No fastpasses available today?

PeterAlt

So I heard something interesting, I don't even recall where but hopefully someone can confirm or deny it. The motivation for Next Gen was to keep guests on property, but there was evidently a competing project to keep guests on property: Monorail expansion. It sounds too stupid to be true, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
No, it wasn't a competing project. It was one of two initiatives made years ago.

msteel

Yeah, you need the @ sign to make it work!

Someone say monorail expansion?

I didn't really mean that I thought he hadn't meant to leave out the @ (that's clear, right?)
And then later I realized that I was about to participate in a monorail thread derailment and well,...time to go to bed.

RSoxNo1

Another thought on this. Can the Fastpass+ numbers be floating? Perhaps every guest starts with a set number at each park (1, 2 or 3), and then upon entering the park they can get additional FP+ reservations depending on the crowds and when they arrived.

This would also allow for park hopping.

Weather_Lady

Another thought on this. Can the Fastpass+ numbers be floating? Perhaps every guest starts with a set number at each park (1, 2 or 3), and then upon entering the park they can get additional FP+ reservations depending on the crowds and when they arrived.

This would also allow for park hopping.

That's a great idea! Because it is great for guests and would permit park hopping, however, you can be sure that WDW would never allow it. I think they want to eliminate park hopping altogether -- again, following the recent trend of crapping all over the guest experience for the sake of raking in more cash. Two (or for some people, three) of WDW's parks can be toured in less than a day before hopping to another park, and I think Disney has figured out that they can get guests to stay in a resort and eat on-site for more days/nights if they're not allowed to park hop, since only one park a day for most people means more days needed to tour all four parks (or six, if you visit the water parks). I suspect that that WDW makes more money per [average] guest off of an extended stay in an onsite hotel (plus extended-length tickets) than they would for the same guest through the parkhopper add-on. Not to mention the fact that after a guest has toured a less-than-full-day park, they're more likely to head to Disney Springs and shop, or schedule a fancy dinner at a resort table service venue, or rent something at their resort, or book an expensive hard ticket event, or otherwise drop more cash into WDW's wallet out of sheer boredom, if they can't hop elsewhere.

For example, Epcot is a 1 1/2-day park for my family. It used to dovetail nicely with a 1/2 day at the Animal Kingdom. If we wanted to stay onsite and pursue the same plans and couldn't hop, we'd be have to spend 3 days/2 nights on property instead of the 2/1 we'd spend with parkhoppers. (Same thing with MK/HS). We're going to outwit them, however! Instead we'll just spend 2 days at Epcot, skip AK altogether, and do a lot of loud griping about it. ;)

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

That's a great idea! Because it is great for guests and would permit park hopping, however, you can be sure that WDW would never allow it. I think they want to eliminate park hopping altogether
I disagree with this. They push park hopper the way they do because it's a huge profit point for them. There's nothing but benefit in allowing people to park hop. I don't think the concept of stopping it so people add more days to their vacation makes sense from a business standpoit. I think they stand to benefit more from charging more for a 1-day ticket when you allow entry into multiple parks than they do by stopping it all together and hoping it means people stay longer. Just my opinion.

RSoxNo1

I disagree with this. They push park hopper the way they do because it's a huge profit point for them. There's nothing but benefit in allowing people to park hop. I don't think the concept of stopping it so people add more days to their vacation makes sense from a business standpoit. I think they stand to benefit more from charging more for a 1-day ticket when you allow entry into multiple parks than they do by stopping it all together and hoping it means people stay longer. Just my opinion.
Multiple people with connections inside the company have said that Disney is less enthused about Park Hoppers because people will always hop to the Magic Kingdom. I don't think it makes much sense, but whatever. When you consider that using Fastpass+ could help some guests go through the top attractions at Hollywood Studios in 3 hours or less it seems short sighted. If the tiered groupings remain then they've basically limited guests to 1 per day anyway.

I really get the feeling that they're making it up as they go along, and I don't know if that should be discouraging or encouraging. I do think that the more vocal us as fans are, the better chance we have at shaping the future of Fastpass+.

awoogala

Multiple people with connections inside the company have said that Disney is less enthused about Park Hoppers because people will always hop to the Magic Kingdom. I don't think it makes much sense, but whatever. When you consider that using Fastpass+ could help some guests go through the top attractions at Hollywood Studios in 3 hours or less it seems short sighted. If the tiered groupings remain then they've basically limited guests to 1 per day anyway.

I really get the feeling that they're making it up as they go along, and I don't know if that should be discouraging or encouraging. I do think that the more vocal us as fans are, the better chance we have at shaping the future of Fastpass+.
weird. we always hop to epcot. They have made it our only option, anyway- off-season, all the other parks close at 5,6,7,8. EPCOT is the only one open past 8! 9 pm usually. But I thought that was on purpose. It's where they have put all the alcohol and food. Funneling us all to one park means they can have less employees and more $.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure that THEY are making things up as they go along, but, I'm fairly sure that someone is making it up and passing it off as fact.

EvilQueen-T

Yes, I remember the circle vision. Really it was a lot like the Canadian Film "Oh, Canada" in Epcot. Like Timekeeper after it...it failed. Why? Because they had to stand up. Poor babies! It upsets me every time I think about Timekeeper, what a great show that was and Robin Williams was awesome in the voice characterization. Gone, because people had to stand. I would like to understand how anyone could take advantage of the 360 degree presentation while seated, facing one way.

As for Soarin, I don't know what motivates people. The first time I saw it was in DCA back in 2005. It was a walk on there. It is a good show, but, seriously I don't understand that massive appeal. Uniqueness, I guess.

so true. i had to laugh...circle vision always made me seriously car sick feeling so i always ended up sitting on the floor waiting to die but my parents loved it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think this is very clearly the case. However, it doesn't mean we have to go. The choices that they make will affect the choices that we as guests will make.

Agree - We don't HAVE to visit the parks there are plenty of other places which will give us actual value for our money.

JimboJones123

That's a great idea! Because it is great for guests and would permit park hopping, however, you can be sure that WDW would never allow it. I think they want to eliminate park hopping altogether -- again, following the recent trend of crapping all over the guest experience for the sake of raking in more cash. Two (or for some people, three) of WDW's parks can be toured in less than a day before hopping to another park, and I think Disney has figured out that they can get guests to stay in a resort and eat on-site for more days/nights if they're not allowed to park hop, since only one park a day for most people means more days needed to tour all four parks (or six, if you visit the water parks). I suspect that that WDW makes more money per [average] guest off of an extended stay in an onsite hotel (plus extended-length tickets) than they would for the same guest through the parkhopper add-on. Not to mention the fact that after a guest has toured a less-than-full-day park, they're more likely to head to Disney Springs and shop, or schedule a fancy dinner at a resort table service venue, or rent something at their resort, or book an expensive hard ticket event, or otherwise drop more cash into WDW's wallet out of sheer boredom, if they can't hop elsewhere.

For example, Epcot is a 1 1/2-day park for my family. It used to dovetail nicely with a 1/2 day at the Animal Kingdom. If we wanted to stay onsite and pursue the same plans and couldn't hop, we'd be have to spend 3 days/2 nights on property instead of the 2/1 we'd spend with parkhoppers. (Same thing with MK/HS). We're going to outwit them, however! Instead we'll just spend 2 days at Epcot, skip AK altogether, and do a lot of loud griping about it. ;)
They should totally complicate it more.

RSoxNo1

Toy Story Midway Mania Fastpasses are now gone before the official park time.

With the park unofficially opening at 8:30 am plus Fastpass+ nabbing a majority of Fastpasses for the day, it is starting to become a regular thing for all Fastpasses to be gone by 9 am.

That's kinda messed up.

It has happened a few times in the past week.
That's downright awful.

JimboJones123

That's downright awful.
Especially since Attractions does such a terrible job of managing the over saturation of Fast passes and they rely on a broken Flick system that represents wait times for the front of the line guests, not those just getting into line.

So a 40 minute line that is running 10-1 Fast pass to standby could easily turn into a 100 minute wait.

weedles

Toy Story Midway Mania Fastpasses are now gone before the official park time.

With the park unofficially opening at 8:30 am plus Fastpass+ nabbing a majority of Fastpasses for the day, it is starting to become a regular thing for all Fastpasses to be gone by 9 am.

That's kinda messed up.

It has happened a few times in the past week.

FWIW Ive been following on the MDE app for the last two weeks and it never showed FP gone that early

RSoxNo1

Looking at the official app it says 10 minutes for Tower of Tower, 20 minutes for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and 50 minutes for Toy Story. Toy Story fast pass was gone a little after 10 am. According to touring plans, it looks the crowds are average.

@lentesta, are you seeing standby times actually decrease in the aggregate?

NearTheEars

Especially since Attractions does such a terrible job of managing the over saturation of Fast passes and they rely on a broken Flick system that represents wait times for the front of the line guests, not those just getting into line.

So a 40 minute line that is running 10-1 Fast pass to standby could easily turn into a 100 minute wait.

Been to MK and DHS the past two weekends and haven't noticed any special treatment for the FP+ lines, just the normal a little from each line procedure like it has always been.

I waited all standby these visits and was happy to find the lines moving pretty well. Longest wait was for TSMM, but it was much less than the 55 minute posted time.

lentesta

Premium Member
Looking at the official app it says 10 minutes for Tower of Tower, 20 minutes for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and 50 minutes for Toy Story. Toy Story fast pass was gone a little after 10 am. According to touring plans, it looks the crowds are average.

@lentesta, are you seeing standby times actually decrease in the aggregate?

I have the stats guys looking at it. Give them a week - there's a lot of noise in the data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom