Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

ThemeParkTraveller

Yes, maybe even Orlando exclusive but I’m not sure.

What about Beijing? Although Nintendo appears to be a phase 2 addition, I'd be surprised if they didn't end up with the biggest version given the scale of the park.

On a slightly different note, has there been an update on where Nintendo is going at USH?

Mike S

What about Beijing? Although Nintendo appears to be a phase 2 addition, I'd be surprised if they didn't end up with the biggest version given the scale of the park.

On a slightly different note, has there been an update on where Nintendo is going at USH?
Nintendo is going into a new park here as well and there’s even two other parks to expand to if they wish.

No update on USH.

BrianLo

What about Beijing?

No, I feel pretty confident Nintendo won't be in Beijing. The consoles are not released in China.

It would be different if Nintendo was the owner and operator of Universal Parks, but they are the licensee. Universal won't pay them to basically act as a breech head to a market for something that is not their brand. Completely different when the brand is already popular to a market and you are utilizing someone else's brand to drive your own product's success.

However, Potter is not a significant franchise to China either. We know that is coming. Universal's/Comcast's decision making seems generally odd. I get Disney wants their own brands to be popular, but I don't understand why Comcast is constantly so interested in hawking other people's properties in a market that is not that interested in it. The Potter movies were generally unreleased to China and its best ever performance lines up to the Last Jedi, which was seen widely as that market simply not being all that interested.

My only hypothesis comes back to the Potter fare being universally the best thing they have going for them and they seem to have become resistant towards actually developing worthwhile things for the Beijing market. On that alone if Super Nintendo Land is clearly superior to all their other park products and infinitely popular with a domestic/Japanese market; sure maybe Universal will continue to be lazy and pull out the clone card, hoping for similar results.

The same theory holds for why it really does not make sense for Universal to ever utilize Fantastic Beasts. It's again not their brand and the core Potter series, currently, remains far and away more popular. But eventually they will milk it for all its worth and probably latch onto Fantastic Beasts too.

ThemeParkTraveller

My only hypothesis comes back to the Potter fare being universally the best thing they have going for them and they seem to have become resistant towards actually developing worthwhile things for the Beijing market.

And Universal clearly have IPs that are very popular in China to take advantage of already (F&F, Jurassic World, Despicable Me). I was really surprised they are just cloning the lame Supercharged attraction in Beijing when F&F is so immensely popular in China. It seems like a huge missed opportunity not to develop a whole land/mega attraction around the franchise specifically for Beijing (the only resort where a massive F&F presence makes practical sense).

Mike S

No, I feel pretty confident Nintendo won't be in Beijing. The consoles are not released in China.

It would be different if Nintendo was the owner and operator of Universal Parks, but they are the licensee. Universal won't pay them to basically act as a breech head to a market for something that is not their brand. Completely different when the brand is already popular to a market and you are utilizing someone else's brand to drive your own product's success.

However, Potter is not a significant franchise to China either. We know that is coming. Universal's/Comcast's decision making seems generally odd. I get Disney wants their own brands to be popular, but I don't understand why Comcast is constantly so interested in hawking other people's properties in a market that is not that interested in it. The Potter movies were generally unreleased to China and its best ever performance lines up to the Last Jedi, which was seen widely as that market simply not being all that interested.

My only hypothesis comes back to the Potter fare being universally the best thing they have going for them and they seem to have become resistant towards actually developing worthwhile things for the Beijing market. On that alone if Super Nintendo Land is clearly superior to all their other park products and infinitely popular with a domestic/Japanese market; sure maybe Universal will continue to be lazy and pull out the clone card, hoping for similar results.

The same theory holds for why it really does not make sense for Universal to ever utilize Fantastic Beasts. It's again not their brand and the core Potter series, currently, remains far and away more popular. But eventually they will milk it for all its worth and probably latch onto Fantastic Beasts too.
Nintendo actually is planning to release the Switch in China and IIRC Spirit said Nintendo would be in Beijing.
I just completed Breath of the Wild, and with the exception of Majora's Mask, I've now finished every console Zelda game. Zelda has enough history, characters, etc to be its own land. I hope Universal gives it all the effort it deserves.
If you own a 3DS I highly recommend playing the remake of Majora’s Mask there. It includes great improvements over the original that make certain tasks less frustrating.
There is a Zelda land drawn up, but where it ends up and when are uncertain at this point.
The old plan where there was only a show or a newer one with an included E Ticket? You don’t have to be any more specific than these options :)

BrianLo

Nintendo actually is planning to release the Switch in China and IIRC Spirit said Nintendo would be in Beijing.

That seems really odd though, doesn't it? Unless Nintendo is fronting some sort of cost towards it. It's a completely unknown entity to that market.

Not that I don't think Nintendo should be more rolled out to China... but what's in it for Comcast?

Totally different than if the Switch releases there and does stellar. Then totally go ahead and pull the trigger. Maybe it's a phase two wait and see type thing, which I could understand a lot more.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I wonder how big in scope a Zelda themed land would be? There are so many unique locations throughout Hyrule that would be amazing to visit. I just hope they sell flame resistant armor in the Goron City gift shop!

Mike S

I wonder how big in scope a Zelda themed land would be? There are so many unique locations throughout Hyrule that would be amazing to visit. I just hope they sell flame resistant armor in the Goron City gift shop!
I’d put my money on a land split between Castle Town and the Lost Woods. Any other big locations could be visited during the big E Ticket.

sedati

I was thinking the castle paired with Death Mountain would pair nicely ala Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle and Matterhorn.
Assuming the park will have a lake, you automatically get a Lake Hylia which of course means you can spend countless hours fishing with bombs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom