No mention of Lights of Winter in the 2010 holiday press release

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Lights of Winter reimagining will not appear for the 2010 holidays. The project was heavily worked on this year, but some logistics prevented the project from being completed for the 2010 season.

Disneyroks (not defending him) is correct about the LEDs, however, most people could have made that assumption when the 20 year old display was removed.

2011 installation..... still up in the air, but Disney is very much aware of the impact that the removal of LoW had on guest during the 2009 Holidays. The guest feed back was very prevalent on this subject.
I am glad to hear that. :wave:

However...

I wonder why they didn't start work on this sooner to have it ready for this season. Surely they had enough feedback by February to have started and completed the work by now.

I have been reading these boards for years and although I don't often post I do read them often. I must say that sometimes the entertainment they provide is just what I need after a day of teaching Third Grade! I feel like I know some of the posters and sometimes when I see a posting I can already tell where the whole thread is going. Thank goodness for wdwmagic!

Yeah, a lot of times it's pretty easy to tell where a thread is heading if you follow these boards enough.

Anytime you see a popcorn smiley, you know it's going to get interesting.

raven

Not sure why this thread is a surprise to anyone. I reported a year ago that the company announced to it's employees last season that LOW had ended indefinately. Why would people still think it's coming back when an announcement like that was made?

Moving on.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not sure why this thread is a surprise to anyone. I reported a year ago that the company announced to it's employees last season that LOW had ended indefinately. Why would people still think it's coming back when an announcement like that was made?

Moving on.
While I never expected the original I was hopeful for a replacement.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would have to assume that a new structure was also being constructed then? A couple of months ago someone had reported in a thread that the frames (LOW) were backstage and untouched near the F & W booths between Morocco and France

Lights of Winter are out in their usual spot behind the Epcot parking lot, wrapped in plastic.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Moving on.

With it being shrink wrapped rather than scrapped seems to suggest there is possibly some intention on it returning. I think the hope from a lot of people was that it would return this year, fully restored.

WDWFigment

Moving on.

Well, it could be for one of a few reasons:

1) "ended indefinitely" simply means there is no set date for return. It doesn't mean they'll never be back.

2) Company announcements to employees are often misleading or not frank and/or not everyone takes your word as the gospel.

3) People aren't all surprised, but rather, ed off. In light of the purported feedback to Guest Relations, regardless of the finality of the original decision, people might be irritated that Disney has taken such a dismissive attitude towards its guests.

Personally, I choose not to move on. This is something that ed me off last year, and I figured that fervent complaints to Guest Relations might have brought back the LoW in the spirit of "business goodwill." When they aren't restored after last Christmas' debacle, it makes me even more irritated in the message it sends to me, as a paying guest, that my opinion doesn't matter.

It would be much more palatable if Disney explained it as a business decision--but I don't think the company can. I don't think the LoW possibly cost money (all things considered). I think someone realized they couldn't use the standby line, "our guests expressed a desire for... (what...less Christmas decorations?!)" without it being roundly criticized, so they concocted the equally lame "obsolete technology" line. Disney has had a year to update to a technology that is readily available at Wal-Mart, yet still hasn't. There is an apt metaphor for what Disney is doing to its guests, but it isn't quite appropriate for this site. :lookaroun

dreamfinder

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Mickey’s Jingle Jungle Parade – The wild side of Animal Kingdom blends with a playful spirit of the holidays during “Mickey’s Jingle Jungle Parade.” Mickey and pals present seasonal melodies with a world beat twist during a whimsical cavalcade throughout the park. The high-energy afternoon parade runs daily from Nov. 26, 2010, through Jan. 3, 2011.

Santa Goofy’s Holiday Village is adorned with festive décor and perfectly trimmed Christmas trees and crooning carolers. And Santa Goofy and spirited friends greet guests for photo opportunities.

Is the Holiday Village new this year? I don't recall hearing anything about this specifically before. I remember seeing Camp Minnie Mickey having winter costumes on at times, but I don't recall seeing anything formal like this.

njDizFan

Well, it could be for one of a few reasons:

1) "ended indefinitely" simply means there is no set date for return. It doesn't mean they'll never be back.

2) Company announcements to employees are often misleading or not frank and/or not everyone takes your word as the gospel.

3) People aren't all surprised, but rather, ed off. In light of the purported feedback to Guest Relations, regardless of the finality of the original decision, people might be irritated that Disney has taken such a dismissive attitude towards its guests.

Personally, I choose not to move on. This is something that ed me off last year, and I figured that fervent complaints to Guest Relations might have brought back the LoW in the spirit of "business goodwill." When they aren't restored after last Christmas' debacle, it makes me even more irritated in the message it sends to me, as a paying guest, that my opinion doesn't matter.

It would be much more palatable if Disney explained it as a business decision--but I don't think the company can. I don't think the LoW possibly cost money (all things considered). I think someone realized they couldn't use the standby line, "our guests expressed a desire for... (what...less Christmas decorations?!)" without it being roundly criticized, so they concocted the equally lame "obsolete technology" line. Disney has had a year to update to a technology that is readily available at Wal-Mart, yet still hasn't. There is an apt metaphor for what Disney is doing to its guests, but it isn't quite appropriate for this site. :lookaroun
Exactly ,ed off is a good response. LoW were down after the 2008 x-mas season and will possibly not returning(or coming in a new form) till 2012? To make it worse, they probobly knew after 2008 that they would be coming down "indefinately". So that makes 4 years to put in new LEDs.

Maybe this is over-simplifying the process/decision making, but with overwhelming displeasure from their patrons, something should be done much sooner.

aladdin2007

Exactly ,ed off is a good response. LoW were down after the 2008 x-mas season and will possibly not returning(or coming in a new form) till 2012? To make it worse, they probobly knew after 2008 that they would be coming down "indefinately". So that makes 4 years to put in new LEDs.

Maybe this is over-simplifying the process/decision making, but with overwhelming displeasure from their patrons, something should be done much sooner.

You would think, and I agree. But I think when you get right down to it Disney does not care what guests think anymore, sadly. As long as it saves TDO money.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The one thing that we need to do is keep the pressure up. If Disney was actually surprised by the number of negative responses they got concerning LoW last year they need to be equally surprised by the number that they receive this year as well. The last thing we need to do is give the bean counters in TDO any ammo for cutting or shortchanging a replacement.

DisneyNut2007

Yes, Very sad.

Correct Disney is getting new LED lights for a new display. Hopfully it will be ready by November 2011.

Next, how about telling us when the Country Bear Christmas Special will return to the MK?

Then again, I doubt that you'll answer this one, Disneyroks, since nobody else ever listens to me around this dump.

DisneyNut2007

The one thing that we need to do is keep the pressure up. If Disney was actually surprised by the number of negative responses they got concerning LoW last year they need to be equally surprised by the number that they receive this year as well. The last thing we need to do is give the bean counters in TDO any ammo for cutting or shortchanging a replacement.

While I agree on keeping the pressure up, I once again feel the need to remind you to leave TDO alone and stop picking on them! That will only kill our credibility even further! :mad:

PalisadesPkteer

Disney built Disneyland in roughly 1 years time.

And yet they cant fix, exchange LED lights into or replace LoW with an other display in the same time frame!

Also, what about the Garden of Peace? No explanation why that could not be back this year!

So yes, I am going to GR at EPCOT again this year with my Bring Back the Lights of Winter button proudly displayed.

And when I wore my button last Dec 2009 several CM's commented that they agreed with me and did not like it not being there also. Even CM's at MK, AK and DHS said so.

puntagordabob

For us, after last year's trip, we compared WDW's offerings to DL's at the holidays, and that's why they're getting our money next year. DL's decorations are EVERYWHERE, not just down Main St. to the castle like at MK's... They have the ride overlays which are HUGE. Plus lots of special touches for the holiday that you don't have to pay extra to see.:shrug:

Rode the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay for the 1st time this month at DLR, rode the HM at MK yesterday...felt a sad thump in my belly as I realized we do not seem to get the Holiday overlays :( here at MK :(

Yeah, the Lights of Winter display really "sets the mood" as you enter World Showcase....Epcot seemed rather dark and depressing last Christmas Season.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney built Disneyland in roughly 1 years time.

And yet they cant fix, exchange LED lights into or replace LoW with an other display in the same time frame!

Also, what about the Garden of Peace? No explanation why that could not be back this year!

So yes, I am going to GR at EPCOT again this year with my Bring Back the Lights of Winter button proudly displayed.

And when I wore my button last Dec 2009 several CM's commented that they agreed with me and did not like it not being there also. Even CM's at MK, AK and DHS said so.

I've designed, installed, wired, and programmed similar in concept, yet more complex lighting shows in much less time.

There is no excuse except laziness.

officeboy

As was previously mentioned I can confirm the LoW arches are indeed in white shrink wrap on Woodpecker lane. Well something about the right size of the arches is anyways... My concern is that regardless of their current state they are not coming back. Relatively speaking the display does not cost all that much. I think WDWFigment hit it on the head. But there is some cost associated with its instillation, upkeep and so forth. TDO presumably has the resources to drop a few bulbs in and crane the things into place, yet they choose not to.

Overhaul it to use LED's? Great idea. They obviously know how to do this as they already did it next door. (Osborne was incans originally) This point alone makes me think we won't be seeing the LoW again.

As ,ed as I am about the removal of this attraction life goes on. Perhaps somebody has some scratch to build a theme park that would be museum pieces? LOW, Horizons, Toad, Etc.

rangerbob

And yet homeowners can build and install things on their own. I know that my light show that I do is only 40,000 bulbs and I do it all by myself and they have cranes and a crew of how many? I know that they have numerous locations that they need to serve but their staff could grow during the season to take care of the installations. I'll volunteer to be one of their seasonal staff and I'll do the LOW for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom