New V.I. Passholder Events Include Some Free After Hours Access

Kman101

We have been told by a few cast members for far that this is more or less a EMH for Passholders. Will report in a little later on the happening.

Yep, exactly what I've been saying it was.

I think passholders expected a real "event" but this is just extra magic hours. Not a bad thing of course, something they should have been doing.

Have a good time!

Stevek

Looks like most dining locations are not open...just the bakery and ODV Carts? Tons of merch locations open though.

Edit: Cosmic Ray’s is open as well.

Last edited:

Biff215

Feels fairly busy, but I think it’s partly due to day guests not clearing out yet. You can’t get on an attraction without a wristband, but they’re not asking anyone to leave. Pan is 35 minutes, Small World a walk on. Nice little treat, just not much different than EMH. Probably benefits local AP’s more.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20180805_223409.jpg
As many have posted before, this was nothing more than EMH for APs. I was only able to get on 4 attractions. The first half hour I say was a bust since there were still non'event guests still in queue lines which translated into longer wait times. The pic above was taken about 1030. The posted wait time was 15 mins.

francism

Attended this tonight and had a good time. Like others said, it was EMH for APs. We arrived a little before 7 and they were not set up to hand out wristbands, telling us we could go to Tortuga Tavern or Stitch. Overheard another CM saying they also had a station set up near the Circus but not sure it was accurate. I would say this event was much more crowded than an After Hours event but not as crowded as an average MNSSHP.

Started off by getting food from Columbia Harbor House and using some FP+s before the "event" started (Big Thunder Mt, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan). I'm sure one of the reasons they had this event was to get APs to spend some money, so they got me there. After riding Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion, we headed over towards Adventureland to get in line for wristbands. The line was back to the Tiki Room and they were checking people in across from Pirates. I had read someone on here saying that they thought this event might be practice for CMs who haven't had experience checking guests into the MNSSHP and that makes some sense, was a very similar procedure. The line was long but moved quickly enough, lots of day guests approached us asking what the line was for and how to sign up.

We then walked back through Frontierland and into Fantasyland to watch Happily Ever After. We don't get to see the projections from back there but there's no one throwing elbows and we can usually find a decent seat, much more relaxing experience in my opinion. We used our final FP+ at Peter Pan before the event started and then hopped onto the Carousel after it reopened from the fireworks show. Took my niece in to see Cinderella and Elena, posted wait time was 15 minutes, took about 20. The wait time to meet Rapunzel and Tiana was posted as 35 but the lines seemed to be just as long once we got into the building.

We walked by the Seven Dwarves Mine Train which was using the FP+ line but was backed up towards Be Our Guest. The posted wait was 60 minutes and it looked like it would take that long. From the FP+ line two weeks ago at the After Hours event, being about halfway from the touch points to the interior of the building was a 15-20 minute wait to ride. Seeing how long the lines were tonight, I have no doubt that 60 was probably close to accurate.

Not everything was open. The tea cups were closed as was the People Mover. We walked towards the circus area as they had an open popcorn/pretzel/ice cream cart open and only had to wait about 2 minutes to order. I didn't see another cart open after 10 PM but we didn't travel around the entire park. Went for a ride on Dumbo, it was posted as a 10 minute wait and it was pretty much on the nose. Barnstormer had a posted wait of 25 minutes. We headed off towards Tomorrowland, the Speedway had a 30 minute posted wait, likely due to not running all of the lanes of cars. Cosmic Rays was open and had a decent sized crowd. Buzz had a 15 minute wait, we got on in about 5 minutes.

At this point into the "event", we had ridden the Carousel, done a Meet and Greet, gone on Dumbo, got a pretzel, and gone on Buzz. It was about 11:25 by this point and my niece got tired. Main Street was very quiet on the way out and we checked to see if the Tinkerbell Meet and Greet was open, it was not. Unlike the After Hours event, monorails were still running in addition to the Ferryboat. We were back at our car just around midnight.

The biggest thing I took away from this event is that I really miss the Magic Kingdom at night in the summer. It used to be routine that the park would be open late, have a couple of night time parades along with fireworks and then some extra time to help clear out the park. Now the park closes most nights at 10 PM, sometimes 9. Sunset tonight was at 8:15. We've got one night this month, August 18, where the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight for regular guests. Three nights have 6 PM closings for Halloween Parties. September is even worse. September 1 the park is open until midnight but is not open past 9 PM any other night the entire month for regular guests. Some of the EMH nights have the park closing at 10. Only paid events will let you stay until midnight, either After Hours or MNSSHP.

The Magic Kingdom is wonderful at night. The lights, the atmosphere, the fact that the sun is down and things have a chance to cool off, etc. But that experience has mostly disappeared unless you pay for a special event or you manage to get lucky with a Disney special event like tonight. Hopefully once most of the big construction projects finish up, they will stop being cheap with these cutbacks and keep the parks open later, especially in the summer.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

We had fun. We got our bands at the main entrance just after 7 with no wait. The people that got there later had to wait a while based on a few lines we saw at other locations.

In the two hours we did:
Little Mermad
Peter Pan
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Pirates
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain

That was without rushing, a restroom break in the middle and the long walk to Space just before midnight. Everything we did but Thunder Mountain and Space were nearly walkons. We waited about 10 minutes for the mountains. I think lines appeared long at some attractions because they didn’t have folks weaving through the full queues.

It did feel busy, but like I said, we didn’t really wait too long. We didn’t shop, and ate before 10. Not sure why you would waste time doing either during this event. The humidity was about the only unpleasant part of the night.

andysol

We went. Not much to add vs what others have said.

Bottom line is- if you’re used to rope drop, there is no reason to go to this event.
You’d get 2-4x the rides done by using FP+ And strategy the first two hours of the day.
I wouldn’t do it again.

3 things did stand out, that were a little unique.

1) It was funny on the Haunted Mansion stretching room where everyone was saying the pre-show words. Weve all heard it a hundred times and there were no first timers, so that was cool.

2) More on that, everyone knows the score. There’s no standing by the wall that will open at HM, because everyone is going to that wall. So for you Epcot people, good luck trying to get row one in section B at Soarin’- everyone already knows the game.

3) The atmosphere was solid. Nice summer night, Very few strollers, no clueless people meandering about or stopping dead in their tracks to wonder where they were, or people walking 5-6 wide all holding hands in fear of losing one another. So even though the crowds were pretty large, everything “flowed” better. Think a Train station in Japan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom