New V.I. Passholder Events Include Some Free After Hours Access

pax_65

The biggest thing I took away from this event is that I really miss the Magic Kingdom at night in the summer. It used to be routine that the park would be open late, have a couple of night time parades along with fireworks and then some extra time to help clear out the park. Now the park closes most nights at 10 PM, sometimes 9.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is so sad, and really makes me look at the value of what you're getting when you buy that pass. Those who argue that the upcharge events don't affect others ("If you don't want to pay for the event, then don't") aren't taking into account the shorter hours for regular guests and the loss of those amazing nights spent in the Magic Kingdom. :(

smile

thanks for the write up

Hopefully once most of the big construction projects finish up, they will stop being cheap with these cutbacks and keep the parks open later, especially in the summer.

the only connection such tactics have with the construction is that you'll see more of them once it's over...
yet again, and as much as in any other age, twdc finds itself in the position of having to extract as many possible pennies from walt disney parks, experiences and consumer products as humanly possible.

sjajan

I honestly really enjoyed this event. Started out at Big Thunder Mountain, where they had us going through the fastpass queue and that line moved relatively slowly because they were combining with the standby from before the park closed. After that, I walked to see that 7DMT had an extremely long line and decided against riding that. Then, I went to space mountain, and rode that twice (first time was walk on, second time was maybe 10 minute wait). Then barnstormer, complete walk on, rode it twice without getting off. Peter Pan was next, and the line was to the outdoor portion of the queue but I only had to wait MAYBE 20 minutes for it. 7DMT had lines out to the stroller place, but it moved pretty quickly, I'd say I waited 30 minutes and walked through the completely open/in use queue.

I'm sure I would have been able to do more if i didn't ride things multiple times & didn't flip flop around the park like I did.

DreamfinderGuy

I'm only doing this because I love Epcot at night, and I almost never get a chance to see everything all lit up. Last time I saw Epcot at night, Universe of Energy was still fully illuminated. Plus, I want to get in another showing of Illuminations before it goes away. I really didn't see the appeal for MK, and really overall if anyone is going for the attractions. I'm glad that those of you who went to MK had fun though!

JohnD

We went. Not much to add vs what others have said.

Bottom line is- if you’re used to rope drop, there is no reason to go to this event.
You’d get 2-4x the rides done by using FP+ And strategy the first two hours of the day.
I wouldn’t do it again.

3 things did stand out, that were a little unique.

1) It was funny on the Haunted Mansion stretching room where everyone was saying the pre-show words. Weve all heard it a hundred times and there were no first timers, so that was cool.

2) More on that, everyone knows the score. There’s no standing by the wall that will open at HM, because everyone is going to that wall. So for you Epcot people, good luck trying to get row one in section B at Soarin’- everyone already knows the game.

3) The atmosphere was solid. Nice summer night, Very few strollers, no clueless people meandering about or stopping dead in their tracks to wonder where they were, or people walking 5-6 wide all holding hands in fear of losing one another. So even though the crowds were pretty large, everything “flowed” better. Think a Train station in Japan.

Which probably also means JC was more fun. Everyone is in on the jokes.

Kman101

We went. Not much to add vs what others have said.

Bottom line is- if you’re used to rope drop, there is no reason to go to this event.
You’d get 2-4x the rides done by using FP+ And strategy the first two hours of the day.
I wouldn’t do it again.

3 things did stand out, that were a little unique.

1) It was funny on the Haunted Mansion stretching room where everyone was saying the pre-show words. Weve all heard it a hundred times and there were no first timers, so that was cool.

2) More on that, everyone knows the score. There’s no standing by the wall that will open at HM, because everyone is going to that wall. So for you Epcot people, good luck trying to get row one in section B at Soarin’- everyone already knows the game.

3) The atmosphere was solid. Nice summer night, Very few strollers, no clueless people meandering about or stopping dead in their tracks to wonder where they were, or people walking 5-6 wide all holding hands in fear of losing one another. So even though the crowds were pretty large, everything “flowed” better. Think a Train station in Japan.

I think Extra Magic Hours for passholders is a good idea (maybe tweak it; you shouldn't have lines to check in for a two hour "event"; what's the point?). They should have just advertised it like that and not an "event" in of itself. The extra magic hours was just part of the VIPassholder "Events" taking place. Seems people on Twitter were wildy confused and a bit angry (they expected something like an actual event). Did you run into anyone who seemed flabbergasted it was simply extra magic hours?

Kman101

Nope. Everyone seemed pretty happy.

I will say that I didn't stand in line for the band at all. We just headed to Stitch after Happily Ever After and waited at most 5 mins?

That's good. I found someone on the awful thing known as Twitter who was just ranting up a storm that it wasn't an event "like they promised" and complaining about it being a waste of time and just extra magic hours. No, it's not worthless. I think EMH is a great idea for Passholders, but they need to advertise it as that. It was indeed a tad misleading on their part in a way. But from the announcement itself I knew what it would be, lol ...

Sounds like a nice little plus but, again, with some tweaks. 2 hours is nice but I can see why some aren't thrilled with it. I'd take it if I could.

Kman101

I'm only doing this because I love Epcot at night, and I almost never get a chance to see everything all lit up. Last time I saw Epcot at night, Universe of Energy was still fully illuminated. Plus, I want to get in another showing of Illuminations before it goes away. I really didn't see the appeal for MK, and really overall if anyone is going for the attractions. I'm glad that those of you who went to MK had fun though!

MK makes sense because it has more attractions that are more appealing (IMO), but Epcot makes more sense because of the passholders and Food & Wine. I think that'll be the better of the two even if the lineup for Epcot isn't anything compared to MK (I haven't yet checked on details for the Epcot events, but MK will almost always still feel crowded, Epcot you can spread out better)

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I enjoyed the time there last night. We did 8 rides (9 if you count tea cups at 945) before queuing in Pan at 1158 (18 min wait)

I FP the mountains (they were calling) earlier in the evening, so no need to rush around.

Hopefully they do more of these so other can get the chance, though it really was just EMH, with "closing mode" starting as early as 1015.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Attended this tonight and had a good time. Like others said, it was EMH for APs. We arrived a little before 7 and they were not set up to hand out wristbands, telling us we could go to Tortuga Tavern or Stitch. Overheard another CM saying they also had a station set up near the Circus but not sure it was accurate. I would say this event was much more crowded than an After Hours event but not as crowded as an average MNSSHP.

Started off by getting food from Columbia Harbor House and using some FP+s before the "event" started (Big Thunder Mt, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan). I'm sure one of the reasons they had this event was to get APs to spend some money, so they got me there. After riding Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion, we headed over towards Adventureland to get in line for wristbands. The line was back to the Tiki Room and they were checking people in across from Pirates. I had read someone on here saying that they thought this event might be practice for CMs who haven't had experience checking guests into the MNSSHP and that makes some sense, was a very similar procedure. The line was long but moved quickly enough, lots of day guests approached us asking what the line was for and how to sign up.

We then walked back through Frontierland and into Fantasyland to watch Happily Ever After. We don't get to see the projections from back there but there's no one throwing elbows and we can usually find a decent seat, much more relaxing experience in my opinion. We used our final FP+ at Peter Pan before the event started and then hopped onto the Carousel after it reopened from the fireworks show. Took my niece in to see Cinderella and Elena, posted wait time was 15 minutes, took about 20. The wait time to meet Rapunzel and Tiana was posted as 35 but the lines seemed to be just as long once we got into the building.

We walked by the Seven Dwarves Mine Train which was using the FP+ line but was backed up towards Be Our Guest. The posted wait was 60 minutes and it looked like it would take that long. From the FP+ line two weeks ago at the After Hours event, being about halfway from the touch points to the interior of the building was a 15-20 minute wait to ride. Seeing how long the lines were tonight, I have no doubt that 60 was probably close to accurate.

Not everything was open. The tea cups were closed as was the People Mover. We walked towards the circus area as they had an open popcorn/pretzel/ice cream cart open and only had to wait about 2 minutes to order. I didn't see another cart open after 10 PM but we didn't travel around the entire park. Went for a ride on Dumbo, it was posted as a 10 minute wait and it was pretty much on the nose. Barnstormer had a posted wait of 25 minutes. We headed off towards Tomorrowland, the Speedway had a 30 minute posted wait, likely due to not running all of the lanes of cars. Cosmic Rays was open and had a decent sized crowd. Buzz had a 15 minute wait, we got on in about 5 minutes.

At this point into the "event", we had ridden the Carousel, done a Meet and Greet, gone on Dumbo, got a pretzel, and gone on Buzz. It was about 11:25 by this point and my niece got tired. Main Street was very quiet on the way out and we checked to see if the Tinkerbell Meet and Greet was open, it was not. Unlike the After Hours event, monorails were still running in addition to the Ferryboat. We were back at our car just around midnight.

The biggest thing I took away from this event is that I really miss the Magic Kingdom at night in the summer. It used to be routine that the park would be open late, have a couple of night time parades along with fireworks and then some extra time to help clear out the park. Now the park closes most nights at 10 PM, sometimes 9. Sunset tonight was at 8:15. We've got one night this month, August 18, where the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight for regular guests. Three nights have 6 PM closings for Halloween Parties. September is even worse. September 1 the park is open until midnight but is not open past 9 PM any other night the entire month for regular guests. Some of the EMH nights have the park closing at 10. Only paid events will let you stay until midnight, either After Hours or MNSSHP.

The Magic Kingdom is wonderful at night. The lights, the atmosphere, the fact that the sun is down and things have a chance to cool off, etc. But that experience has mostly disappeared unless you pay for a special event or you manage to get lucky with a Disney special event like tonight. Hopefully once most of the big construction projects finish up, they will stop being cheap with these cutbacks and keep the parks open later, especially in the summer.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a nice evening both before and after the event.

I did note your comment about the short hours for the MK in September. We always do a couple week trip in September. Disney always updates those hours at best a few weeks out. We have had the good fortune to always have a few days while down there were extra hours for regular guests get extended, we also see this happen at other parks throughout the year when nearing a trip, it happened for us is April and in May this year too. So as fall approaches keep an eye on the hours when choosing dates you may wish to attend, they may extend.

And thanks gain for the details. I'm going to the Epcot Event and the Toy Event I'm going into it with 'it's a bonus'

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I'm going to the Epcot Event and the Toy Event I'm going into it with 'it's a bonus'
I'll be at TSL for the early morning event on Sept 7. My thoughts exactly. I figure FP ToT and RnRC (now that Tier 1 is only TSM) and be out by 11am to park hop somewhere else. Bonus for sure.

Kman101

I'll be at TSL for the early morning event on Sept 7. My thoughts exactly. I figure FP ToT and RnRC (now that Tier 1 is only TSM) and be out by 11am to park hop somewhere else. Bonus for sure.

I usually save DHS for night (I can easily get what I want done in a couple of hours with less crowds; and I've often been able to FP late in the day, depending on crowds of course). I enjoy it more at night. Epcot and DHS are my go-to night parks. AK is beautiful in spots but there's large stretches of darkness and tight paths (noticable in the crush exiting ROL). I feel so cramped at night in the MK, it's not pleasant.

Just an idea but you can likely hop in line for the attractions in TSL during the "fireworks" and Fantasmic. I've heard it can be less of a wait and you can jump in Slinky's right before the park closes. All depends on the crowds of course. Like the rest of DHS, TSL seems to come alive at night thanks to a good lighting package. (I'm looking at you Seven Dwarfs Mine Train)

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I usually save DHS for night (I can easily get what I want done in a couple of hours with less crowds; and I've often been able to FP late in the day, depending on crowds of course). I enjoy it more at night. Epcot and DHS are my go-to night parks. AK is beautiful in spots but there's large stretches of darkness and tight paths (noticable in the crush exiting ROL). I feel so cramped at night in the MK, it's not pleasant.

Just an idea but you can likely hop in line for the attractions in TSL during the "fireworks" and Fantasmic. I've heard it can be less of a wait and you can jump in Slinky's right before the park closes. All depends on the crowds of course. Like the rest of DHS, TSL seems to come alive at night thanks to a good lighting package. (I'm looking at you Seven Dwarfs Mine Train)
Thanks Kman. I've been there already to see the new land. I just like having an excuse to miss work for a day. I've yet to see it at night, and like many have said, it looks way better (like a lot else does at the world) so I'm sure DW and I will be back when the weather (and crowds) cool a bit.

Kman101

Thanks Kman. I've been there already to see the new land. I just like having an excuse to miss work for a day. I've yet to see it at night, and like many have said, it looks way better (like a lot else does at the world) so I'm sure DW and I will be back when the weather (and crowds) cool a bit.

I can't blame you for that. LOL. I never complained about the heat before but yeah it's ridiculous. I'm ready for Florida's spring (Winter, lol)

Alison Fletcher

My husband and I were at MK on Sunday night for that event. We rode the mine train twice back to back in less than an hour. We got in line just after 10 pm. The line looked long, but because they put us all through the shorter fast pass line, it wasn’t as long as it looked.
It was nice to be in the park with pass holders who knew where things were, where they were going and what they were doing. It was a great experience that we were grateful to be a part of. Thank you Disney!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm interested as to why they have O' Canada open, but not France and China's films?

Also, I feel like Annual Passholders would love to have American Adventure open too. Sad.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm interested as to why they have O' Canada open, but not France and China's films?

Also, I feel like Annual Passholders would love to have American Adventure open too. Sad.

My guess is that they will block off World Showcase at Norway and at the start of the bridge near International Gateway. that makes the whole southern half of World Showcase inaccessible during the event. That's how they had things setup for the similar DVC event I attended late last year. They acknowledged where 'most' people will want to spend their time and only open those areas of the park.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
My guess is that they will block off World Showcase at Norway and at the start of the bridge near International Gateway. that makes the whole southern half of World Showcase inaccessible during the event. That's how they had things setup for the similar DVC event I attended late last year. They acknowledged where 'most' people will want to spend their time and only open those areas of the park.
That sounds terrible though. That is an awful long walk back around.

Kman101

Well to be fair, with the crowds and only what, two hours, limited is probably better. It doesn't really seem worth it (I still appreciate the gesture, it's a start, even if they don't include the icky lower tier passholders). Do they block off most of World Showcase for hotel guests? It's been a decade since I've done EMH so I don't know enough details about what's open. Is it similar to this for passholders? I certainly wouldn't expect *everything* open for just two hours. I'm sure they would if they charged APs added entry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom