No mention of Lights of Winter in the 2010 holiday press release

cowanfamily

It will be interesting to see how the attendance figures stack up against last years. With that being said, I hope everyone enjoys wherever they choose to spend their money at. My family and I will continue to enjoy WDW. As watered down as some think it may be, I still prefer Walt over everyone else!

jakeman

WOW! this is one hot topic. I have spent many trips at WDW. This year will by my first during the holiday season. I would have had no idea something was missing if I wasn't a regular on these boards. Switching ones allegiances from one company(WDW) to another (US) is an overreaction to disappointment. Don't think for one minute that the US faithfull weren't outraged over Back to the Future or King Kong being removed. It is a business. This country is STILL in a recession. Regardless of what anyone would like you to think. Certain things have to be cut so they can still make budget. At the same time they have to offer incentives to get people to come. This will be my 2nd trip this year. The only reason I can take 2 trips is because they offered free dining twice. Anyone that wants to quit going to WDW because a light display has been taken down or some attraction or show you grew up with is gone is just setting themselves up for more disappointment. There is a reason you fell in love with Disneyworld. That reason wasn't found anywhere else. Don't think for one minute that Harry Potter is going to make you feel like a kid again. You will go to US and spend the entire trip counting the days until you return to WDW.
That may be true for you.

Heck, most of the time is it even true for me, but with this one particular case, where one trip is centered around a certain offering at that time of the year, to have that offering cut back, precludes the value of that trip.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to go many times, and even work there. Cramming it all in isn't a necessity for me. I'm the kind of guest Disney should want. Some trips I don't go on many rides. I stuff my face with all sorts of overpriced food. I'm more than willing to buy quality high priced souvenirs. However, they can't fulfill the purpose of my vacation, which is to see their world renowned Christmas decoration because they can't be bothered to put them up. If they can't do this, then they don't get my money.

No hard feelings. I don't feel betrayed nor do I have any particularly harsh words for Disney. They've made a business decision and I am responding with my pocketbook. Simple as that.

floridabill

I thought disney was all about the people

Except last year Guest Relations at EPCOT was basically flooded with complaints due to the lack of LoW, at least according to a friend that works there.

I thought disney always listened to the people? So whats the deal I really do not understand. I mean people are there business! So why are they stiffing us we complain and they stick there noise to us! :mad: it is also very sad at the same time because this is not what walt intended. if TDO management doesn't get replaced I feel they are just going to run WDWin the ground! I thought they wanted to be the biggest the best and blow the competition away? I guess not anymore??:shrug:

Thurp

If I remember correctly, we were all told by people in the know about this topic, that the lights wouldn't be back this year but that a replacement for, I believe, next year was in the works. Could someone with a better memory confirm this? I don't think I'm making this up.

So I'm choosing to take a deep breath and wait and see. Things can sometimes take a long time. This, of course, does not mean that I won't be stopping by GR at some point. We can't just drop the issue and let those in charge get comfortable.

And yet that flood of complaints led to..... apparently no changes in Disney's plans for LOW.

Why not? Because despite the vocal loyalists who were upset, the vast, vast majority of future guests will not realize it ever existed and will not miss it. Disney knows that and weights the complaints received in that light.

All I was saying is that we overestimate the impact of changes on the majority of WDW's clientele. The loyal repeat visitors are somewhat discounted in WDW planning IMO because... they're coming anyway. For every loyalist who defects and doesn't return, I imagine Disney is counting on creating at least one new loyalist among the new visitors (who don't miss LOW or Horizons or a working Yeti, etc etc).

I agree with this statement. I am a DVC member and have always thought this way -- they've got my money so PFFFFT on me! No "free" dining plan; no "specials" (other than an AP discount), etc. :(

Regarding the LOW, however, I remember seeing them a long time ago (maybe in the late 90's?) and I remember not being very impressed by them. Now, I don't recall them "doing" anything other than just being lit. Maybe I missed something, but going by what I saw way back when, I'm OK with them not being there. However, if they are as fantastic as everyone here is saying they are (were) then I would love to see them.

Judy :xmas:

Mr.EPCOT

Oh my god, what the hell is going on around here? Was there a mass break-out at the insane poster asylum?

Forget Picard doing the facepalm, I think he's got a gun in his mouth at this point. :lol:

jt04

Oh my god, what the hell is going on around here? Was there a mass break-out at the insane poster asylum?

Forget Picard doing the facepalm, I think he's got a gun in his mouth at this point. :lol:

Wouldn't Picard use a phaser set to stun?

2gether

I don't get it.

I COMPLETELY agree. Last Dec was our last Christmastime trip to WDW. We head down next week because of exactly what you said... Food & Wine. Still a great product. And believe it or not, we love MNSSHP because of the great parade and low crowds. So I agree... There are still things they do well. But for whatever reason, they've really let the Christmas holidays slip... Which I don't understand.

Next year we're planning DL in December, to see the holiday overlays, WoC, and TLM. And we'll be happy to spend our money there rather than WDW.

Hopefully others take a similar approach.

I really only understand this only if Epcot is your favorite Disney park and you don't go anywhere else.

For me, the loss of LOW is more than offset by the Castle Dream Lights, which is by far the coolest holiday addition the parks have had in a long time. Combine that with the extra work they have put into the Osborne festival of Dancing Lights over the last couple of years, and the OVER THE TOP decorations at MK, HS, and all the resorts.....

To me the loss of Lights of Winter is a sad thing, but, please tell me, other than LOW, which I miss, how Disney has "let the holidays slip."

Just saying.

Mr.EPCOT

Wouldn't Picard use a phaser set to stun?

Yeah, but I think that Pixarforthewin would warrant it set all the way to kill, full atom dispersal.

Did we ever figure out where he works? I think it'd be fun to take his post history to his manager, and then punch the kid really hard in the face.

cowanfamily

I really only understand this only if Epcot is your favorite Disney park and you don't go anywhere else.

For me, the loss of LOW is more than offset by the Castle Dream Lights, which is by far the coolest holiday addition the parks have had in a long time. Combine that with the extra work they have put into the Osborne festival of Dancing Lights over the last couple of years, and the OVER THE TOP decorations at MK, HS, and all the resorts.....

To me the loss of Lights of Winter is a sad thing, but, please tell me, other than LOW, which I miss, how Disney has "let the holidays slip."

Just saying.

I agree. As much as I would like to see everything stay the same, change is sometime necesary. There may very well be a good reason why LOW was done away with as well. None of us are really on the inside when these decisions are made. Now, with that being said, get rid of COP and it's over!! LOL

trr1

Yeah, but I think that Pixarforthewin would warrant it set all the way to kill, full atom dispersal.

Did we ever figure out where he works? I think it'd be fun to take his post history to his manager, and then punch the kid really hard in the face.
I think he is no longer with us
RIP-500-square.jpg

Mr.EPCOT

It wouldn't need to say anything more than
hahahahahahahahahaha you people make me laugh I WAS THERE YOU ARE WRONG YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT YOUR WRONG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom