No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

TinkerBelle8878

This could be a security and liability issue as well as a money making one. They're going to do whatever they want, no matter what people on here think or say. Just look at the latest ticket pricing nonsense. If they are going to implement this however, they need to add more food options that don't require any reservations and a variety of different food (not just the burgers and fries junk).. Food stalls, kiosks and more counter service with seatings. Otherwise, they'll be making everyone eat their food but there will be no place to eat it or get it.

erasure fan1

You can't spend a day at the park without a Cherry Coke?
Uh that was a joke... But spending aprox. $25 a day on drinks over a 7 day trip is a bit much.

We would get cups of water at the CS locations and use the Crystal light flavor enhancers. Worked well for us. Saved $10 every meal.
I did this with country time lemonaid packets and it still tasted like river water.

BuddyThomas

I didn't read every page of this, so I don't know what you guys are currently fighting about, but I do know that a bottle of this -
dasani.jpe

filled with this

absolut.jpg

makes for a pretty fun time.

Or so I'm told.

;)

ThemeParkJunkee

While I know there are a number of venues that do not allow outside food and drink, Disney was NEVER one of them. Because of on site stays, the cost of the venue etc....Picnic lunches were kind of encouraged. Along with other cuts and ticket price increases (if I did the same trip today as in 2014 it would cost me 18% more), DIS is acting like a company with out of control costs that needs to shore up all the leaks in revenue stream before it's ultimate demise.

So completely weird and out of character. If this becomes a reality, all the guidebooks for budget travel are wrong. All the "affordable ways to do Disney" are wrong and those "once in a lifetime" guests are in deep doodoo if they expect this to be budget friendly. They may cite security but it is nothing more than another cash grab. I am concerned.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While I know there are a number of venues that do not allow outside food and drink, Disney was NEVER one of them. Because of on site stays, the cost of the venue etc....Picnic lunches were kind of encouraged.

Not sure what Disney you thought you visited. Disney used to have picnic areas OUTSIDE of the parks to handle those customers... It's never been encouraged in the parks

They have loosened the rules on acceptable items over the years to accommodate all the insanity that guests try to justify and they've just stopped trying to enforce the older models. It's especially bad at Disneyland.

andysol

What part of Disney is a business is untrue? Have you seen any documentaries about Walt Disney? The man was far from a saint. Just because you don't agree with how it is being run now does not make it untrue. Being realistic and knowing that things change(even if I don't agree with some of the changes) doesn't make us ridiculous, it makes us realists. Unless you work for Disney in the corporate offices, you have no idea what is going on behind closed doors. How many Fortune 500 companies do you run? A lot of the decisions the Disney parks make are in response to the bad behavior of guests. Changing GAC, raising the cost of stroller rental to a ridiculous amount(because people would stick their 10 year olds that are too heavy in them and break the tires), RFID chips for mugs because of all of the thieves, list goes on and on.
So I have to run a Fortune 500 business to have an opinion. Interesting.

And thanks for enlightening us that Disney is a business. Seriously, I had no idea. You bring such knowledge to this forum- we are eternally grateful for your contributions.

Keep drinking that koolaid and sprinkling that pixie dust- because Disney is infallable, immune to criticism, magical, and lest not forget the most important point- they a bizzzzznessssss

Dartha Stewart

Can someone distill why other people brining in food harms them or their enjoyment of the park? I don't have a strong opinion either way, just curious why this is such an issue for some people.
It's an appalling practice that needs to be stopped. Plain and simple as that.

When I vacation to Disney, I pay a small fortune to be immersed in the environment of the parks. Nothing ruins that environment like unauthorized food product being munched upon in an inappropriate setting. When I am strolling the pathways of Tomorrowland for example, the last thing I want to see in Walt's city of the future is someone munching on a Taco Bell Triple Steak Burrito with mild sauce on the side. While it gives me some satisfaction to mentally cast judgment upon said burrito indulger as I casually walk by, it still distracts from the overall experience that my hard-earned vacation money invested in. Next thing you know, I'm standing in line for Space Mountain. But rather than taking in the sights, sounds, and ambience of the themed queue surroundings, now I'm thinking about how hungry I am for Taco Bell.

It's a lose-lose situation anyway you look at it, yet it can all be avoided if people would just leave their own food in the car or back at the resort, and purchase the offerings which are available on park grounds.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

When I vacation to Disney, I pay a small fortune to be immersed in the environment of the parks. Nothing ruins that environment like unauthorized food product being munched upon in an inappropriate setting. When I am strolling the pathways of Tomorrowland for example, the last thing I want to see in Walt's city of the future is someone munching on a Taco Bell Triple Steak Burrito with mild sauce on the side. While it gives me some satisfaction to mentally cast judgment upon said burrito indulger as I casually walk by, it still distracts from the overall experience that my hard-earned vacation money invested in. Next thing you know, I'm standing in line for Space Mountain. But rather than taking in the sights, sounds, and ambience of the themed queue surroundings, now I'm thinking about how hungry I am for Taco Bell.

It's a lose-lose situation anyway you look at it, yet it can all be avoided if people would just leave their own food in the car or back at the resort, and purchase the offerings which are available on park grounds.

Or Disney opens a taco bell in each park and your dilema is sorted ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Luxury vacations don't include subpar offerings, closed facilities, reduced staffing and incessant queuing despite "reservations". WDW is a value engineered destination at a luxury price point. Maybe if Disney treated its "flagship" property like a luxury destination, its guests would as well.

Precisely the point, And I don't think the proposed 'No Food or Drink' policy would be quite so roundly trashed if the in park food and drink options were priced at something approaching reality. traditionally Disney food items have had a delta over the local market from +20 to +50% now they are at several hundred percent. $ 2.75 for a BOTTLE of Dasani - give me a break, Even at the DIsney resort stores a small case of Dasani is $16.00.

Assuming Disney goes full bore with NO OUTSIDE BEVERAGES or FOOD, If we assume 150,000 visit the parks on a given day in aggregate if everyone buys 4 bottles of water that's 1.65 Million PER DAY in extra revenue, If we make the extremely generous cost estimate that each bottle has a landed cost of $ 0.40 that's a cost of $240,000 to Disney to purchase and distribute the water. leaving a net profit of 1.41 Million PER DAY - that ain't pocket change and will boost the all important PCGS percentage which has been moving downward. Just think at WDW alone they can get about $ 300-400 Million per year in just WATER sales.

As to the cost estimates WalMart is selling 1/2 liter 6 packs of Dasani for 2.65 at retail which works out to $0.441 cents per bottle AT RETAIL.

As to the so called 'free' water 1 - The average guest does not know about this, 2 most people who know about it are not going to wait 10-20 minutes for a drink of water.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Guys, guys come on now! Do we all really believe that Disney security are going to be confiscating granola bars and goldfish crackers at the bag check? I may have to eat my hat here but to me that is just plain silly. Maybe all the budget cuts have been to hire more guest relations cast members to deal with the upcoming complaints about confiscated snacks! ;)

Confiscating no, Turning the guest away like they do now with glass containers probably.

alissafalco

First of all, if they by a desert they are going to be plenty thirsty. ;) Second, the markup for food is probably at least equal with the markup for those precious souvenirs. And third, since food is a necessity and absolutely nothing else on the property is, then shouldn't they be upset about those other things before the need for sustenance?

Sorry, I hate to bust another myth, but, back in the "golden days" of Disney that everyone seem to remember with exacting clarity, I'm afraid that people that brought in sandwiches, etc. were far more plentiful then the percentage of those that do now. Theme parks were relatively new and anyone that ever went to a Carnival or Amusement Park knew how high priced food was in those venue's. Back in the 70's and 80's when admission was seemingly so cheap, it allowed more people to enact a strict budget and therefore bringing in lunch was the normal way of affording a Disney trip.

I had some friends that made their first visit to WDW in the mid 80's. They brought in PB&J sandwiches. In a resent conversation that I had with their Daughter, now almost 40, she still shivers at the pain of sitting on a bench eating a sandwich when all that gooey stuff was being sold at the counter service places. It caused her to be totally embarrassed. I would guess that she was around 8 or 9 at the time. She always wanted to go with us because we didn't bring food in. It was, however, something that you would see all the time. Some didn't know that you could bring it in so they would go out to the parking lot at lunch time and have a tailgate lunch. I always was concerned about the fact that their car sat out in that hot Florida sun. I hope they owned a very well insulated cooler.:hungover:
Im talking about now, today, not 30 years ago.

jakeman

Is this really a problem in the parks? I've never even noticed anyone with their own food besides the usual baby milk/baby food for a baby.
Problem? No. Infrequent occurrence? Sometimes.

Anecdotal, but I see a family with their own snacks maybe twice a trip (usually go for 4-6 days a few times a year). About once every couple of years I'll see someone with full on fast food.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Sorry, I hate to bust another myth, but, back in the "golden days" of Disney that everyone seem to remember with exacting clarity...
you criticize everybodys memory as being selective, then you immediately follow it with a story from your own memory which I assume we are to take as accurate?:confused::cool: (you know I luv ya, Goof, Im just sayin...)

erasure fan1

Not sure if this is serious or not but the funny thing is that this policy will not change this situation. There already isn't enough space to eat most of the time. So where will everyone who gets quick service eat? Anyplace they can plant their bum. Does Disney overhaul their food infrastructure to deal with this problem? I say no chance. So you are now left with the same situation you had before only now you have a bunch of ticked off people who feel more entitled than ever because of how much they are spending on food and drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom