News and Rumors EXTRA

The_Jobu

Coming back to parks for a minute, I just saw a preview for a doc about Action Park. I had no idea places like that existed within the US. Just reading about it on Wikipedia, some of it is actually difficult to believe.

I don't think I'll ever call Disney lazy again.

AEfx

Hopefully the backlash keeps working. I was really looking forward to BFII.

There is no real "backlash" - just a profound misunderstanding of what it was about and YouTubers fanning it into clickbait firestorm.

EA made clarifications, not changes - that the high end stuff is only going to be available by gameplay and not boxes, and that even if some noob pulls something good out of the boxes, they still can't use it until they have played to get to the proper level.

It all was much ado about nothing.

bclane

There is no real "backlash" - just a profound misunderstanding of what it was about and YouTubers fanning it into clickbait firestorm.

EA made clarifications, not changes - that the high end stuff is only going to be available by gameplay and not boxes, and that even if some noob pulls something good out of the boxes, they still can't use it until they have played to get to the proper level.

It all was much ado about nothing.
Well I definitely hope you're right. EA's response definitely alleviated some of my fears.

bclane

Coming back to parks for a minute, I just saw a preview for a doc about Action Park. I had no idea places like that existed within the US. Just reading about it on Wikipedia, some of it is actually difficult to believe.

I don't think I'll ever call Disney lazy again.
Action park was crazy back in the day. Broke arms and legs, cracked skulls, and full body concrete abrasions were kind of expected. But then again things were different back then. That's back when we had gigantic slides and swing sets in the middle of a asphalt parking lots, see saws, and merry go rounds on every school playground and when you got hurt, no one sued anyone, you just rubbed dirt in it and kept playing.

bclane

Did you actually visit? You're a brave man :D

I must admit the concrete bobsled does look fun.
Unfortunately I never got to go myself but I went through a phase where it was my dream park and I read evything I could find on it. Lol! In hindsight I thank God I didn't go as I was such an idiot back in those days. I would have probably broke my back or worse.

Nj4mwc

Did you actually visit? You're a brave man :D

I must admit the concrete bobsled does look fun.
I got to visit a few times as a kid. I remember the one slide that was metal roller bars and you kneeled on a hard plastic board and slide down and skipped across the water like a rock, I didn't see the actual accident but I saw the ride shut down and the paramedics rushing someone out on a stretcher, I remember as the day went on the rumors around the park got to the point of the guys head exploding on impact

The_Jobu

I got to visit a few times as a kid. I remember the one slide that was metal roller bars and you kneeled on a hard plastic board and slide down and skipped across the water like a rock, I didn't see the actual accident but I saw the ride shut down and the paramedics rushing someone out on a stretcher, I remember as the day went on the rumors around the park got to the point of the guys head exploding on impact

I read about that one, sounds insane. According to wikipedia:

Aqua Skoot: Invented by Ken Bailey in the early 1980s,[55] riders would carry a hard, solid plastic sled up to the top of the ride, go down a slide consisting of rollers akin to those found in factories, warehouses, or assembly lines, and end up in a pool that in most areas was no deeper than a puddle. The idea of the ride was to, once the sled hit the water, skip across the water like a stone. In order to do this the rider had to be in a certain position, leaned back. If the rider was not in this position, the sled would sink into the water as soon as it hit the pool, flinging the rider off head-first, which often resulted in head injuries. Other times, riders would be leaving the pool only to have others crash into them as they were riding. This ride consisted of parallel slides originally. At some point in the mid 1980s, a third slide was added. Each slide was 30' long.[56] The slides were removed when Intrawest took over the resort in 1998, the pool was redesigned into the Lost Island River which is part of the children's section. The platform / tower riders climbed to ride the Aqua Skoot became the Treetop Cabanas in 2003.

Nj4mwc

Aqua Skoot: Invented by Ken Bailey in the early 1980s,[55] riders would carry a hard, solid plastic sled up to the top of the ride, go down a slide consisting of rollers akin to those found in factories, warehouses, or assembly lines, and end up in a pool that in most areas was no deeper than a puddle. The idea of the ride was to, once the sled hit the water, skip across the water like a stone. In order to do this the rider had to be in a certain position, leaned back. If the rider was not in this position, the sled would sink into the water as soon as it hit the pool, flinging the rider off head-first, which often resulted in head injuries. Other times, riders would be leaving the pool only to have others crash into them as they were riding. This ride consisted of parallel slides originally. At some point in the mid 1980s, a third slide was added. Each slide was 30' long.[56] The slides were removed when Intrawest took over the resort in 1998, the pool was redesigned into the Lost Island River which is part of the children's section. The platform / tower riders climbed to ride the Aqua Skoot became the Treetop Cabanas in 2003.
The crazy thing is it had to be about 1990 when I went so the park already had a good history of Injury and yet my parents brought us a few times

No Name

The park is still open today, though of course it's leagues safer. It's flipped between owners and names a number of times, but the original family actually bought it back (though you'd never tell). A lot of the old attractions are still open, now with competent employees, safety procedures, and warning signs. Aside from a few insane slides, that's what the bulk of the injuries and lawsuits back in the day resulted from.

I was too young to do or remember much of anything, but I suppose I can say I was there.

Last edited:

bclane

Crazy! They have those roller slides all over Japan and Okinawa but they don't end in water, at least not the ones we went on. Pretty fun though as long as you have something to sit on when you ride. Here is a video of one in Japan.

We went on some that were waaaaay longer than this but it's late so I'm not gonna try and be picky about the video. It goes fast at the end and gives you an idea of what they are like. The Aqua Skoot at Action Park was much steeper than this though. That park was just insane.

Brad Bishop

FP+ is a service provided free of charge to all paying guests.

You may want to go back and re-read that.

This is like pretending that when you check into a hotel you're only paying for that room and the person working behind the desk is provided "free" because you're not paying their salary directly so you should be grateful if they even acknowledge you.

FP+ is like any other "free" thing as WDW. The restrooms are cleaned. That's not a free service. That's included in your ticket. Everything there is part of what you're paying for.

JoeCamel

This is like pretending that when you check into a hotel you're only paying for that room and the person working behind the desk is provided "free" because you're not paying their salary directly so you should be grateful if they even acknowledge you.

FP+ is like any other "free" thing as WDW. The restrooms are cleaned. That's not a free service. That's included in your ticket. Everything there is part of what you're paying for.
Yep, people use free when they mean included.

RSoxNo1

Tom Morris was on the latest episode of the Season Pass podcast (along with Tony Baxter). On it, he mentioned the budget for Shanghai Pirates... $450,000,000.00

At this point, I would expect the Battle Attraction to approach that, especially if the 100+ animatronic rumor is true.

ChrisM

Tom Morris was on the latest episode of the Season Pass podcast (along with Tony Baxter). On it, he mentioned the budget for Shanghai Pirates... $450,000,000.00

At this point, I would expect the Battle Attraction to approach that, especially if the 100+ animatronic rumor is true.

Half of a billion dollars for that single (albeit impressive) attraction?

That is insane.

Next Big Thing

Change "free" to "included" and it's correct.

No reason to have a nergasm over my grammar.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Are we sure it was just the ride? The ride there is housed in a huge building which contains a pirate show among other things. Plus, it is the anchor of its own mini-land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom