No 5th gate but...

jmvd20

That track layout would have also added more stops to the monorail - I think the resort one has enough as it is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That track layout would have also added more stops to the monorail - I think the resort one has enough as it is.
Yep - the Persian had one, as did the Venitian; 2 more stops to todays 5. I guess they were sticking to the Disneyland forumla (especially with an unnecessary station - add one more stop!) Maybe we should be glad of the `'73 oil crisis.... the Asian would have looked magnificent, Bay Lake would have it`s much needed second resort (and possibly no unthemed bland DVC Tower to spoil the Persians dome) but the Venitian... glug glug glug!

gsimpson

Original Poster
Speck what did I say to set you off?

Hey Speck, why did you decide to make an assumption about my knowledge of hotel construction and the hospitality industry? I didn't see in my post where I talked very much about hotel construction I was just asking a question. I would be interested in knowing what in my post tipped you off to what you perceive as my ignorance. Your assumption is very wrong, for what it's worth, if you stay in the major chain hotels very much chances are you have seem my work in use.

spangu

Where is the magic?

1971 - Magic Kingdom
11 years later...

1982 -Epcot Center
7 years later...

1989 - Disney MGM Studios
9 years later....

1998 - Animal Kingdom
9 years later....

No 5th gate construction started or announced....and the 4th is still not finished (construction of the mythical animal section of Animal kingdom has not been started or announced....)

Guess they have other priorities for the budget!

But unfortunately somebody is keeping the magic elsewhere.

Enderikari

1971 - Magic Kingdom
11 years later...

1982 -Epcot Center
7 years later...

1989 - Disney MGM Studios
9 years later....

1998 - Animal Kingdom
9 years later....

No 5th gate construction started or announced....and the 4th is still not finished (construction of the mythical animal section of Animal kingdom has not been started or announced....)

Guess they have other priorities for the budget!

But unfortunately somebody is keeping the magic elsewhere.

Wow...
Despite the fact that this has ben discussed ad nasuem on the boards... Let me point out a couple of things for you...

No 5th gate - Of course there is not going to be a fifth gate any time soon. The market won't bear it, both it terms of guests visiting and in terms of human resources available. Instead, the money that would be going to build a fifth gate is dispersed among the 4 existing theme parks for new attractions and refurbishments to current attractions... This was already announced at the stockholders meeting last year... That is the priority for the budget.

And Disney's Animal Kingdom is a complete theme park. The "Mythical animal section" has been discussed beyond the point of nauseum on the boards as well... Suffice it to say, just because YOU want what equates to be nothing more than a dreamed-about Blue Sky project, doesn't mean the park is incomplete without it.

Besides, if you can't find the magic.. then its gone within you. In this "what have you done for me lately" generation, people are apt to lose sight of one thing... Not that it all started with a mouse, though that is indicative of the spirit of simplicity that guided Walt. If you require the Disney company to build a new theme park for you every 9 years in order to feel the magic, then brother, you are getting it in the wrong place. The magic is in the simple pleasure of walking down Main Street USA and seeing Cinderella Castle and believing that the princess lives there. The magic is seeing something new everytime you go there, and knowing that the little details you see were there all along. The magic is in experiencing the park with your children, and seeing their faces light up the same way yours did when you were that age...

So, I guess, if you are looking from someone to "blame" about keeping the magic elsewhere... :wave: I guess I'm keeping it with me

speck76

Hey Speck, why did you decide to make an assumption about my knowledge of hotel construction and the hospitality industry? I didn't see in my post where I talked very much about hotel construction I was just asking a question. I would be interested in knowing what in my post tipped you off to what you perceive as my ignorance. Your assumption is very wrong, for what it's worth, if you stay in the major chain hotels very much chances are you have seem my work in use.

your numbers/chains/facts could not be less correct.

Lee

Adventurer
There is a saying that people who know dont tell and people who dont know tell".

And as I have stated before:
"...and then there are some who know and do tell."

Any person who does know anything wont say because they would get in a lot of trouble and companies like disney who specifically put small amounts of people on projects till there announced can trace it back to the person who leaked it.

Not entirely accurate. I know of quite a few folks in the know who love to talk about stuff that isn't "official". All they ask is a bit of discretion as to when/how much is passed on to boards like this.
Me? I love to listen to those folks.:D

spangu

Sorry I punned...

Wow...
Despite the fact that this has ben discussed ad nasuem on the boards... Let me point out a couple of things for you...

No 5th gate - Of course there is not going to be a fifth gate any time soon. The market won't bear it, both it terms of guests visiting and in terms of human resources available. Instead, the money that would be going to build a fifth gate is dispersed among the 4 existing theme parks for new attractions and refurbishments to current attractions... This was already announced at the stockholders meeting last year... That is the priority for the budget.

And Disney's Animal Kingdom is a complete theme park. The "Mythical animal section" has been discussed beyond the point of nauseum on the boards as well... Suffice it to say, just because YOU want what equates to be nothing more than a dreamed-about Blue Sky project, doesn't mean the park is incomplete without it.

Besides, if you can't find the magic.. then its gone within you. In this "what have you done for me lately" generation, people are apt to lose sight of one thing... Not that it all started with a mouse, though that is indicative of the spirit of simplicity that guided Walt. If you require the Disney company to build a new theme park for you every 9 years in order to feel the magic, then brother, you are getting it in the wrong place. The magic is in the simple pleasure of walking down Main Street USA and seeing Cinderella Castle and believing that the princess lives there. The magic is seeing something new everytime you go there, and knowing that the little details you see were there all along. The magic is in experiencing the park with your children, and seeing their faces light up the same way yours did when you were that age...

So, I guess, if you are looking from someone to "blame" about keeping the magic elsewhere... :wave: I guess I'm keeping it with me

Boy am I sorry I ever used the wordplay on Disney's own slogan...seems I was a bit misunderstood....

I was simply saying that the park's growth/momentum has sorta slowed a bit....and that it is a tad sad they haven't finished the fourth gate if they begin a 5th.

1. First of all I am not bold enough to make statements regarding what the market can bear with regards to visiting guests and human resources available when I dont' have that kind of data handy. But I will be bold enough to say that never stopped dreamers from doing. Honestly I think the 4th gate wasn't needed at the time and was rushed a bit(just an opinion).

2. In regards to.. "Suffice it to say, just because YOU want what equates to be nothing more than a dreamed-about Blue Sky project, doesn't mean the park is incomplete without it." I apologize for bringing up such a sore subject that you are tired of reading about. But as long as those mtyhtical animals still exist on the parks front entrance sign( although if they have been removed I apologize), the park is not complete. The budgetteers have failed. Also I would say i am not the only one who would like to see this dream become a reality so the cpitalised YOU was a bit harsh.

3. And how is it s "simple pleasure of walking down main street USA" when the entrance fee is equal to 13 hours of work at minimum wage. Doesn't sound like a simple pleasure to me?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom