Next Generation Fastpass?

What do you think about remote/advanced fast pass options?

• Love it, sounds great, about time!

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Sounds okay, I'll wait and see.

Votes: 84 38.5%
  • Hate it, dumb idea, see lots of problems!

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Not sure, don't care

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

stlbobby

I completely understand this argument. My post was in response to someone whining that doing this would "not be fair" because he could not afford it. That "argument" just doesn't work.

I wasn't responding to you directly, but the sub-thread reguarding the fairness argument as a whole. Trying to delineate between fairness for fairness sake and fairness as a longterm business strategy.

mrbghd

. Was he smart enough to provide higher end experiences for those willing to pay, but he kept them from interfering with the masses or making them feel like lesser valued guests. Club 33 is the perfect example of this ideal at work. It is there for the high rollers, but takes nothing from the everyday experience, heck the average guest probably doesn't even know it exists.

His genius was making everyone feel special to keep them coming back. It was both egalitarian and capitalistic at the same time.

This was an excellent, well thought out, intelligent response. It does not belong in this discussion:ROFLOL:

devoy1701

This was an excellent, well thought out, intelligent response. It does not belong in this discussion:ROFLOL:

Actually I think it should be noted that this entire thread (atleast the past couple pages) has maintained a pretty high quality level that you don't usually see on page 18 of these. Everybody is bringing in very valid arguments/concerns/ideas/suggestions.

Bravo.

wizards8507

Those families that save up and come every 5 years are not the ones that the company is after. They are after the segment of the population that comes every year or multiple times a year. I still do not understand how me being able to afford to pay for certain perks when someone else cannot is in bad tase. People that have the view or feel like they get 2nd class treatment have serious self esteem issues.

It's not about self-esteem it's about value. It's not so much an issue that people would be offended by the change, so much as it would CHANGE their experience.

If I stay in a moderate resort, it doesn't change my experience if you stay in a moderate, deluxe, or the Knight's Inn. Likewise, my Pizzafari pizza tastes exactly the same whether you eat at Yak & Yeti or Boma.

Conversely, if certain guests were given special fastpasses, it would DIRECTLY impact the enjoyment of the "regular" guest by increasing wait times and limiting the availability of regular ol' fastpasses.

mrbghd

It's not about self-esteem it's about value. It's not so much an issue that people would be offended by the change, so much as it would CHANGE their experience.

If I stay in a moderate resort, it doesn't change my experience if you stay in a moderate, deluxe, or the Knight's Inn. Likewise, my Pizzafari pizza tastes exactly the same whether you eat at Yak & Yeti or Boma.

Conversely, if certain guests were given special fastpasses, it would DIRECTLY impact the enjoyment of the "regular" guest by increasing wait times and limiting the availability of regular ol' fastpasses.

I was with you until the last point. And I guess that is the heart of the matter. If there is a way to do tiered fastpasses as a perk for some without impacting the system for others that is the best bet. I think it can be done and others may disagree.

I base my opinion on what I have seen of fastpass lines and how they are operated. I think allowing for example Deluxe resorts guests to have 4 fastpasses open, Moderate resorts to have 3 fastpasses open, and value resorts to have 2 open, while off site guests can have 1 open would be the perfect way to handle this. IT would also help if the system did not allow you to use the fastpass outside of the window, make it more of a use it or lose it.

mrbghd

Actually I think it should be noted that this entire thread (atleast the past couple pages) has maintained a pretty high quality level that you don't usually see on page 18 of these. Everybody is bringing in very valid arguments/concerns/ideas/suggestions.

Bravo.

For sure.

devoy1701

I still argue that it WILL NOT have a noticable effect on regular guests because we already have these factors:

1) The amount of people who don't know how FP works and just use Stand-by
2) The amount of FPs distributed but not used
3) The amount of FPs used after their alloted window

If Disney started enforcing the FP window which would make even the current system more efficient, then I think giving some "extra" FPs to Deluxe guests will still not have a dramatic effect on your average park-goer because of #1 and #2.

wizards8507

I was with you until the last point. And I guess that is the heart of the matter. If there is a way to do tiered fastpasses as a perk for some without impacting the system for others that is the best bet. I think it can be done and others may disagree.

I base my opinion on what I have seen of fastpass lines and how they are operated. I think allowing for example Deluxe resorts guests to have 4 fastpasses open, Moderate resorts to have 3 fastpasses open, and value resorts to have 2 open, while off site guests can have 1 open would be the perfect way to handle this. IT would also help if the system did not allow you to use the fastpass outside of the window, make it more of a use it or lose it.

I think the best example I can give (from personal experience) was Disney's Give A Day-Get A Day promotion (volunteer at an approved charity for one day free admission). For guests who already had park tickets purchased when they volunteered, Disney offered a "special exchange" fastpass that allowed instant access to the fastpass line (i.e., put the ticket in the kiosk, get a Fastpass for NOW). The use is limited to two E-ticket rides and two D-ticket rides per day. I used the special exchange fastpass at DHS and rode TSMM after regular fastpasses for the day expired. Although I was happy to get out of the pouring rain, I felt like a major a*****e as a cast member lowered the ropes so I could approach the "reserved" fastpass kiosk.

DisneyJoe

I still argue that it WILL NOT have a noticable effect on regular guests because we already have these factors:

1) The amount of people who don't know how FP works and just use Stand-by
2) The amount of FPs distributed but not used
3) The amount of FPs used after their alloted window

If Disney started enforcing the FP window which would make even the current system more efficient, then I think giving some "extra" FPs to Deluxe guests will still not have a dramatic effect on your average park-goer because of #1 and #2.

I agree with all of your points - and you can add that there are going to be:

- deluxe guests that still don't know how FP works (!)
- deluxe guests that may obtain a special FP and not use it

devoy1701

I think the best example I can give (from personal experience) was Disney's Give A Day-Get A Day promotion (volunteer at an approved charity for one day free admission). For guests who already had park tickets purchased when they volunteered, Disney offered a "special exchange" fastpass that allowed instant access to the fastpass line (i.e., put the ticket in the kiosk, get a Fastpass for NOW). The use is limited to two E-ticket rides and two D-ticket rides per day. I used the special exchange fastpass at DHS and rode TSMM after regular fastpasses for the day expired. Although I was happy to get out of the pouring rain, I felt like a major a*****e as a cast member lowered the ropes so I could approach the "reserved" fastpass kiosk.

that actually sounds good.

stlbobby

I bet the guests in line noticed too, and a few were probably irritated even though the number of patrons using this perk was extremely low, when compared with all of the guests staying in deluxe resorts everyday. And Disney had the cover of explaining the perk was a onetime bonus for people that spent a day doing a selfless act and not just for higher class guests.

If there were a parade of people by-passing the queues all day that would really wear on the regular guests.

wizards8507

I bet the guests in line noticed too, and a few were probably irritated even though the number of patrons using this perk was extremely low, when compared with all of the guests staying in deluxe resorts everyday. And Disney had the cover of explaining the perk was a onetime bonus for people that spent a day doing a selfless act and not just for higher class guests.

If there were a parade of people by-passing the queues all day that would really wear on the regular guests.

That's exactly what I think. I don't expect Disney to care about their bad feelings, but eventually bad feelings mean less dollars.

*Side note: I believe the special exchange fastpass is also granted to active military, an initiative I support wholeheartedly.

stlbobby

I have some questions for the posters that are irritated that people use their FP's after the appointed time.

Why is this such an issue?
What should a guest do if their FP return time falls during an ADR?
Or while they are back in the room for their necessary midday rest?
Or during a parade?
Should they have to give-up their chance to ride because the luck of the draw put their FP at an inconvenient time?

I personally have no problem with using the FP's late and would like to better understand the argument for limiting to the window.

devoy1701

I have some questions for the posters that are irritated that people use their FP's after the appointed time.

Or during a parade?
Should they have to give-up their chance to ride because the luck of the draw put their FP at an inconvenient time?

I personally have no problem with using the FP's late and would like to better understand the argument for limiting to the window.

being that the system is designed to allow a certain number of fast passes through every hour, the fact that Disney allows people to comeback after their expired window throws off the system because now you have the allot amount of FPs + expired FPs coming during that time slot.

My thing is that the window is clearly displayed before you get your FPs. If you know you have an ADR during that window, pass it by and let someone else take advantage of it. If you get FPs that you think you're going to use, but decide to head back to the hotel or head to another park, pass them off to someone else (we do this all the time).

SleepingMonk

Or during a parade?

Rules are in place for a reason.

The return times are clearly printed on the ticket. If those times are in conflict with another event the guest is responsible for making changes to their schedule, not the park.

stlbobby

*Side note: I believe the special exchange fastpass is also granted to active military, an initiative I support wholeheartedly.

I have not heard this, nor have I been able to find it on the web-site. Right now they've got resort and 4-day pass discounts for military, and there's always Shades of Green.

If you have a link or other reference on this I'd love to see it because if they exist I want one when I go in December. :)

wizards8507

I have not heard this, nor have I been able to find it on the web-site. Right now they've got resort and 4-day pass discounts for military, and there's always Shades of Green.

If you have a link or other reference on this I'd love to see it because if they exist I want one when I go in December. :)

I should really do my research before I post things... It is now my understanding that this program was for DisneyLAND, and has since expired.

Thank you for serving.

stlbobby

being that the system is designed to allow a certain number of fast passes through every hour, the fact that Disney allows people to comeback after their expired window throws off the system because now you have the allot amount of FPs + expired FPs coming during that time slot.

My thing is that the window is clearly displayed before you get your FPs. If you know you have an ADR during that window, pass it by and let someone else take advantage of it. If you get FPs that you think you're going to use, but decide to head back to the hotel or head to another park, pass them off to someone else (we do this all the time).

But if a guest didn't use their FP during their hour then the standby line went that much faster so the actual number of standby guests isn't impacted.

The return time is posted, but many times you only have a single opportunity to get a FP. If you have to wait you can miss getting one altogether. That doesn't seem fair if the TSMM FP return time happens to be during the time you booked an ADR six months prior, and if you leave and come back they'll probably be gone.

I also believe in passing off FP's. On the occasions I have left for the day with a valid pass I've always given them to a kid, but sometimes those passes are past their return time, wouldn't be sad if the CM told that kid no?

Rules are in place for a reason.

The return times are clearly printed on the ticket. If those times are in conflict with another event the guest is responsible for making changes to their schedule, not the park.

If it is just a matter of the rules are the rules, would you stop caring if Disney stopped printing a window and only had a return time?

Because effectively the rule is anytime after the return time. The second time is to prevent miscommunication and abuse. If Disney didn't have an expiration people would try and use passes days later claiming it was after the return time or horde them and try and ride multiple times at the end of the night. As absurd as these ideas are they would happen and this is what they are guarding against. They're not trying to corral people into specific time frames.

It is like when McDonald's puts and expiration date on a coupon. It is company policy to take an expired coupon unless it just isn't possible. The expiration is only there to keep people from coming in ten years later and demanding a sandwich isn't even on the menu, even then the manager will give the customer the option of a discounted current menu item.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom