No fastpasses available today?

bebert

I'm still at a loss here. It seems that the same amount of total Fastpasses are being distributed, a percentage to the Fastpass PLUS and a percentage to Fastpass. Even if it's 50/50, 60/40 or 90/10, the same amount of people will be walking up to an attraction with some form of a Fastpass just as before.

Yet everyone believes it's all mass chaos, children crying, families unwilling to wait in line.

I've said it before in this thread: since when did many get the idea that everyone is just entitled to walk right on to the ride?

Whoa is me! A 60 minute wait for TT, ToT, Soarin etc.

Feel free to check posts from years past. There's always been long lines folks. And we've always waited in them.

Resort guests shell out tons more money. What's so wrong with them being treated accordingly?

And this is coming from a lowly, local AP who likely won't see that big of a perk from this system, but understands it.

I see your point and agree to an extent but, I have to believe that the FP+ reserve times will have an effect on the visitors that have to get a FP when they get to the park.
If the FP+ holders reserve all passes between 8-1 for Soarin, then the remainder of passes from 1-7 are going to go very quickly especially if you dont get to the park early. I have been to WDW during Thanksgiving without the FP+ program and all passes for the entire day were gone by 10 am.
Within two year FP+ will be an add on just like park hopper, you will have to pay for it. That may take care of the problem right there. Kings Island here in Cincinnati has a Fast Lane pass that is an extra cost and the published numbers are only about 15% of attendees purchase that program.

bebert

Just got back from 5 days of using FP+

Had MK FP+ on late Saturday afternoon and there was still flexibility to get standard FP and edit FP+ selections throughout the night.

On Sunday, got to DHS at 10AM since I had TSMM, RNRC, and ToT in succession for 9,10,11am. Arrived 7 minutes late to TSMM and system allowed me in. TSMM fastpasses were not being distributed, RNRC had return time for 6PM and ToT still had them but I didn't look at the time.

Monday I had Soarin and TT back to back to start the morning and Soarin had 6PM FP return time at 9:45 AM and Test Track had late return times as well.

I was at DHS on Wednesday and it was very full. I had the same lineup of rides from 9-11 as Sunday. Got to TSMM 23 minutes late and Mickey head did not turn green but CM allowed me to ride. Arrived to ToT 5 minutes early and system allowed me in.

While I had a great time since everything was reserved in advance, I would have had a miserable time if I was not participating in the MM testing. Aside from MK, the other parks are going to have major issues with the lack of FP+ worthy attractions. Everyone is going to go after the same three selections at DHS, EPCOT (2 really at EPCOT since MS is not the most popular ride), and AK.

I'm really hoping it was some kind of bug with the FP system that caused such a scarcity the last few days but I really think this is going to end up changing everyones usual park touring strategies.
Thanks for the actual "live" feedback. If the wait times are like this in a slow fall, what will they be like during holiday seasons.
I guess my trip during Thanksgiving will be spending quality time in line with the family or just skipping some rides and doing other things we have done in past trips.

NearTheEars

I see your point and agree to an extent but, I have to believe that the FP+ reserve times will have an effect on the visitors that have to get a FP when they get to the park.
If the FP+ holders reserve all passes between 8-1 for Soarin, then the remainder of passes from 1-7 are going to go very quickly especially if you dont get to the park early. I have been to WDW during Thanksgiving without the FP+ program and all passes for the entire day were gone by 10 am.
Within two year FP+ will be an add on just like park hopper, you will have to pay for it. That may take care of the problem right there. Kings Island here in Cincinnati has a Fast Lane pass that is an extra cost and the published numbers are only about 15% of attendees purchase that program.

I believe what your saying is true, there certainly will be far less day of Fastpasses available, but as a whole, I bet the same amount of people walking up to a ride with a Fastpass will remain the same, regardless if they booked 60 days out, or day of.

The folks forced to wait standby (say it isn't so!) will likely be the same amount who walk up to a ride now without a Fastpass. All that is changing is how they are distributed.

Now, this is all assuming that they will treat the Fastpass PLUS line the same as they used to for regular Fastpass and not just waving them through continuously like some reported on one occasion about Soarin.

NearTheEars

Just got back from 5 days of using FP+

Had MK FP+ on late Saturday afternoon and there was still flexibility to get standard FP and edit FP+ selections throughout the night.

On Sunday, got to DHS at 10AM since I had TSMM, RNRC, and ToT in succession for 9,10,11am. Arrived 7 minutes late to TSMM and system allowed me in. TSMM fastpasses were not being distributed, RNRC had return time for 6PM and ToT still had them but I didn't look at the time.

Monday I had Soarin and TT back to back to start the morning and Soarin had 6PM FP return time at 9:45 AM and Test Track had late return times as well.

I was at DHS on Wednesday and it was very full. I had the same lineup of rides from 9-11 as Sunday. Got to TSMM 23 minutes late and Mickey head did not turn green but CM allowed me to ride. Arrived to ToT 5 minutes early and system allowed me in.

While I had a great time since everything was reserved in advance, I would have had a miserable time if I was not participating in the MM testing. Aside from MK, the other parks are going to have major issues with the lack of FP+ worthy attractions. Everyone is going to go after the same three selections at DHS, EPCOT (2 really at EPCOT since MS is not the most popular ride), and AK.

I'm really hoping it was some kind of bug with the FP system that caused such a scarcity the last few days but I really think this is going to end up changing everyones usual park touring strategies.

Didn't people always only get Fastpasses for the most popular rides? I don't see why that would change even if Imagination or Mission Space is added to the mix, folks will still book ToT and RNRC just as they used to run to those attractions first to get a paper pass.

I don't see why that's a surprise.

P.s. I'm glad to hear live reports also. Thanks!

jklakeview

Didn't people always only get Fastpasses for the most popular rides? I don't see why that would change even if Imagination or Mission Space is added to the mix, folks will still book ToT and RNRC just as they used to run to those attractions first to get a paper pass.

I don't see why that's a surprise.

P.s. I'm glad to hear live reports also. Thanks!

Yes they always did but at the beginning of a day anyone could go over and get a fast pass. Now unless you book in advance or are lucky enough to win the foot race to the attraction, the passes are so limited that you will NOT be able to get them. This is such a dumb system. They have the same issue already as they do with dining. This is so dumb.

stichrules

Thanks for the actual "live" feedback. If the wait times are like this in a slow fall, what will they be like during holiday seasons.
I guess my trip during Thanksgiving will be spending quality time in line with the family or just skipping some rides and doing other things we have done in past trips.
We were just there last week from Sunday 10/6 thru the following Sunday and trust me when I say it was not a slow fall time there. The parks were as full as we have ever seen them and we went a few yars ago during th week of the fourth of July. For some reason the parks are extremely corwded, look at how many Halloween parties have sold out already, both at the end of last week, we were there Thursaday and it was insane, and I believe all this week so far have sold out.

bebert

I believe what your saying is true, there certainly will be far less day of Fastpasses available, but as a whole, I bet the same amount of people walking up to a ride with a Fastpass will remain the same, regardless if they booked 60 days out, or day of.

The folks forced to wait standby (say it isn't so!) will likely be the same amount who walk up to a ride now without a Fastpass. All that is changing is how they are distributed.

Now, this is all assuming that they will treat the Fastpass PLUS line the same as they used to for regular Fastpass and not just waving them through continuously like some reported on one occasion about Soarin.
I will be there in 38 days. I hope I can report back that you are right and I am wrong. Because that means I had a good time and did not spend 60% of my time standing in line, just because I am not part of a "test" program.

bebert

We were just there last week from Sunday 10/6 thru the following Sunday and trust me when I say it was not a slow fall time there. The parks were as full as we have ever seen them and we went a few yars ago during th week of the fourth of July. For some reason the parks are extremely corwded, look at how many Halloween parties have sold out already, both at the end of last week, we were there Thursaday and it was insane, and I believe all this week so far have sold out.
Fall breaks for the kiddos must becoming more popular!

NearTheEars

I will be there in 38 days. I hope I can report back that you are right and I am wrong. Because that means I had a good time and did not spend 60% of my time standing in line, just because I am not part of a "test" program.

Once completely rolled out, it will become aware that Fastpasses will mostly be a perk for on site guests. They pay more, they get more.

Just like at other parks where you pay a premium for a line-jumping pass.

Does it suck that not everyone will be getting a Fastpass? Certainly.

In the grand scheme, is it unfair? I'd say absolutely not.

It's just a change in philosophy. They are showing that they want people to stay on site an here's an incentive.

draybook

We've been during September in 2008, 2011, 2012 and this year. During the last three trips there was no FP-. During the last three trips we never waited more than 10 minutes tops for Haunted Mansion or Pirates.

This year there was FP- and we never waited LESS than 25 minutes for either ride.

NearTheEars

We've been during September in 2008, 2011, 2012 and this year. During the last three trips there was no FP-. During the last three trips we never waited more than 10 minutes tops for Haunted Mansion or Pirates.

This year there was FP- and we never waited LESS than 25 minutes for either ride.

I think the key to that is in how they treat the FP+ line. If they used the same system they used for FP (a few from each line at a time) then it would work out OK.

But if the FP+ line is just continuous it wouldn't work out so well for standby. I assume they are monitoring this and will adjust accordingly.

At least I hope!

fosse76

It does appear Disney is looking at how Universal operates. First, the DAS return time is similar to Universal's and now Disney seems to be following suit with respect to FOTL access via FP+ for only those staying onsite. So glad we go in the off season.
But Universal's Express Pass is NOT only available to on-site guests...anyone can purchase the option. If Disney was really observing Universal, annual passholders would get food discounts and more generous resort discounts, and they would actually be building new rides!

rd805

I still don't understand the support some of you are giving for this. I'm not trying to start a fight - so pleeeease don't get angry. But if something is making it worse on guests, it is NOT a good thing--plain and simple. It will become harder for me to get to Disney in the future (from PA and a new Mortgage each month :/). So hitting every attraction is always a must for me -- everyone is clearly saying that while they are there, this is hurting chances to get on rides. I used to get every fastpass i could - why? Because i want to see as many attractions as possible.

This is limiting that opportunity for me...

asianway

I still don't understand the support some of you are giving for this. I'm not trying to start a fight - so pleeeease don't get angry. But if something is making it worse on guests, it is NOT a good thing--plain and simple. It will become harder for me to get to Disney in the future (from PA and a new Mortgage each month :/). So hitting every attraction is always a must for me -- everyone is clearly saying that while they are there, this is hurting chances to get on rides. I used to get every fastpass i could - why? Because i want to see as many attractions as possible.

From a industrial engineering perspective it seems to be a resounding success as @draybook is noting the rides that never had a line, are starting to load balance the crowds - just as was the goal of MM+.

The only way this will change folks is if you complain. In great numbers...but I seriously dont think that will happen.

asianway

...unless it works, and Art of Animation is full to capacity in 2 years.

And before we begin blowing the Potter trumpet, let's not forget, Universal's system of offering queue advantages to their resort guests offers an even greater advantage to these guests than FastPassPlus, and predates it.
If it works, TWDC will have even better numbers to show a prospective buyer, inflating the price of the asset and masking the underlying problems with the fundamentals. If MM+ is a success, I see an asset sale as more likely than ever. And it would be the best scenario for all of us if that happens.

Last edited:

ratherbeinwdw

People are confusing the benefits of an AP. There is a big difference between a Fl. resident ap and a general AP.
We have AP's, but we don't live in Fl. We have to fly or drive to get there. We can't just drop-in as many are assuming. We have to reserve and pay for a room like everyone else. We eat on property, etc. We don't save much on our tickets unless we go at least two long stays, and then the cost of a room and getting there eats that up.

NearTheEars

I agree 100% that it will be a new inconvenience for some guests. I'm just trying to show that in the end, when you look at it from the outside it isn't unfair.

It's just a different system than the old one. With big changes, some will be upset and some will be ecstatic.

TDO is banking on an uptic in resort guests who will see this as an obvious perk.

Also, I believe everyone's opinion is valid, so no fight here. At least for me. Just an exchange of opinions. :)

fosse76

Once completely rolled out, it will become aware that Fastpasses will mostly be a perk for on site guests. They pay more, they get more.

Just like at other parks where you pay a premium for a line-jumping pass.

Does it suck that not everyone will be getting a Fastpass? Certainly.

In the grand scheme, is it unfair? I'd say absolutely not.

It's just a change in philosophy. They are showing that they want people to stay on site an here's an incentive.
It must be nice to not know what you are talking about. On-site guests don't pay more for their ticket media. And there are many off-site hotels that cost more than staying at a Disney Value or Moderate (but are of deluxe-level quality). Universal's resorts include the express pass, but any day guest can purchase the same perk. So if Disney were to make FP+ available only to on-site guests without offering a way for day guests to also receive the perk, then it absolutely is unfair. When you offer something that benefits one group at the expense of another, a system must be in place to equalize that. Otherwise it's a bad business practice.

wogwog

A snapshot in time. Now. Wednesday in October. 11:30 AM Eastern time. Studios open until 7:30 PM. Toy Story 100 minutes standby, no fast passes available. Epcot open until 9:00 PM. Soarin' 100 minutes standby, no fast passes available.

All visitors during this test period should understand another word for test is experiment. Disney wants to find the optimum operation for the $$$ flow. They are able to adjust the FP or FP - availability at any time for any reason and you will never know. They will say the normal is a certain percentage of guests per hour from FP. The supervisor or manager of the attraction is able and permitted to adjust the sign that tells you the standby time at any time they choose to alter guest thinking about going in the attraction or walking by to another attraction with a shorter wait time. The little red cards they pass out so the computer will calculate the time is regularly ignored. Experiment. What will get WDW the maximum attendance in the parks and maximum resort occupancy at maximum room rate. All with minimum cost to labor or new attractions or entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom