NO MORE CoP!? (October 2001)

Tramp

Originally posted by disneydentist
Disclaimer: I personally like C0P. Now, with that out of the way and at the risk of offending a lot of people, I can see why it was closed. When's the last time that you saw even a moderate number of people on it? I can't recall when. People line up like crazy for Buzz, Space, Alien, and even the Speedway but not for C0P. Should they have left it open until it was time for new construction? Sure. Should it be replaced? Unfortuately, yes. It is a classic but one that most people don't seem interested in. At least in MHO.

I was there in July/August this year and it was constantly full...however, it was on limited hours of 11am to 6pm which may account for the long lines.

Did COP generate the same interest as some of the 'thrill' attractions....of course not...but there's an intrinsic element inside WDW that provides the "magic" we all feel during our visits. You can't touch it, you can't taste it, you can't see it....but it's there....it's called tradition. Tradition is the catalyst that causes your eyes to well up when the magic impacts your senses.

tmp

Disney is ALL about money. You used to be able to go down Main Street and have the Magic Shop or the movie theater. Now all they have is merchandise on both sides of the street. They even made that new Emporium (where the barber shop was) as if they need another store that sells the exact same stuff as the store next to it! Closing CoP is also about money, just like the closing off 20,000 leagues was.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We're all acting like it's gone for good, which it may well be....but, remember the motors aren't in good shape...why not close it for a bit and do what you can, and then run it until you can't run it anymore"?

Mattore

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
That's exactly right!

And if ONE theater was full, think of the other FIVE!

CoP was often not run at full capacity (except in very busy times, and only for a short while during the day at that). It had been running at this reduced rate for quite a while. While its true that there are 6 theatres, sometimes only 2 were loaded with guests, sometimes 3. Of course, there were times when all 6 were used, but it became quite uncommon. None-the-less, many people loved the attraction, and it is sad to see it closed.

Beauty and the

CoP is one of our favourites and always the first thing we do when we hit the world, for us it is Disney. When we last went we where suprised at how empty the show was, the first time we watched it there was only our family in the theatre, but how we enjoyed that show the kids sang at the top of their voices and the Beast managed to video the whole thing without any heads appearing in the screen. Hopefully they are just refurbishing because WDW just won't be the same without it.:(

nexus

Hey. Think positively:
Rehab may be a great thing for CoP. First off - I can't be the only one who HATES the 1964 World's Fair song.
"Great big beautiful tomorrow?"
ugh.
"Now is the time -- now is the best time. Now is the best time of your life..."
Gimmie back the song I remember from my childhood. Tomorrowland would be missing a big part of its soul should they close CoP.
On the other hand - a MAJOR rehab of Small World is absolutely necessary. The sound is fuzzy and the figures look like they've been through hell. Pep that sucker up and I might not cringe when the kids drag me into it.

nexus
:fork:

nexus

Don't get me wrong. iasw should NEVER be taken away. It's just that I feel it needs to be polished a little.

nexus

M:SpilotISTC12

I hate life!!! Why would they do this right after the celebration. They should keep it up in HONOR of Walt and the 50 years of DisneyLand. I am very Disappointed!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

General Grizz

Original Poster
matt88mph said:
Please, don't give me a coronary like that! Long live CoP!
You might want to write to Disney to save it.

NEW ARTICLE: "Walt's Heart and Soul" - http://www.d-troops.com/articles.php?id=525

EMAIL:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

WRITE! - even if you have contacted Guest Relations!:
Mr. Bob Iger
500 South Buena Vista
Burbank, CA 91521

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Mr. Al Weiss
President of Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: (407) 828-3464

Mr. James A. (Jay) Rasulo
President of Walt Disney Attractions
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

Mr. Lee Cockerell
Executive VP of WDW Operations
1375 Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000
Phone: (407) 934-7287

Mr. Dave Vermeulen
General Manager of the Magic Kingdom
PO Box 10000
Phone: (407) 824-4040

Mr. Phil Holmes, Vice President
Vice President of the Magic Kingdom
PO Box 10000

Mr. Marty Sklar
President of Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
Glendale, CA 91221
Phone: (818) 544-7251

Mr. Michael Eisner
Chief Executive Officer
Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

LilDucky

As soon as I saw the thread, my heart just sank... and then I opened it, and I saw it was posted by the General.... I started feeling kinda queasy, I'll admit it. However, I quickly realized that it was posted in 2001!!!! :lol: :lol: Whew!!!!! I felt like I dodged a bullet! Long live CoP! :sohappy:

luckyeye13

LOL! After I read the posts, I just had to login to the Cast Portal because I had read nothing about the attraction being closed. More confirmation that Carousel of Progress is still up.

"Carousel of Progress operates seasonally - currently operating"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom