NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Like many here, I've wrestled with FP+ and NextGen and asked the question "Why?", WHY is this being done, and IS it necessary? I don't know the answer here. But, obviously there are those at Disney who believe in it and are fully behind it. The way I see it though is that this was seen as something they had to do, or at least that's part of how it may have been sold. Anybody who's visited WDW in the last 10 years knows that crowds have continued to climb, even at traditionally slow times of the year. And, with those climbing crowd levels, guests have changed how they do the parks, and expectations have changed, resulting in what I believe is a growing level of dissatisfaction by the average guest. Personally, I know of at least 3 different families who have visited WDW in the last 5 years who returned with a negative impression and had no desire to return any time soon. So, I'm just speculating that part of the pitch for NextGen/FP+ was to try and help guests with planning the "perfect" trip to WDW, whereby they would be guaranteed the ability to get on their favorite attraction.

If 17 million people per year still visit MK for example, there's only so many ways you can re-arrange guests for them to have the "perfect" trip. When Disney decides that some guests are more equal than others, it could lead to a majority of guests having a much worse experience.

I still think the best thing for WDW to have done would be to incrementally raise prices, while also building 2-3 more attractions at each park as incentive to keep coming back.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Its interesting, even most of the pixiedusters on the disneyboards are not too thrilled with the idea from what I'm reading.

I had been considering renewing my AP but now I might just wait and see how this all turns out for a bit...

Ignohippo

They will be getting rid of the AP's soon anyway...it's not near profitable enough.

Disney would rather your space be used by Bob and his party...they spend a LOT more money in a week than a Florida resident does all year.

Nice job spouting off your personal opinion as if it's fact. Did you get enough people riled up for your liking?

Disney would be insane to get rid of the AP.

BigThunderMatt

Nice job spouting off your personal opinion as if it's fact. Did you get enough people riled up for your liking?

Disney would be insane to get rid of the AP.

Considering the myriad of bad decisions they've made in the last 5 years, eliminating APs certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility for them these days.

Ignohippo

For Disney to be spending this insane amount of money on something like this, they must have strong indicators that this will be a cash cow for them. This isn't about "making every guest's experience better", it's about making money.

Besides the obvious data-mining implications, my personal guess is that this will be used as their new promotional incentive program. Gone will be the things that cost Disney money (like free dining and merchandise discounts). Instead, the carrot will be things that are completely free to Disney – Fastpasses, premium firework and parade viewing, personalized character greetings, etc. – things that can make the average guest feel like a true VIP and that will be hard for a competitor to match.

I can only imagine the been counters have been dying by seeing the costs of food and merchandise discounts over the years and this is their plan to curtail much of the discounting. What they fail to see though is that they're still making an enormous amount of profit from their costs of $1 stuffed animals and .50 cent hamburgers. It truly is an example of stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Ignohippo

Considering the myriad of bad decisions they've made in the last 5 years, eliminating APs certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility for them these days.

Exactly why crying wolf like that has gotten so many people flustered.

Disney getting rid of the AP would be a debacle epic proportions. Yes, they'll raise prices and get rid of discounts but they won't ever get rid of them. I would have to think that their bread and butter during the school months is the AP.

I'm sure eventually we'll start seeing the price per month promoted as opposed to an annual cost.

mikenatcity1

I am intrigued to see how it turns out. My thought is at least you don't have to pay for the fastpasses or other extras- most other theme parks will let you do a fast pass type thing or skip the line all together but will charge you a lot of money to do so.

Is it known if the wristbands are removable or will you have to keep them on? (sorry if it's buried further- i'm only on the beginning of page 3)

Next Big Thing

I believe this is a quote of importance in the article:

We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want.

articos

I am intrigued to see how it turns out. My thought is at least you don't have to pay for the fastpasses or other extras- most other theme parks will let you do a fast pass type thing or skip the line all together but will charge you a lot of money to do so.

Is it known if the wristbands are removable or will you have to keep them on? (sorry if it's buried further- i'm only on the beginning of page 3)
They are removable.

JimboJones123

If 17 million people per year still visit MK for example, there's only so many ways you can re-arrange guests for them to have the "perfect" trip. When Disney decides that some guests are more equal than others, it could lead to a majority of guests having a much worse experience.

I still think the best thing for WDW to have done would be to incrementally raise prices, while also building 2-3 more attractions at each park as incentive to keep coming back.
Animal Farm reference. Nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom