No fastpasses available today?

Bairstow

The FP return queue. It wasn't pretty. 2.5 hours standby. There were not any FP+ available all week and only a few paper FPs given out in the first 15 minutes the park was open on Saturday so there wasn't a queue for paper.

This is getting pretty crazy.
Perhaps a CM should wander up and down the standby queue offering redemption codes for the XBOX or Playstation version of the attraction if they'll agree to step out of the line.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is getting pretty crazy.
Perhaps a CM should wander up and down the standby queue offering redemption codes for the XBOX or Playstation version of the attraction if they'll agree to step out of the line.

Too funny, Kudos.

Guests were leaving both the FP queue and standby. With FP being past One Mans Dream that is a long, long FP queue. Guests were conflicted their next MME, many lunch and then their next FP+. Very unhappy guests in both queues and this is October.

It was pretty ugly for the first show of Fantasmic too. All these people had FP+ and guests in standby were told they had to wait for until all the FP+ were seated and that they would be standing IF admitted at all into Fantasmic on Saturday night. Disney had added a second Fantasmic late last week to the schedule but that too conflicts with MME. According to Disney you should have less stress planning way in advance. Not working out that way for many. The local AP holders were out in the cold all weekend, few good paper FPs and no rubber bands for them.

FP+ is not what it should be. For my upcoming visit in December, while selecting fast passes for my first day late arrival, I only wanted to select two passes at DHS but the system selected a third choice for me and recommended a time slot as well. I tried to cancel the third pass and the only option I had was to cancel all three. When making selections, it says "Select up to 3 attractions" but 3 is really a requirement of the system which is causing the system to run out sooner than it would if you could actually choose just one or two. This third choice will go unused and deprive someone else the opportunity to use it and force them into standby.
Perhaps some good news may be that standby moves faster as there will be fewer people using FP+ than expected, as with my case-in-point. It is entirely possible that the lines will be longer but the wait time may be shorter. Perhaps just wishful thinking.:)

doctornick

I don't understand how the FP queue could be that long unless they significantly increased the total number of FP (combined paper and FP+) for TSMM. But the fact that the paper ones ran out so quickly would suggest that they took the FP+ allotment from the previous amount allotted to just paper FP.

Has anyone heard if they have significantly increased the total number of Fastpasses for rides with FP+ being used?

Bairstow

I don't understand how the FP queue could be that long unless they significantly increased the total number of FP (combined paper and FP+) for TSMM. But the fact that the paper ones ran out so quickly would suggest that they took the FP+ allotment from the previous amount allotted to just paper FP.

Has anyone heard if they have significantly increased the total number of Fastpasses for rides with FP+ being used?

Another possibility, though I find it unlikely, is that people with FP+ return times are more likely to actually come back than those that grab paper fastpasses.
Again, I find this unlikely since people with paper fastpasses are at least certainly already in the park, but it's possible.

Could also be that Disney underestimated the liklihood of people who reserve FP+ times to actually come back. If they had anticipated more no-shows, they might have increased the total number of allotment to account for this.

All speculation, though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Another possibility, though I find it unlikely, is that people with FP+ return times are more likely to actually come back than those that grab paper fastpasses.
Again, I find this unlikely since people with paper fastpasses are at least certainly already in the park, but it's possible.

Could also be that Disney underestimated the liklihood of people who reserve FP+ times to actually come back. If they had anticipated more no-shows, they might have increased the total number of allotment to account for this.

All speculation, though.

FP+ should have a greater return rate than the classic FP model... because of it's limited use and fixed time window. But a huge line like this has to be because of either
- too many FP returners (allotment way up or lots of flexible passes out there)
or
- inability to process the FP returners (slow band reading, problems processing returns, etc)

It is also possible that a ride stop could contribute to this situation too. Stoppages that are short, they won't clear the line and the line will swell due to the stoppage. If that were to happen more than once in a short period, I could imagine the reported scenario too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can't speak for Saturday, but I was there Sunday. FP return was going through switchbacks next to jack sparrow. There is now a cast member that holds a sign indicating the end of the FP line for tsmm. I got in FP return at 6:45pm, and it took about 30 mins to get on the ride. I asked the cm at the checkpoint if there was any downtime that caused the line and she said no, but the FP return has been like that for over a week.

Interesting... thanks for sharing. Did you see the line being held up at all, or was it just that many people queued up in the FP line?

If they weren't being held up... that would infer Disney has made two changes simultaneously. 1) Significantly increased the # of FPs in the pool while simultaneously 2) Keeping the # of paper FPs to a bare minimum vs FP+

I fully expected #2.. but to do #1 and increase the FP to that level just seems absolutely foolish. People will see no value in the FP and just cry about how all lines are long at Disney in that kind of scenario. Hopefully they are analyzing this and will adjust. A FP line that isn't perceived as 'fast' will really hurt customer sentiment.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Doesn't normal, paper fastpass have a fixed (and enforced) return window now too?

Also, while others have speculated as to this I have a hard time beleiving that difficulties in scanning bands would cause a Fastpass line to back up. I can't imagine that the time to scan bands would ever exceed the time it takes to empty the post-merge buffer queue at boarding.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Doesn't normal, paper fastpass have a fixed (and enforced) return window now too?

Sure - but when something is scarce.. and you scheduled your day around them (both true of FP+) - a person is going to have more commitment to cashing in on their 'exclusive' passes. Basically.. scarcity increases the perceived value and hence people should be more driven to realize that value (use them). Of course that is a generalization and indidvidual scenarios will dictate otherwise.. but there is psychology there to drive higher redemption rates.

Also, while others have speculated as to this I have a hard time beleiving that difficulties in scanning bands would cause a Fastpass line to back up. I can't imagine that the time to scan bands would ever exceed the time it takes to empty the post-merge buffer queue at boarding.

Remember.. two different conclusions there. It's possible to have one, without the other. I can see delays in checking each pass (especially since it's done twice).. so that could backup the FP return line.. but that doesn't necessarily mean the attraction sends out empties. But there is a very real human factor in that the CM at merge has to take customers in groups... its hard to interleave guests from each line at merge. So when they take a batch from FP, there is a period where the rate of guests entering the load area is reduced. But it would take a long sustained reduction there to drain the loading area of its buffers. The merge CM should be able to add standby to offset the loss... but in practice I'm sure that is difficult to do because of the grouping of people and the fact people do not move instantaneously :)

Tom Morrow

There are a few attractions that don't have that "buffer" after the merge point, such as Everest.

Cletus

I think the scanning of the bands has a role in this, personally. One can only hope they don't get stuck behind a group during the cheerleader competitions who think the bands look way cooler on their ankles...

cheer1_zps015a27ff.jpg

danv3

Sounds like the MyMagicPlus "testing" phase has instead become a staggered roll-out and is generating a lot of ill-will.
I wonder if they anticipated this.

It certainly seems that way. This isn't a glitch or a test. It's the gradual, unannounced end of Fastpass.

BroganMc

Eek! Doesn't sound good for TSM at all. No wonder they wanted the GAC users out of that line. So they've royally screwed up FP+ for TSM? Awesome!

I guess there goes my plan to celebrate the new year with a ride. In other news, is the fact I'm going to Disney with my DVC points and have a Premium Annual Pass the reason I haven't gotten an invite to try FP+ for my NYE trip? Should I not be getting something by now? I check into Saratoga on Dec 29. Reservation is there in my MDE account along with my party, but it won't let me even look at FP+.

orky8

Experiment of the day. From a friend who believes Disney is definitely discriminating against any guest not dumb enough to pay for an overpriced room at a Disney resort. They are reserving fast passes for that elite class of visitors at the detriment of all others. She watched the FP operation online for Toy, Soarin', and Test. As is now common all Fast Passes for the common folks were gone by 10 AM today or a few minutes later. However a friend staying at a resort looked on the MM app and could book a Toy FP at 10:15 for 11:15 to 12:15 or 4:45 to 5:45. Most of us knew or suspected that was part of the unfair system, now I have proof. Hey Disney let me know when you will treat me like your favored few and maybe I will return. I will wait for the call.

More importantly, your so called "Experiment" doesn't tell us anything or answer the more important question of was that FP+ accessible only to resort guests, or could anyone with access to FP+ have received it. It makes sense that the system allocates X amount of spaces for FP+ and Y amount of spaces to regular FP, and that those allcoations are independent of each other. After all, eventually everyone with a valid ticket will be able to make FP+ reservations and FP is going to be completely phased out. The current systems with both overlapping is just a stopgap.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Eek! Doesn't sound good for TSM at all. No wonder they wanted the GAC users out of that line. So they've royally screwed up FP+ for TSM? Awesome!

I guess there goes my plan to celebrate the new year with a ride. In other news, is the fact I'm going to Disney with my DVC points and have a Premium Annual Pass the reason I haven't gotten an invite to try FP+ for my NYE trip? Should I not be getting something by now? I check into Saratoga on Dec 29. Reservation is there in my MDE account along with my party, but it won't let me even look at FP+.

Check MDE as often as possible, we were able to configure our bands around day 61 (10/21) and check in at DBW on the 21st, FP+ was made available at day 60 or 10/30 for your checkin date. I was getting worried that they were going to stop the testing during the holiday week but much to my surprise it popped up on Monday! Other guests have been able to link their PAP to MDE, I would make sure it is done and shows in MDE as far in advance as possible and check MDE daily until the Configure MB option shows up in the MDE menu.

I wish you the best of luck!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I think the public funding only paid part of the pedestrian bridges coming to cross the road not the garage. Not positive, I was just stating how far Disney may go to increase cash flow. They just started having valet parking at DT Disney a few days ago for $15 (not including tip). That is what triggered my thought process of where they might be headed. $

I had to go back and double check too. Reedy Creek will take out tax free bonds that will cost Florida and Federal Tax payers $85 million dollars to construct two parking garages. In addition in the same manner Reedy Creek will also construct 3 pedestrian bridges. Reedy Creek does not have to pay sales tax on any of the materials used to construct these where Disney would have to. Disney defends the tax expenditure as needed to alleviates congestion on i4 by depositing from the exit cars directly onto Disney property.

Some 40 years ago Disney requested the Florida Legislature to create Reedy Creek and FL did and gave Reedy Creek among other things the permission and power to build parking garages. Other theme parks do not have the advantage that Disney does as they do not have a similar governmental body as Reedy Creek.

I'd be surprised if RC would grant Disney permission to charge guests, especially FL residents to park in garages that were built with bonds taken out by RC. I can't see annually RC paying down those bonds while Disney collects revenue from them. But hey, we've all seen government do stranger things. Valet parking is different as I believe it is utilizing parking on properties Disney built themselves.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Even if it was a glitch it still affected people negatively. If there was no FP+ system there would have been no glitches in the FP+ system.
Quite true, but the initial thought was the system was working normally and all of the fastpasses for the day were given up to pre-booking. Of those 2 possibilities, a glitch was much less serious.

mmouse

Too funny, Kudos.

Very unhappy guests in both queues and this is October.

I mentioned earlier that we were there from October 10-20 and it was the busiest I have ever seen that time of year. Only time busier that I have experienced is week of Christmas/New Years. It was nuts last week!

Worth noting that the times I saw or experienced that were longer then normal for getting through the FastPass entrance, once through the actual wait time was normal for FastPass. For example waiting to get through FastPass on BTM the line was about 40 people deep. Once through though we walked straight to the next FastPass check and were immediately let down the ramp. In the end I do not feel we waited that much longer. There is no question that scanning the bands takes longer and they will have to do something. Don't be surprised to see handheld devices that can be used in addition to the 2 readers that currently exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom