New V.I. Passholder Events Include Some Free After Hours Access

Kman101

To their credit, they actually do listen. A few years ago we voiced our concerns about My Magic + (both all the technical snafus that were occurring at that time as well as how FP+ advanced planning had taken spontaneity out of the parks). They listened to us for about 45 minutes and tried to make things right by us...

I'm sure she will (not really sure what could "make it better", not really searching for anything, just felt like venting and hoped they would listen). We've been playing the fun game of phone tag.

I actually don't agree about MM+, it's about how you look at it (I don't agree necessarily you *have* to plan so much but I think they want you to feel like you have to - and everyone's personal situation is different, I know). But to some extent I agree. It could have been implemented better. I like booking FP on my phone and being able to change them, I see that as a total plus, how is it not? But I get the other way was easier. And again, they could have implemented the idea of it better. It's definitely not perfect and likely not worth how much it all cost. Apart from the cost (which doesn't even bother me; I'd pay it for WDW), I think Disneyland implemented the idea better (booking FP on your phone while still offering the other way).

pax_65

I actually don't agree about MM+, it's about how you look at it (I don't agree necessarily you *have* to plan so much but I think they want you to feel like you have to

You really have to plan ahead and get your FPs way in advance if you want to get the most popular attractions. Some people like that - I have friends who work up spreadsheets to plan every minute of their vacations. Personally I prefer to be more relaxed and spontaneous on vacation. We used to "play it by ear" and let our kids decide which park we'd visit when they woke up in the morning. That no longer works so well, unless you're content to skip Toy Story Mania and Flight of Passage. That said, we had a really nice trip this past May (our first since the disastrous one we were speaking to Disney about). The kinks of MM+ have mostly been worked out (still some issues with really large parties all connected to each other). We were actually able to change our plans and still find some availability here and there which was a nice surprise. Still not the most popular attractions, but we found stuff to do.

A lot of the issues have to deal with high crowd levels (and MK is the worst for that), so that brings me back to the topic at hand. Am I the only one who worries that these passholder events will be absolutely mobbed? Disney has done so little for so long... now they are doing something (which is good) but I worry it may initially be greeted by a mob of passholders.

Kman101

And don't forget the many bloggers who will be taking up spots just to either rant about it or gush about it. (I appreciate many who blog and who post pictures of construction but sometimes some of them act so entitled that they deserve to be at these things, likely because they now feel it's a job - or is - to have to cover every single thing). I don't really feel entitled that I have to be there, as a passholder, it would just be nice to feel included when they do passholder only things (which are frankly almost never).

Biff215

A lot of the issues have to deal with high crowd levels (and MK is the worst for that), so that brings me back to the topic at hand. Am I the only one who worries that these passholder events will be absolutely mobbed? Disney has done so little for so long... now they are doing something (which is good) but I worry it may initially be greeted by a mob of passholders.
I’m definitely concerned about the crowds, but Disney capped the number of attendees, so it really depends on the number they chose. Hopefully they chose to keep it on the low side to give those attending the best experience. I would say something less than the maximum for the holiday parties because there’s no special entertainment to absorb the crowds. Of course they may choose a larger number to help satisfy demand, while also assuming some may not show up.

I’m going in with very low expectations. We were already planning to be at MK on Sunday anyway (planned that 180 days ago when we made the Ohana reservation, how in the world did that work out?!). If 10:00 comes and it still feels like earlier in the day, then we’ll get out of there, no harm done. Our AP’s expire this month so it’s nice to take advantage of this before we decide on renewing.

NearTheEars

I’m definitely concerned about the crowds, but Disney capped the number of attendees, so it really depends on the number they chose. Hopefully they chose to keep it on the low side to give those attending the best experience. I would say something less than the maximum for the holiday parties because there’s no special entertainment to absorb the crowds. Of course they may choose a larger number to help satisfy demand, while also assuming some may not show up.

I’m going in with very low expectations. We were already planning to be at MK on Sunday anyway (planned that 180 days ago when we made the Ohana reservation, how in the world did that work out?!). If 10:00 comes and it still feels like earlier in the day, then we’ll get out of there, no harm done. Our AP’s expire this month so it’s nice to take advantage of this before we decide on renewing.

We’re going Sunday. I’m hoping for a small crowd. I’m guessing 7DMT will have the longest line.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No

I hope you're right. On a sold out MNSSHP, many attractions are not walk-on. This time with shows not going on, limited shops, limited food, limited attractions, limited characer meets, there will not be anything to do but rides. I'll be there Sunday as well.

disney4life2008

And don't forget the many bloggers who will be taking up spots just to either rant about it or gush about it. (I appreciate many who blog and who post pictures of construction but sometimes some of them act so entitled that they deserve to be at these things, likely because they now feel it's a job - or is - to have to cover every single thing). I don't really feel entitled that I have to be there, as a passholder, it would just be nice to feel included when they do passholder only things (which are frankly almost never).

To be honest they will take a great majority of the spots. They don't need to be there. To me its pathetic

JoeCamel

To be honest they will take a great majority of the spots. They don't need to be there. To me its pathetic
And gee you just don't understand how the blogger community in Orlando works. They will clog up the GP spots and write glowing reviews to keep the train running. Not what you want to be there but it is what the people selling the product want.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I'd really like to know what the capacity was set at. When I went to the Pandora preview, FoP and NRJ were walk on and Satuli had over half the tables empty. Granted, there were several 2 hour times offered.
I'll be there tomorrow for the event, but part of me is thinking it will be like MNSSHP crowds on a sold out night. Last year in September, very few things were walk on, and sure, wait times were less, but not was I was expecting based on people's reviews.

TTA94

Anyone know if they will be giving anything out to passholders at these events? Any special surprises? Or just simply a couple extra hours in the park?

disney4life2008

And gee you just don't understand how the blogger community in Orlando works. They will clog up the GP spots and write glowing reviews to keep the train running. Not what you want to be there but it is what the people selling the product want.

I disagree. Disney was successful without bloggers prior to social media. My issue with bloggers is that they go to every event to report. So yes in this case, they will be there. Why don't you count how many bloggers will be at the first event the report back?

TTA94

Me thinks you expect a little too much much of TDO

On occasion, though very rare, they do give stuff out, such as during the blog meetups, though that’s hit or miss. Moonlight Magic would have been cool lol, but that likely would have been announced if that was apart of this event.

Kman101

On occasion, though very rare, they do give stuff out, such as during the blog meetups, though that’s hit or miss. Moonlight Magic would have been cool lol, but that likely would have been announced if that was apart of this event.

Passholder events should indeed be like Moonlight Magic and other after hours events where they've had truly special events taking place. I guess they just want us to be grateful they're doing anything. And most are so they don't complain. While I think this is a nice start, finally, we all know it should be more than this. This is a nice Passholder Offering that's equivalent to staying at a resort and getting extra magic hours, except you sign up and have to be a passholder instead of a resort guest. It's a good idea they should have been doing, but I do appreciate them doing it now, even if they don't include everyone (still a gripe of mine).

asianway

Kind of. The likely reason moonlight magic gets extra perks is the fact they are trying to persuade potential members to buy ~$20k+ memberships direct vs resale. There’s a tangible reason.

They don’t really need help selling annual passes. Especially after next winter.
Moonlight magic events are indeed more expensive to hold than this. However Disneyland was doing events for their APs more akin to MM before they stopped them a whole back

Kman101

Kind of. The likely reason moonlight magic gets extra perks is the fact they are trying to persuade potential members to buy ~$20k+ memberships direct vs resale. There’s a tangible reason.

They don’t really need help selling annual passes. Especially after next winter.

Well, that's very true :joyfull:

Kman101

Moonlight magic events are indeed more expensive to hold than this. However Disneyland was doing events for their APs more akin to MM before they stopped them a whole back

This

If they want to they can. That's the whole point. I know people defend them for doing anything, and it's nice they're doing something, but they could do more and it would actually mean something. But Extra Magic Hours for Passholders is a nice (and cheap for them) start.

Kman101

I mean, a magnet's nice, but I see nothing wrong with saying they could do a lot more than that. I'm always torn complaining because in reality they DON'T have to do anything, and they really haven't. A pin, a tervis, a shirt you don't have to buy, a little gift bag for special events (I don't expect that for this kind of offering though, it's extra magic hours not a true "after hours event" like they want it to seem like) ... they do it for other events you pay $200 to get into. Many annual passholders pay far more than that a year to be in the parks. I think they can afford to do more than a magnet, but of course it's better than what they used to do for the last like 10 years: nothing (for the most part).

It's not like I'm asking for a lot. I once again played phone tag yesterday with Disney. I'm really curious to see how they "handle" my whining, lol. I just want them to know that while I expect nothing as a passholder (I'm truly just happy parking's included!) but it's a bit of a slap in the face to have two events with restrictions. It honestly looks bad and I'm surprised more people haven't complained about it. Instead we should just be grateful they're doing anything at all.

I'm sure if it cost $ we'd ALL be included. And that's insulting.

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I always forget about mult-quote :/

Biff215

7:20 - line for ALand check in is down past carpets. Doesn’t look they they started yet though. Not sure I’ll hang seeing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom