NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

doctornick

I agree - everyone is hell bent on the idea 'no FPs will be available for me...' - Do they not think Disney would realize that?

What if we turned the tables and said

"What if I said you can always get a FP - and never worry about them running out. Would that interest you? Yes? Ok, what if I could give you that with the tradeoff of you can only get 1 FP per attraction per day and I limit how many FPs you can have total. Are you still interested?"

Disney CAN offer such a model with this system (within reason). But because everyone is so fixated on seeing how it can't work - they aren't willing to explore the possibilities of a system with different constraints from what they assume the model will be - simply be current FP+advance booking of it.

I keep thinking that is going to be part of it. If they have a certain allotment of FP per day and not all of them are accounted for ahead of time, why wouldn't WDW offer the remaining FP as an in park perk? Even if regular FP is going goodbye, this can be done via your smartphone or at the stations in the park.

And if something like that happens and you can pick up in park FP without having to run to different attractions and if you can select from available times (both reasonably plausible with this system), that would be a big improvement over the current setup.

EvilQueen-T

personally i cringe over the process of them going paperless. when i renewed my annual pass in early december i had renewed online and brought in my voucher 3 days before the expiration of the current pass. after a FULL HOUR at the magic kingdom will call windows, being deleted completely out of the system by the cm "helping me", and then watching as 3 cm's spent the hour trying to fix their (insert bad language here) mistakes all i could think of was these are the people who will be handling all the changes and are saying we should turn in our paper ap tickets...you know...the proof that we've spent hundreds of dollars to walk through the door? but then it's ok right...after all they've been doing such a great job lately of changing over the website...(yes i'm feeling sarcastic/snarky over the changes) good lord it's going to be stressful waiting for them to get things straightened out.

TRONorail10

personally i cringe over the process of them going paperless. when i renewed my annual pass in early december i had renewed online and brought in my voucher 3 days before the expiration of the current pass. after a FULL HOUR at the magic kingdom will call windows, being deleted completely out of the system by the cm "helping me", and then watching as 3 cm's spent the hour trying to fix their (insert bad language here) mistakes all i could think of was these are the people who will be handling all the changes and are saying we should turn in our paper ap tickets...you know...the proof that we've spent hundreds of dollars to walk through the door? but then it's ok right...after all they've been doing such a great job lately of changing over the website...(yes i'm feeling sarcastic/snarky over the changes) good lord it's going to be stressful waiting for them to get things straightened out.

You shouldn't judge an entire process based off an isolated incident you experienced. It doesn't matter if it's Disney World or your own place of work, things go wrong. We do not live in a perfect world. What matters is that they fixed the issue and then they probably compensated you with a fastpass or something. All cast members who will be utilizing aspects of NextGen are being trained specifically for it. Disney actually has a park support team consisting of hundreds of cast members who work specifically on NextGen (they are walking around in blue shirts with the Mickey Dot on the left), as well as having hired several hundred more guest relations cast members to assist in the transition.

TRONorail10

They do still have fingerprinting. Here is what they look like:

540e2f23eaca87a07fd8c864dd7bd23b.jpg

It's not a fingerprint, it's a bio-metric scan. There IS a difference. A fingerprint is an exact visual representation of a specific finger. A bio-metric scan is a measurement of specific points on the finger.

Disneyhead'71

It's not a fingerprint, it's a bio-metric scan. There IS a difference. A fingerprint is an exact visual representation of a specific finger. A bio-metric scan is a measurement of specific points on the finger.
There really isn't that much of a difference. It is still a personal identifier scan. It is basically a digital fingerprint.

GeneralKnowledge

I'm thinking one of those old metal slap bracelets might make a good RFID blocking cover for your magic band. You could take it off when you want to scan, and keep it on the rest of the time when you don't want to be tracked.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There really isn't that much of a difference. It is still a personal identifier scan. It is basically a digital fingerprint.

Incorrect...its more like a system that, say, 1 in 100 people have the same measurements that it tracks, not every single individual, like a true fingerprint would.

I have no idea on the specifics but thats what it basically is.

fngoofy

Disney are not storing credit cards on tickets. They are storing credit cards on databases, as they always have. I don't see the fresh concern here. If you are happy to have your card stored already, how does this change with the new system?

I work in the credit card processing industry, and Disney is likely not storing the credit cards at all.

It works off of tokenization, Disney swipes your card once (or you enter it in via a website once) and from that point on the credit card processor has the info, not the Merchant (Disney.) All subsequent charges or activity is based off of a token that is unique to the merchant and would be useless to anyone else, even if they got it.

SO, no worries on this before, now or in the future.

fngoofy

It used to be biometric, some years ago you put multiple fingers down and the distances where measured. Now, with one finger I am pretty sure it is fingerprint.

hiptwinmama

Let me preface this with.... " I do not believe that it is the right thing to do"

I think that if WDW discontinues annual passes, maybe they want those vacationers filling the parks and weeding out the AP holders. Because even though AP holders spend more over a year, they spend less on any 1 given day. If you get rid of AP's add more hotels and free up the parks of AP holders, than you have more "space" to fill it with vacationers who are spending much more per day. So the amount spent per guest/per day/per hotel is higher.

I'm not saying I like it, but financially it make sense.

SirLink

Let's see how fast the Mouse comes crawling back to us locals/APers when the exchange rate tips and jet fuel prices go up. It's already starting to happen. UKers are reconsidering their Holidays. And the Brazilian economy is stalling.

Considering the UK governement is trying desperately not for the exchange rate to hit $1.60 and they have nightmares of it hitting $1.70...but back to your regular scheduled MAGIC...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom