News and observations from the past month

hpyhnt 1000

Like in the empty buildings that already exist (WoL pavillion, empty Japan show building, etc.)....

Yep. There are so many to choose from its not even funny. Sad part is that MK is catching up when it comes to empty/poorly utilized/"we no longer care enough to build something new" areas.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
One of the three reasons Transformers was built was to soak up demand once Potter 2 opens. Yes, reasoning behind building an E ticket is that the next one to open will be so popular they need to add more ride capacity elsewhere in the park to spread the load.

And another reason why TF was built in the curious location where it was.

Sometimes the mind boggles.

The Empress Lilly

One of the three reasons Transformers was built was to soak up demand once Potter 2 opens. Yes, reasoning behind building an E ticket is that the next one to open will be so popular they need to add more ride capacity elsewhere in the park to spread the load.

And another reason why TF was built in the curious location where it was.

Sometimes the mind boggles.
Bollox Martin. Potter 2 will be popular, so that is where:

- they will harass guests with timeshare kiosks
- a lot of people walk, so ops needs to remove the benches and shade features to accomodate all those tired, hot, walking guests
- they will sell dinner packages, by popular demand. For $14.95 you get a plastic box with apple slices and yoghurt plus a fastpass
- they can close another ride in return and call it an expansion

Disneyhead'71

Plastic bands for kids, retractable cords for adults, and rubbery phone cases for teenagers. Seeing that apparently the smartphone is welded to the teenagers hand I think that is the best option.

(I may or may not be typing this on my smartphone sitting in a doctor's waiting room)

luv

Separate the RFID components from the band, something like a car key FOB, and make them attachable to watch bands, lanyards, key chains, bracelets, or similar (or just dropped in a pocket). Some of the criticism then goes away.

As one of the people who doesn't like wristbands, I'd like to say, for the ten billionth time, that not liking wristbands is not criticism.

I do wish they'd make a small doodad and put a hole in it so that it could be attached to key chains.
...That said, what if Disney stopped trying to manipulate people into spending money through "Jedi Mind Tricks" and simply made compelling merchandise again...
This is one of the best comments I've ever read. :)

Tom Morrow

Remember that all park tickets will be RFID/FP+ enabled. I see no issue with pulling your park ticket out, just as you currently have to to get a paper Fastpass.

luv

Remember that all park tickets will be RFID/FP+ enabled. I see no issue with pulling your park ticket out, just as you currently have to to get a paper Fastpass.
It's not a problem. It's not hard. They work much better than the paper ones did. And if you have an RFID-protected wallet, there are no issues with being tracked.

If they continue to allow use of those, as well as bands, everyone can be happy. :D

Bairstow

It's not a problem. It's not hard. They work much better than the paper ones did. And if you have an RFID-protected wallet, there are no issues with being tracked.

If they continue to allow use of those, as well as bands, everyone can be happy. :D

Will those wallets block 2.4ghz bluetooth transmissions? Because that's what band puts out to enable the passive tracking.
The cards aren't capable of doing that anyway.

luv

Will those wallets block 2.4ghz bluetooth transmissions? Because that's what band puts out to enable the passive tracking.
The cards aren't capable of doing that anyway.
I don't think a band would fit in a wallet. They do have bags, though. You could check, if you're worried about it.

I don't have any idea how it works. I stuck the Disney card in the outer pocket of my wallet - the clear part, for driver's licenses - and held it on the round Mickey ball...it couldn't read it. :) I got the wallet fr my credit/debit cards, though, not because I care if Disney knows I went to Mouse Gear. I'm not all that worried about being tracked, but I understand why others might be. :)

http://www.idstronghold.com/protect-your-information.asp

Hope that helps! :)

luv

I don't think Disney security is going to be too impressed with guests entering the parks carrying booster bags.
I had to look up "booster bag", lol. I'm getting the impression that you are familiar with this stuff and not just asking questions/discussing, but trying to start some sort of debate/argument over using RFID-blocking things.

If you were/are just trying to start an argument about it, I apologize for responding and making it seem like I was interested in being on the other end of it. Wasn't my intention. I thought you were actually asking a question.

Bairstow

Not at all.
I really don't care about the tracking one way or the other, but you suggested using some sort of shielded wallet to prevent RFID tracking.
My point is that that the key to the world cards are incapable of interacting with the tracking system Disney has built to work with the bands, which works off of the active 2.4ghz (bluetooth?) transmitter embedded in the bracelet devices which the cards lack. I was asking whether the "RFID protected wallet" you were suggesting would be helpful in blocking such a signal anyway.

luv

Not at all.
I really don't care about the tracking one way or the other, but you suggested using some sort of shielded wallet to prevent RFID tracking.
My point is that that the key to the world cards are incapable of interacting with the tracking system Disney has built to work with the bands, which works off of the active 2.4ghz (bluetooth?) transmitter embedded in the bracelet devices which the cards lack. I was asking whether the "RFID protected wallet" you were suggesting would be helpful in blocking such a signal anyway.
If you don't care about the tracking, I have to wonder why you ask.

in any event, if you have actual questions, I'm afraid I'm out of answers. Sorry. You'll have to research it on your own.

EPCOTCenterLover

Bollox Martin. Potter 2 will be popular, so that is where:

- they will harass guests with timeshare kiosks
- a lot of people walk, so ops needs to remove the benches and shade features to accomodate all those tired, hot, walking guests
- they will sell dinner packages, by popular demand. For $14.95 you get a plastic box with apple slices and yoghurt plus a fastpass
- they can close another ride in return and call it an expansion
You meant to say WDW, right?

msteel

I stuck the Disney card in the outer pocket of my wallet - the clear part, for driver's licenses - and held it on the round Mickey ball...it couldn't read it.

Of course your wallet is designed for that, and those who share your concerns have every right to get wallets that perform that feature.

But, the fact that the card cannot be scanned is not necessarily proof that the wallet is responsible. Some anecdotal evidence: My place of employment uses RFID enabled ID cards for door access. Cards can be scanned approximately 6 inches from the door reader. I can scan mine while it is inside my (regular leather) wallet, and it peacefully coexists with my PayPass credit card. My co-worker also routinely scanned his ID while it was in his wallet - until he got a second RFID card for a different, unrelated system. Now he has to remove the appropriate card from the wallet in order for it to be read. Apparently the two RFID systems use frequencies that are similar enough that both cards respond and interfere with each other.

luv

Of course your wallet is designed for that, and those who share your concerns have every right to get wallets that perform that feature.

But, the fact that the card cannot be scanned is not necessarily proof that the wallet is responsible. Some anecdotal evidence: My place of employment uses RFID enabled ID cards for door access. Cards can be scanned approximately 6 inches from the door reader. I can scan mine while it is inside my (regular leather) wallet, and it peacefully coexists with my PayPass credit card. My co-worker also routinely scanned his ID while it was in his wallet - until he got a second RFID card for a different, unrelated system. Now he has to remove the appropriate card from the wallet in order for it to be read. Apparently the two RFID systems use frequencies that are similar enough that both cards respond and interfere with each other.
As long as the signals can't be picked up, I'm good. :)

But now I'll have to check that, just to see. :) Thanks!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
20131009_150412.jpg
As long as the signals can't be picked up, I'm good. :)

But now I'll have to check that, just to see. :) Thanks!
Arent you and AP holder, luv? Just do what I do and where ur AP on ur wrist. Its like a magic band sans the tracking!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom