Next Generation Fastpass?

What do you think about remote/advanced fast pass options?

• Love it, sounds great, about time!

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Sounds okay, I'll wait and see.

Votes: 84 38.5%
  • Hate it, dumb idea, see lots of problems!

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Not sure, don't care

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

DisneyJoe

i guess it might make sense 55%-75% off of rack rates if your dues are running you about $1000 a year and staying a week in a deluxe would roughly run you $2500

Depending on when you travel, those $1000 yearly dues can get you 2 weeks at a studio in a Deluxe Villa....

devoy1701

But all of us who stay at Deluxe Resorts are already getting what we're paying for. We're shelling out more money for deluxe digs, not special favors throughout WDW. Disney doesn't owe us anything in the parks.

well I agree that we're getting what we paid for. Private balcony, Queen size beds (even though Coronado now offers these too), slightly larger bedrooms and bathroom areas, flat panel TVs, etc. But as I said before, I am not opposed to the idea of the Deluxe experience of staying on WDW property start making it's way into the park as well. It's all part of your visit to the WDW Resort anyway. That would make me more enticed to stay in Deluxe accomodations for EVERY visit instead of just one of my 3 or 4 overnight trips that I take throughout the year.

wizards8507

well I agree that we're getting what we paid for. Private balcony, Queen size beds (even though Coronado now offers these too), slightly larger bedrooms and bathroom areas, flat panel TVs, etc. But as I said before, I am not opposed to the idea of the Deluxe experience of staying on WDW property start making it's way into the park as well. It's all part of your visit to the WDW Resort anyway. That would make me more enticed to stay in Deluxe accomodations for EVERY visit instead of just one of my 3 or 4 overnight trips that I take throughout the year.

That's great if you can afford it, but most families that travel to WDW do so MAYBE every 5-years or so, and they save a ton of money to do so. The thing to remember is that even a value-resort, dine-off-site, discount airfare trip to WDW is a major expense for most families. Making them feel like second-class citizens because they only put ONE mortgage on the house to finance the trip seems a little ill-advised and, quite frankly, in bad taste.

devoy1701

That's great if you can afford it, but most families that travel to WDW do so MAYBE every 5-years or so, and they save a ton of money to do so. The thing to remember is that even a value-resort, dine-off-site, discount airfare trip to WDW is a major expense for most families. Making them feel like second-class citizens because they only put ONE mortgage on the house to finance the trip seems a little ill-advised and, quite frankly, in bad taste.

but how would giving small perks to Deluxe resort guests make Value guests feel like second class citizens if it doesn't already? Most likely if a person can only afford a Value resort trip, they probably haven't spent the time to look into all of the amenities available to the Deluxe guests in great detail, and the NextGen FPs would probably be more on the line of a 2nd FP per window or shorter time between FPs, not flat out unlimited access.

It would be foolish of Disney to do this in a way that flaunts it to the other resort guests IMO...atleast for the America Parks. As I pointed out yesterday, Unlimited FPs already exist for the Disneyland hotel guests out in Paris.

stlbobby

Here's another thread where people a discussing DVC and some of those posters came up with even better number than mine:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=4160513&posted=1#post4160513

I was using the yearly maintenance and original purchase price to get my discount. I only used DVC resorts to compare because the point costs for out of club resorts is ridiculous, a campsite can cost as much as a deluxe studio.

Even the FL resident discounts?

The best FL resident discount I have seen is 45%, but I do not follow them that closely, unless they go well above 50% they are not as good as the discount I consistently get.

I added the snarky "Always" as a counter to the poster I was responding to that said he beats my DVC with the regular discounts. "Always." I assume there has to be a situation where the numbers on the best deal might beat the worst numbers on DVC, but in the vast majority of cases, and every scenario I ran DVC wins.

Another consideration is the financing. If someone is paying a high interest rate on a long loan that will affect the afford-ability of the investment. As I said I have owned for a while, and I paid the loan off quickly.

Having said all that, I still occasionally use the passholder discounts when they get ridiculously low. For a quick weekend at a value with just me and my wife it is a great deal, and I save my points for bigger longer vacations at the higher end resorts maximizing my investment. (Of course I wouldn't have an AP unless I was DVC and DVC got me a discount on the AP in the first place so do the savings there count towards or against the DVC membership?)

I was really just responding to an extremely arrogant and misinformed post where the poster insisted he was getting a better deal than me. "Always." Based on some vague references to a friend's DVC, without the benefit of any knowledge of my investment.

And since I got the 55%-75% figure and I know the standard discounts max out around 45% and aren't guaranteed or consistent I know I made a good investment.

stlbobby

but how would giving small perks to Deluxe resort guests make Value guests feel like second class citizens if it doesn't already? Most likely if a person can only afford a Value resort trip, they probably haven't spent the time to look into all of the amenities available to the Deluxe guests in great detail, and the NextGen FPs would probably be more on the line of a 2nd FP per window or shorter time between FPs, not flat out unlimited access.

It would be foolish of Disney to do this in a way that flaunts it to the other resort guests IMO...atleast for the America Parks. As I pointed out yesterday, Unlimited FPs already exist for the Disneyland hotel guests out in Paris.

The problem arises from the limited number of FP's. If the deluxe guest gets more FP's then they will continually be passing the value guests standing in line and the experience would be dramatically impacted for those second class citizens.

You are right that WDW would not flaunt the perk, but everyone would know. Even if such a perk didn't exist some people would be convinced it did anyway.

I am in no way saying a deluxe guest doesn't deserve more for their money, but if Disney starts favoring them for the limited resources--FP's and ADR's--they run the risk of alienating a large segment of guests.

SleepingMonk

Got it, thanks.

We've looked into the DVC several times but the math never worked in our favor. Between the Florida resident discounts we already get on resorts and passes it seemed the DVC was at best a break even scenario.

devoy1701

Got it, thanks.

We've looked into the DVC several times but the math never worked in our favor. Between the Florida resident discounts we already get on resorts and passes it seemed the DVC was at best a break even scenario.

Now if they would through in an AP purchase discount for DVC Owners, we might actually look into this again. But at the moment, I would rather work towards my vacation home in the mountains in NC.

SleepingMonk

Now if they would through in an AP purchase discount for DVC Owners, we might actually look into this again. But at the moment, I would rather work towards my vacation home in the mountains in NC.

And that's the other main issue.

Disney is usually a weekend escape for us, maybe four days tops. We can just run down for a few days, hit all the parks, relax and stroll around.

If we're doing a week or more on a vacation it's going to be out of state or out of the country. And not at the places I've seen under the DVC plan.

stlbobby

Got it, thanks.

For me it goes beyond just the best deal at the moment. For me it is also about consistency. I know have those vacation days paid for and ready to go no matter what, and I don't have to sweat the next discount.

You also have to look at the investment long term. As the room rates rise over the life of the contract the deal gets better. So what might be breaking even now will be a better deal down the road, especially if they cut back on the discounts like they keep claiming they are going to do.

I have been a member for quite a while so that does affect the numbers, but there also deals out there right now. The thread I referenced in a previous post talks about how people are reselling their points cheap. If you are really interested try checking out some resale prices.

I'm not saying DVC is for everyone, but I have loved it since I bought in.

If you reread the whole thread I was responding to a question asked in the forum and another poster decided to jump on me and claim absolutely DVC was a bad choice, that's why I was being a bit more resolute in my position.

Rule #1: Don't take things posted on an internet forum personally, that's what they want.

stlbobby

That's funny because I'm using my points to get a break from NC. :lol:

Eyorefan

I think a lot of people in this dicusstion are over looking the fact that A LOT of people who have never stayed in a Disney Delux hotel already ASSUME they are being treated like second-class citizens.

Why do people in Stand-by lines give those in the fastpass line dirty looks? They don't bother to find out about FP and just assume its a priviledge that is not inclued on their base ticket admission.

I have seen a lot of people at moderate and value resorts complain the delux resports have better bus service or that their bus stops are some how placed closer the park enterances. Neither of these things are true, but that doesn't stop people from whinning about it anyway.

Just my 2 cents: I think its valid argument to say a Next Gen. FP system may not be legistically fessable, but I don't think the "second class citizen" argument is.

mrbghd

It's not about fairness for the sake of fairness. It is about business. Disney wants to enticing the top dollar guests without alienating the general public. It is a balancing act to keep both segments as happy as possible.

If they are hesitant about adding in-park perks for the deluxe resort guest, it isn't out of some weird communistic bent, it is because they do not want to devalue to product for the masses.

To this point it has been their policy to keep the division exclusively between on-property and off-property for the biggest most visible perks, and keep the higher end options at the resorts or quietly invisible.

It's my personal opinion that they will continue this policy for the near future, so if FP system is changed to give certain guests and advantage it will be implemented for all the WDW resorts.

I completely understand this argument. My post was in response to someone whining that doing this would "not be fair" because he could not afford it. That "argument" just doesn't work.

mrbghd

Those families that save up and come every 5 years are not the ones that the company is after. They are after the segment of the population that comes every year or multiple times a year. I still do not understand how me being able to afford to pay for certain perks when someone else cannot is in bad tase. People that have the view or feel like they get 2nd class treatment have serious self esteem issues.

mrbghd

D: There are plenty of people who work VERY hard everyday for less than they "deserve". They may not be able to buy 7 cars, but they can sure fix them for you. No one is REALLY any better than anyone else. the world needs executives & car wash employees. If anything you should feel a bit of gratitude for the hard working Americans' that line the pockets of the rich with all of our
grunt work.:veryconfu

Just a thought- not ment to be taken hostile.

The smartest guy I know is a plumber. He can do things that I could only dream of. Trust me I am not the least bit handy and have nothign but respect for those employed in skilled trades, as I would be in a lot of trouble without them. That was not my point. My point was that just because someone makes less money than me does not make it unfair.

mrbghd

Tried but couldn't let it go........Yes, I agree, let's motel 6 it or what ever so "everyone" can go

Sir, I am truely sorry, but you seem to have an attitude about less than well-to-do people.
Sorry if the scumbags are ruining your good time.-(please realize that most cast members that treat you so nice make less than 35,000).... your right Disney should only be a privilage to the wealthy, and over-eductated people, maybe only American's also...............from only 10 states that have the highest incomes per capita.

If this is the way you feel, maybe you should float a trip to the Hamptons, not many commoners there. except for the "help"- oh yeah , they don't matter.

Sorry I sound so harsh , but geez guy. have a heart.

The quote this post came from was in response to the "it is not fair that some people can afford deluxe hotels" argument. My point is this, if we want it to be "fair, lets make it where everyone can go. Make all the resorts the no frills types such as Motel 6 so they can be inexpensive for everyone. It is not about how I feel about others at all, it is about the fairness argument. You are the one that associated Motel 6 with scumbags not me.

stlbobby

I think a lot of people in this dicusstion are over looking the fact that A LOT of people who have never stayed in a Disney Delux hotel already ASSUME they are being treated like second-class citizens.

Why do people in Stand-by lines give those in the fastpass line dirty looks? They don't bother to find out about FP and just assume its a priviledge that is not inclued on their base ticket admission.

I have seen a lot of people at moderate and value resorts complain the delux resports have better bus service or that their bus stops are some how placed closer the park enterances. Neither of these things are true, but that doesn't stop people from whinning about it anyway.

Just my 2 cents: I think its valid argument to say a Next Gen. FP system may not be legistically fessable, but I don't think the "second class citizen" argument is.

You are absolutely correct that some people are going to make those distinctions where they don't even exist, so how can you then say that the "second class citizen" argument isn't feasible?

If people are already upset about a distinction that doesn't exist, wouldn't it follow that even more people would be upset, and to a greater degree, if the distinction actually did exist? Especially in reguards to something as valuable as FP's?

Right now WDW can assuage upset guests by pointing out how the FP system works and showing it is for everyone or by showing them the bus stop placement and schedules, but if the system were gamed in favour of the deluxe guests wouldn't that lead to even more disgruntled guests?

I'm not saying that there would be class riots in the parks, but over time the devalued vacations would keep the frustrated value level guests from returning.

Two arguments have been made in this thread about Walt himself and his intentions. Some claim he was all about the money others claim it was all about building something for the regular family. I think the truth is his business genius was not forgetting the massive buying power of the regular family. I think he geared the parks to that segment because he knew over the long haul that was his bread and butter. Was he smart enough to provide higher end experiences for those willing to pay, but he kept them from interfering with the masses or making them feel like lesser valued guests. Club 33 is the perfect example of this ideal at work. It is there for the high rollers, but takes nothing from the everyday experience, heck the average guest probably doesn't even know it exists.

His genius was making everyone feel special to keep them coming back. It was both egalitarian and capitalistic at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom