NO longer glasswear in DVC Studios???

dixiegirl

Original Poster
NOt sure where I seen or heard this but Is it true that the DVC studios no longer supply you with glasses and coffee mugs??( I hope this has nothing to do with the whole hotel glass thing that was featured on Inside Edtion couple weeks ago) Not sure if there is any truth to this but would like some info since we''ll be going to SSR next month. I find it hard to believe because to me as a DVC member it goes along with the "comforts of home" in your kitchenette also they stiil have glasses in all the other non DVC resorts as far as I last knew and their not going to have them for DVC members?? Please someone fill me in!!!!

DisneyPhD

From another message board, yes it has been confirmed that DVC has removed all glass glasses and ceramic mugs from DVC studios and replaced them with styrofoam cups. They didn't even wait for people to vacate the room after a stay, but were doing it in the middle of stays (not even on trash and towel day). If you disagree with this, please write to the member satisfaction team to let them know how you feel. DVCMemberSatisfactionTeam@disneyvacationclub.com

Another thing about this is that they didn't let the membership know about this. No one has received a response to emails as yet (other than the typical "we got your email and will get back to you within 5 days"
If this is done for sanitary reasons (as the Inside Edition clip shows), replacing these with unwrapped styrofoam cups is no more sanitary and washing these cups yourself will be even less sanitary than washing the glass counterpart. Some unscientific polls on this other site show that as many as 75% of the people responding to the poll disapprove of this and most are writing to voice their opposition to this policy. As far as I know, this is not being done anywhere else on property except the DVC studios. Again let member services know how you feel. They don't know unless you tell them.

The Mom

Premium Member
I rented a 2 BR Boardwalk villa way back when (around 2002) and as I recall the studio half had paper plates and styrofoam cups. (mightyduck can drop by and correct me if I'm mistaken) It sounds as if they're actually going back to what they did before?

But I agree. Unless they're going to come in and replace them daily, they should have ceramic/glass dishes. People buy DVC because they want a "home away from home" and most of us don't use disposable dishes. :mad:

DisneyPhD

We've been members since 2002 and have stayed in studios at all the DVC resorts (except AKV we're there in may and HH) and have always had the glasses and mugs. Mom is right that there has always been paper plates and bowls and plastic ware but we have always found the glasses and mugs. There have been conflicting reports regarding how many cups they are supplying. A number of members have said that the mugs, plates and bowls were not replenished on trash/towel day (day 4) or even on full cleaning days (day 7 if staying longer).
I know there are members who don't think this is a big deal, but to those of us who stay primarily in studios as our home away from home, it is. I realize, if you drive to WDW, then it's probably not hard to throw in a few mugs to bring with you, but we typically fly and don't have room to bring our own mugs. The whole thing has been handled very poorly by DVC thus far.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Disturbing news. I'm staying in Studios for the first time in June. I got 3 of them to host a family reunion on my side. This would make several members of my group (myself included) grumpy. I like my coffee in a ceramic mug!

Yanks07

Disturbing news. I'm staying in Studios for the first time in June. I got 3 of them to host a family reunion on my side. This would make several members of my group (myself included) grumpy. I like my coffee in a ceramic mug!
Thats the truth George!! :wave: First I heard of it, been a member since 01 and will contact the above link, thanks DisneyPhd.

dixiegirl

Original Poster

I can relate there, we have family members coming down with us and all staying at SSR in studios, in Sept ( 3 families) and have been boasting about how great "our place" is...So now they need to bring their own mugs and glasses is moronic, I've always used the glasses but used my resort cup for my coffee, the paper stuff we never really used...Hopefully if DVC recives much negative feedback about this something might be done....But chances are ....probably not...What better way for them to make more money than to have quests go buy theme park ceremic mugs and glasses...So Magical:rolleyes:

TwoTigersMom

When we went in December we stayed in a 2br at AKL, the studio side had only paper and styofoam products. Same thing in the studios at SSR. I just thought that was the norm. Our 1br side of AKL had all the comforts of home. Evidently, our mousekeeper thought it was too comfortable as she came in and took inventory, right in front of us before we even checked out :eek:

The Mom

Premium Member

I can maybe tolerate coffee in styrofoam if I absolutely have no other choice(but it doesn't taste as good) but absolutely cannot drink tea out of a paper or styrofoam cup. :hurl:

I even pack old ceramic mugs when we travel to fully stocked condos, as many of them have cups and saucers. I want my coffee in a mug, thank you.;)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
What about the glasses almost every hotel Ive stayed at around the globe provide in the bathroom???

As a non T or coffee drinker cant say it will affect me, though the current Mrs Sak may throw a teddy or two. Having said that we tend to get resort mugs anyway.

However surely this is a change to the terms and should have been notified and discussed?

dizMOM

Just returned from OKW. VERY DISTURBING! We called about the mugs and were told they were removed "for safety reasons". We were provided with 7 styrofoam cups that were never replaced during the entire stay even when we called and requested more. We couldn't figure out why it's "safe" to have glass mugs and cups in the larger units and not in the studios! We are NOT happy with this decision and I have sent an e-mail to DVC as was recommended.

DisneyPhD

The lack of a dish washer in studios may be their reasoning. But that to me shows they have no faith in their cleaning staff.

That's been mentioned as a reason, but the dishwashers in the larger units have warnings on them that the water does not get hot enough to sterilize the dishes either so it's up to the soap to do the cleaning. Which as you point out, brings it back to the staff and their inability to clean the glasses properly. I always assumed they took out the used mugs and replaced them with properly cleaned ones, but I heard a report that when someone called housekeeping to replace dirty mugs, a CM showed up and cleaned them in the sink and put them back. That person now cleans the mugs on their own when they check in to their studio.

Cubs Brian

If you need a ceramic mug that bad just pack one,they aren't that big or that heavy:veryconfu:veryconfu

We stayed at the Beach Club Villas (studeio room) between March 9th and March 14th and our room had paper plates and bowls along with stryofoam cups.

It seemed really cheap in what I thought was a deluxe resort.

In fact after our stay at the Beach Club we spent a few nights at the Galleria Palms (Near Animal Kingdom) and our room had glassware.

This is not a good move and I hope DVC management will reconsider.

Also, I do not believe that the styrofoam cups are enviromentally friendly.

Gary

dixiegirl

Original Poster
If you need a ceramic mug that bad just pack one,they aren't that big or that heavy:veryconfu:veryconfu

I think the whole point is its an inconvience....something else to pack....To me and to any others if your spending the amount that you are to stay at a "Home away from home" resort , even if its a studio you want that Homey feel...And I know at my house I drink from a Ceremic mug for my hot beverages and when I have family and friends over the same goes for them as well......I can go to a value resort and get glasswear but not a DVC resort??? Thats just not right!!!

slappy magoo

I'm not the sort of person who's constantly thinking of things for Disney to give away for free under the impression that "for all the times we go to Disney, THEY OWE US!" In fact, I usually feel the opposite; Disney is holding a gun to nobody's head to make them keep coming back, they provide a service, charge a premium for that service and caveat emptor.

Having said all that, when it comes to this glasswear thing, I'm not 100% sure what the rationale is for getting rid of the glasses - is it a health thing? Are the glasses not being properly cleaned? Well, in that case, give us an extra sample sized dishwashing soap so we can clean the glasses ourselves, and leave anote recommending we do so "Treat 'em like brand new dishes and just out fo the box, wash them thoroughly before 1st use" kinda thing. If it's because the glasses keep getting broken or stolen...the refillable mugs cost next-to-nothing, and while they make a huge profit, they could just as easily and inexpensively make small, SMALL (6 oz) take-home souveneir glasses for the rooms. THey'd be too small for most people to want to use them the way they use refillable mugs, but they'd be perfect to use while in the room, the negiligible cost would probably add a few pennies to the cost of your dues (especially since, technically, DVC is supposed to earn next-to-nothing or absolutely no profit on dues). Brand new glasses for every visitor, a little keepsake that works as extra free advertising for DVC once people come home (come on, you know you'll still use 'em at home). It's not the huge profit margin the refillable mugs are, but they serve a practical purpose and keep the customer base happy. It makes sense to me.

OKW1993

While being a member since 1993, we have always stayed in at least a one bedroom, once or twice in a studio. The paper plates in a studio should be fine, as most people do not make meals in there rooms even one bedrooms.

Maybe they should provide Members with plastic mugs, glasses at checkin that way they take them as souvenirs when they leave, and there is nothing to clean. As Slappy said the cost should not be that much. Or they can charge the members as they do with extra soaps, shampooes , extra trash and tidys and towels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom