagaination) but half the battle could be already won. Energy could again be a dramatic theatrical epic. Wonders could have a state of the art simulator ride and a classic multimedia show. Imagination is crying out to once again be an awe inspiring, cohesive building with a stellar E ticket dark ride for the 21st century. The Land has a superb theatre ready for a new presentation. There is tens of thousands of square foot of exhibit space still lit, cooled and standing empty. There's a whole restaurant building ready for use.

It is a crying shame so much could be gained for so little relative outlay.

amen, not to mention some of the smaller dead zone areas like in Canada that could/should be shops or something again. Also Japan's show building, Germany's right side etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom