NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

Disneyhead'71

But let me guess, Universal hacking $25 off its AP's does not qualify as quote-unquote crawling back to locals.
You got me excited there for a second. I am buying 3 new Uni APs this coming Friday.

That is the standard Florida Resident Discount. Which is $50 off the non-resident AP price. They did NOT knock $50 off of the Florida Resident AP price. This price has been in place since 2011 when they raised The Florida Resident AP from $199.99 to where it is now after the opening of Potter. So it's nothing new. There has always been a Florida Resident Discount just like down at Disney.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I work in the credit card processing industry, and Disney is likely not storing the credit cards at all.

It works off of tokenization, Disney swipes your card once (or you enter it in via a website once) and from that point on the credit card processor has the info, not the Merchant (Disney.) All subsequent charges or activity is based off of a token that is unique to the merchant and would be useless to anyone else, even if they got it.

SO, no worries on this before, now or in the future.

Yes, but if someone drops their wristband and someone else picks it up, where is the limitation on them using it to buy something else?

SirOinksALot

You got me excited there for a second. I am buying 3 new Uni APs this coming Friday.

That is the standard Florida Resident Discount. Which is $50 off the non-resident AP price. They did NOT knock $50 off of the Florida Resident AP price. This price has been in place since 2011 when they raised The Florida Resident AP from $199.99 to where it is now after the opening of Potter. So it's nothing new. There has always been a Florida Resident Discount just like down at Disney.
No, the non-FL resident rate is 259. The normal FL resident rate is 224. Now they are 199. So get excited again.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Mardi-Gras/Florida-Resident-Tickets-And-Packages.aspx

Wait, no, only be partially excited: Offer valid on new purchases only; must be purchased and activated by 4/21/13.

Surely they'd match a renewal?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I just wanted to add a list of concerns that we have for this NextGen/ Magic Band thing. This does not mean these things are not already being worked out/fixed by Disney, but a way to just keep track of what we think are the potential issues we have with it, since some people are claiming that we're too negative.

I don't think we're being negative, we're being realists and Disney hasn't addressed the questions approriately yet.

Here are my thoughts/concerns from browsing here and other websites (in no particular order)

1.) What are the opt-in and opt-out options with the wrist band and RFID system?

2.) What will resort guests have as advantages over non-resort guests overall?

3.) How many FP+ will be available for the person who just decides to go visit on a random day?

4.) How easily are the wristbands detatched, especially when on thrill/water rides?

5.) If someone loses their wristband, how qucikly/easily is it for the RFID chip to be disabled (let's say if you don't have a smartphone)?

6.) How limited will you be if you don't have a smartphone?

7.) Is skimming of the RFID data going to be easily done by criminals?

8.) How can a family choose to go with different FP+ options if they're all planning the trip together?

9.) What happens to the FP+ if rides break down?

10.) Will people who visit on multiple days have to wear the same wristband during their entire stay (and if so, is there a way to wash it?)

11.) Is there a fee for getting a replacement wristband?

12.) If the guest is supposed to keep their wristband, how quickly does the RFID data get "turned off"?

13.) If the RFID info gets turned off, are these wristbands safe to throw in the normal trash?

14.) How will all of this be explained to the average guest who could barely grasp the normal "fastpass" setup before?

15.) Will there be extra CM's staffed to answer questions at various locations throughout the parks?

16.) Are any "partner" locations going to be using the MagicBand also (Downtown Disney shops and restaurants for example)?

17.) Are the wristbands waterproof?

I think that covers most of my concerns for now...apololgies if some of these have been resolved and I just didn't notice yet.

Disneyhead'71

No, the non-FL resident rate is 259. The normal FL resident rate is 224. Now they are 199. So get excited again.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Mardi-Gras/Florida-Resident-Tickets-And-Packages.aspx
Sorry, I just went to their website and saw the regular FL Resident prices. I didn't see the the Mardi Gras promotion, I scrolled right past it. But to get back to your original question, I wouldn't call it crawling back to locals since Universal has ALWAYS pandered to locals. We are their bread and butter. UOR demographic more closely resembles Disneyland Resorts Demographic of around 60% being within a 4 hour drive. And Universal has always valued the locals unlike WDW, that has a rather dismissive attitude towards guests that don't fill their hotel rooms.

Cosmic Commando

Yes, but if someone drops their wristband and someone else picks it up, where is the limitation on them using it to buy something else?
The original plan was to require a PIN for purchases over $50. Recently, it was changed so that all purchases will need a PIN. As long as you don't make your PIN "1234", you'll probably be fine there. I'm more worried about whether or not someone will be able to spoof a band and use it on the hotel room door.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The original plan was to require a PIN for purchases over $50. Recently, it was changed so that all purchases will need a PIN. As long as you don't make your PIN "1234", you'll probably be fine there. I'm more worried about whether or not someone will be able to spoof a band and use it on the hotel room door.
Just think about how many people will use 1234. o_O

Cosmic Commando

That would probably be good enough. I don't think most thieves or "1234" people are up on their WDW history. And kids probably don't even think year numbers go back that far.

Edit: But if I ever find your band, I'll be sure to try that one. Thanks for the tip. And 1983, based on your avatar. ;)

disneydudette

This "risk" is nothing new if you've stayed at Disney Resort and applied charging privileges to your Keys to the World card in the past. On our last trip, while using our KTTW cards throughout the week, we were never asked for ID, for a pin, etc. We simply swiped, and went about our business. I thought I had read that Disney decided to attach a "pin" to the Magic Bands when using charging privileges... therefore being a more secure system then the current one in place.

Either way... what's the motivation for Disney to switch to these Bracelets?

Based on the current room entry design, there doesn't seem to be any issue with making the KTTW cards RFID-ready. Therefore room entry, park tickets, and charging privileges are non-issues.

I can maybe see the argument of "ease of use"... no digging through wallets, backpacks, pockets, etc. while in lines for park entry, quick service locations, and to "cash in" FP experiences. Perhaps a more stream lined process is the goal?

What does a Magic Band "accomplish" that an RFID KTTW card can't? Even the FP+ option for non-resort guests is an RFID credit sized card.

Is it a visible statement? Disney Resort guests vs. Off Site guests? Why would Disney need (or want) to differentiate?

Does Disney gain anything by a family of 4 wearing a bracelet throughout their day at the park vs. Mom or Dad keeping all 4 KTTW cards on one sole person?

Did someone post a good explanation (or speculation) on this? I think I read on here that it may have to do with the hope of increased, care-free spending... is that still the assumption?

disneydudette

I just wanted to add a list of concerns that we have for this NextGen/ Magic Band thing...I think that covers most of my concerns for now...apololgies if some of these have been resolved and I just didn't notice yet.

Missed this response while I was typing mine. Completely agree with your concerns.

RAXIP

It used to be biometric, some years ago you put multiple fingers down and the distances where measured. Now, with one finger I am pretty sure it is fingerprint.
From Disney:

What information is collected through the Ticket Tag service?

In order to use Ticket Tag, you simply place your finger on a reader. The system, which utilizes the technology of biometrics, takes an image of your finger, converts the image into a unique numerical value and immediately discards the image. The numerical value is recalled when you use Ticket Tag with the same ticket to reenter or visit another park. Ticket Tag does not store fingerprints.

CaptainShortty

It is the same as if you dropped a room key and someone picked it up and started charging things. Actually, with the new touch to pay devices, it's becoming more secure because of the need for a pin to be entered for anything over $50. With the current KTTW cards, if a new card is cut it deactivates the old one. The same process will be true with the MagicBands although they won't be "reprinted". They will be able to be turned "off" by either going to guest relations or calling/visiting the resort front desk and then when you receive another one it will then be activated.

CaptainShortty

I just wanted to add a list of concerns that we have for this NextGen/ Magic Band thing. This does not mean these things are not already being worked out/fixed by Disney, but a way to just keep track of what we think are the potential issues we have with it, since some people are claiming that we're too negative.

I don't think we're being negative, we're being realists and Disney hasn't addressed the questions approriately yet.

I'll answer what I can between what I know and what I'm allowed to say.

Here are my thoughts/concerns from browsing here and other websites (in no particular order)

1.) What are the opt-in and opt-out options with the wrist band and RFID system?

RFID are enabled in both the KTTW cards and the MagicBands. During role-out KTTW cards will still be used along with the Magic Bands. Beyond that, I am not sure but I imagine that the KTTW cards will still be an option for those that opt out of the band. That being said, they will still be using the RFID for park entry, TTP, etc.

2.) What will resort guests have as advantages over non-resort guests overall?

3.) How many FP+ will be available for the person who just decides to go visit on a random day?

4.) How easily are the wristbands detatched, especially when on thrill/water rides?

I got to put one on the other day. They are easily taken on and off but when they are on they are very secure. I can't see them easily falling off. And they are waterproof so no need to worry about water rides/water parks.

5.) If someone loses their wristband, how qucikly/easily is it for the RFID chip to be disabled (let's say if you don't have a smartphone)?

Same as with the KTTW cards, that can be taken care of at Guest Relations or by calling/visiting a resort front desk (does not have to be your resort).

6.) How limited will you be if you don't have a smartphone?

7.) Is skimming of the RFID data going to be easily done by criminals?

8.) How can a family choose to go with different FP+ options if they're all planning the trip together?

9.) What happens to the FP+ if rides break down?

Attractions are currently in the process of determining the exact guidelines for this scenario but I would imagine it would be a similar to what happens if a FP ride breaks down now. The FPs are usually accepted from inside the ride downtime window for the rest of the day.

10.) Will people who visit on multiple days have to wear the same wristband during their entire stay (and if so, is there a way to wash it?)

Each person will have one wristband for your entire stay. They are waterproof and can be easily washed whenever you like.

11.) Is there a fee for getting a replacement wristband?

12.) If the guest is supposed to keep their wristband, how quickly does the RFID data get "turned off"?

Not sure of this one but I believe it will be like a room key now, so midnight on your check-out day for room, CC and dining plan and differing depending on what type of ticket you have.

13.) If the RFID info gets turned off, are these wristbands safe to throw in the normal trash?

14.) How will all of this be explained to the average guest who could barely grasp the normal "fastpass" setup before?

15.) Will there be extra CM's staffed to answer questions at various locations throughout the parks?

Yes, Disney is very aware that guest's are going to need "training" on the new system and is staffing accordingly.

16.) Are any "partner" locations going to be using the MagicBand also (Downtown Disney shops and restaurants for example)?

17.) Are the wristbands waterproof?

Yes

Hope that helps!!

I think that covers most of my concerns for now...apololgies if some of these have been resolved and I just didn't notice yet.

SirLink

It is the same as if you dropped a room key and someone picked it up and started charging things. Actually, with the new touch to pay devices, it's becoming more secure because of the need for a pin to be entered for anything over $50. With the current KTTW cards, if a new card is cut it deactivates the old one. The same process will be true with the MagicBands although they won't be "reprinted". They will be able to be turned "off" by either going to guest relations or calling/visiting the resort front desk and then when you receive another one it will then be activated.

Don't you mean for any purchases at all ;), but to NextGen urgh!

djlaosc

Let's see how fast the Mouse comes crawling back to us locals/APers when the exchange rate tips and jet fuel prices go up. It's already starting to happen. UKers are reconsidering their Holidays. And the Brazilian economy is stalling.

Yeah, in the UK we've already had one tour operator looking to pull out of Florida (Monarch) and other tour operators are combining flights

ParentsOf4

Considering the UK governement is trying desperately not for the exchange rate to hit $1.60 and they have nightmares of it hitting $1.70...but back to your regular scheduled MAGIC...
Yes, the U.S. dollar is pretty weak right now. If it was not for a weak U.S. dollar, WDW attendance would have plummeted. The people running TWDC know this which is why they should be working on a long-term strategy to get WDW back on track. Publicly, it's the 1, 2, 3 punch of FLE, NextGen, and Avatarland. Publicly, they should stick to that story in order to not frighten customers or shareholders. Privately, they better be working on a better game plan and be prepared to run with it if NextGen is not the huge success they want it to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom