No Sonny Eclipse until Jan 31

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Sick can be a good thing, too.

:hammer:

simpsons-the-doh-4900579.jpg

Rob562

Was that a cast member doing the announcement in the begining? Just curious.

It's a recording of the guy that's the "voice of the Magic Kingdom". (I'm blanking on his name at the moment) He does all of the park announcements and has been the voice for many, many years. I don't know if he lives in the Orlando area, but he must be under some kind of a contract with Disney, because he records new things on a daily basis, including the announcement of the Grand Marshalls in the afternoon parade (who for the past two years have been the daily winners of the Castle Suite). Though other things he probably does on a weekly basis because they know the schedule of the upcoming bands and other performers.

The person you see on the right side of the video is just a stage tech operating the lift, who needs to be close by and with line of sight to the lift.

I know that each park originally had their own "voice of the park" that did announcements for that park. I don't know if they still do that now.
For a while, Epcot's voice was Mary from the Comedy Warehouse, who did all the pre-Illuminations countdowns and warnings, as well as the newer inferno barge blowoff announcement. Though I heard recently that her recordings were getting replaced little by little.

-Rob

hauntdmansion79

I am such a huge fan of Sonny. It's an obsession for sure. I mean, come on, who doesn't love Sonny? He's an inter-galactic superstar!

I think the stage raising to have another band play at Ray's is the coolest thing ever. Great addition for the restaurant and also would be super fun for the bands who get to go up and down on the lift.

Aww!:( One of my favorite details...
Hope he gets the TLC he needs!:)
Too bad.....I've always enjoyed hearing Sonny and the "space angels" playing while I chow down in Cosmic Ray's.

Amen.....A-friggin'-men!

I'm shocked they aren't replacing him with a pins/plush/pirates/princess kiosk!
I would literally be the first human to actually have steam come out of my ears.

hauntdmansion79

It's a recording of the guy that's the "voice of the Magic Kingdom". (I'm blanking on his name at the moment) He does all of the park announcements and has been the voice for many, many years. I don't know if he lives in the Orlando area, but he must be under some kind of a contract with Disney, because he records new things on a daily basis, including the announcement of the Grand Marshalls in the afternoon parade (who for the past two years have been the daily winners of the Castle Suite). Though other things he probably does on a weekly basis because they know the schedule of the upcoming bands and other performers.

The person you see on the right side of the video is just a stage tech operating the lift, who needs to be close by and with line of sight to the lift.

I know that each park originally had their own "voice of the park" that did announcements for that park. I don't know if they still do that now.
For a while, Epcot's voice was Mary from the Comedy Warehouse, who did all the pre-Illuminations countdowns and warnings, as well as the newer inferno barge blowoff announcement. Though I heard recently that her recordings were getting replaced little by little.

-Rob

I believe the voice of the Magic Kingdom has been Bill Rogers since 1991. I feel like Bill might have also re-recorded the monorail as well. I know Matt Henson was the voice for the monorail for a long time.

Disneyfanman

Sonny is one of our favorite family traditions. My daughter and I, at least one time during each trip, go to Cosmic Rays and have a late dinner together. We exit out the side door onto the path next to the castle and watch the fireworks together. It's silly, and it's sweet, and we look forward to it every trip. Sometimes we have my wife and other kids too, and sometimes other friends and family, but my daughter and I have always considered it a special moment in our trip, and one that she says that she will remember always.

Someday somebody will explain to me how a robot singer in basically a fast food shop inside a theme park could become so special to my daughter and myself. She is nearly 20 years old, and I always think that she will outgrow it, but she insists upon it during every trip. We are 12 years of trips strong.

And standing there, arm in arm under the fireworks, after a cheeseburger and fries remains pure magic for me.

May Sonny sing forever.

peachypear14

When I was there in December, the only thing I noticed with Sonny was that his one eyelid was stuck half-way shut and not moving. I guess he had a little lazy eye that day.

WDW1974

I believe the voice of the Magic Kingdom has been Bill Rogers since 1991. I feel like Bill might have also re-recorded the monorail as well. I know Matt Henson was the voice for the monorail for a long time.

Jack Wagner was the voice of WDW until he passed away in the early 1990s.

I know he did the monorail tracks (as well as old WDW Radio) for years as well.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Sonny is one of our favorite family traditions. My daughter and I, at least one time during each trip, go to Cosmic Rays and have a late dinner together. We exit out the side door onto the path next to the castle and watch the fireworks together. It's silly, and it's sweet, and we look forward to it every trip. Sometimes we have my wife and other kids too, and sometimes other friends and family, but my daughter and I have always considered it a special moment in our trip, and one that she says that she will remember always.

Someday somebody will explain to me how a robot singer in basically a fast food shop inside a theme park could become so special to my daughter and myself. She is nearly 20 years old, and I always think that she will outgrow it, but she insists upon it during every trip. We are 12 years of trips strong.

And standing there, arm in arm under the fireworks, after a cheeseburger and fries remains pure magic for me.

May Sonny sing forever.
What a great story!

Sonny Eclipse is a favorite of many visitors to WDW. I believe he's something a person never 'grows out of', and in a little over a month I will be spending my QT with the greatest Lounge Lizard this side of Yew Nork City! :D

lightboy

Kinda wish Cosmic Ray's had live bands like they had YEARS ago. Unfortunately food and beverage would never have it...as some tables would have to be moved for a dancing area.

DisneyLAND still uses their pop-up Tomorrowland Terrace stage. And nightly (sometimes weekends only)...live bands will rise up out of the ground playing Top 40 hits of yesterday and today.

Really cool...and really fun.

Mike 08

May Sonny sing forever.

wow thats what WDW is all about right there. creating memories that will last a lifetime.

hauntdmansion79

Jack Wagner was the voice of WDW until he passed away in the early 1990s.

I know he did the monorail tracks (as well as old WDW Radio) for years as well.

Just found it online. Jack Wagner was the voice for almost everything until 1991 (Magic Kingdom, Monorail, Parades...etc.). Then It was Bill Rogers as the voice of MK from 1991-present and Matt Henson for the monorail 1991-2004.

hauntdmansion79

May Sonny sing forever.

That is a wonderful story. I LOVE IT! That's how WDW reaches our hearts.

My twin bro and me always look forward to our double bacon burger with Sonny as dinner entertainment. We wouldn't miss it for the world.

Can you believe I never took in a Sonny Eclipse show?

You, my friend, do not know what you're missing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom