New UPC Codes on Refillable Mugs

Tink313

While reading the 1st post I was so confused because the water parks already were doing this :veryconfu
:lol: and then I realized the story was old, I thought I was going crazy :p

Oh and they should really do something with the Land pavillion in Epcot maybe put in a new ride or something :lookaroun something with a movie and flying something crazy like that :lookaroun :rolleyes:

:lol:

hrcollectibles

did anyone hear that Jay Leno is Replacing Johnny Carson on the tonight show:lookaroun

In Theory a barcode system would prevent people that are not refilling, refillable mugs.. But I do not see them (Disney) putting in any system like this.

Cap10_Mickey

In Theory a barcode system would prevent people that are not refilling said:
This is a really good point, if Disney were seriously considering this for the resorts, they would force everyone to use a refillable mug, and would not be able to sell the paper/styrofoam cups anymore. I think overall that would result in fewer people eating at the resort food courts, which is obviously not the goal.

dazzer68

i just got back from the world, the water park mugs are only good for the use on the day your there, but you can by a barcode sticker, for your next visit, using the original mug.
mugs $9.99
stickers $6 the barcode sticker has a day on it, so if you went back every monday that might work!
ps when i bought my resort mug i was told by the cashier, i could use the mug in any other disney resort hotel.
i even saw a woman in the epcot cocacola place filling her mug there!
everyone seems to turn a blind eye, saw old mugs being filled, water bottles, nesquic bottles!

Phonedave

This is a really good point, if Disney were seriously considering this for the resorts, they would force everyone to use a refillable mug, and would not be able to sell the paper/styrofoam cups anymore. I think overall that would result in fewer people eating at the resort food courts, which is obviously not the goal.

They would just put a barcode on the paper cups.

As far as I know (I could be wrong) you can refill the paper cup as well. Not for your length of stay, but just during that meal.

OK, so I guess an enterprising person could take their refillable mug back on a second trip, buy a paper cup, cut out the barcode, and tape it onto the refillable mug.

But really, if someone is going to be that cheap, and be that blantantly dishonest, well there there is really not much I can say.

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They would just put a barcode on the paper cups.

As far as I know (I could be wrong) you can refill the paper cup as well. Not for your length of stay, but just during that meal.

OK, so I guess an enterprising person could take their refillable mug back on a second trip, buy a paper cup, cut out the barcode, and tape it onto the refillable mug.

But really, if someone is going to be that cheap, and be that blantantly dishonest, well there there is really not much I can say.

-dave
If you want to get absolutely technical there is really nothing stopping a person from buying a regular drink and refilling said paper cup for their length of say. For that matter I have seen guests fill up those monster 64oz plastic cups you can get at 7-11, Hess etc. before.

Jimmy Thick

Honestly, I hope this does come to pass, not only in the water parks but the resorts as well. It's not fair to the people who purchase new mugs every visit, like your suppose to, that people who use mugs from trips years ago are able to steal beverages.

Deadbeats= Fail.

Santa

However, it did bother me in May when I saw A LOT of families with their old mugs (one family had the OLD ONES from circa 1994). Everyone I saw with an old mug, I gave them a dirty look because they really could mess it up for everyone else.

Is there a difference between using an OLD mug from 1994 versus using an OLD mug from 2008? As we all know the mugs were created for use during your current visit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is there a difference between using an OLD mug from 1994 versus using an OLD mug from 2008? As we all know the mugs were created for use during your current visit.
Other than the humor generated from a guest using a resort mug with a resort name on it that no longer exists (Dixie Landings) not really.

MKCP 1985

Honestly, I hope this does come to pass, not only in the water parks but the resorts as well. It's not fair to the people who purchase new mugs every visit, like your suppose to, that people who use mugs from trips years ago are able to steal beverages.

Deadbeats= Fail.

Did you read the part where the mugs will only be good for the DAY of purchase, not length of stay? If you still hope that comes to pass, then good on ya.

I would think that policy would KILL mug sales, personally. Oh yeah, you can buy daily bar codes so you don't end up with a trunk full of plastic mugs at the end of a week long stay. That still would significantly raise the price of your drink indulgence. And you are hopeful for that? :confused:

If Disney ever decides they want to have and enforce a policy of refills for length of stay only, it would be easy enough (if expensive) to enforce. They could affix a permanent sticker on the mug and have a clerk check the mugs coming and going from the drink machines. Presumably, the additional drink revenue would offset the hourly wage of the person assigned to check the mugs.

This isn't rocket science.

Phonedave

Twelve bucks is quite a good deal for fourteen years' worth of free soda on WDW trips. :lol:

Heh, you know how people with AP's calulate their "per-day rate" depending on how many times they use it.

I see a whole load of people saying "I got my per cup cost of soda down to sub 1 cent per cup" :)

-dave

Figments Friend

Okay, i had to respond. I know that the 'Mug Debate' is a hot topic ( and to some, a overly talked about topic...lol...) but does anyone remember back when the 'Refillable Mug' Program was new?

For the first few years, i recall seeing signage and marketing promoting the Mugs as - "Buy a Refillable Mug and enjoy Free Refills during your stay, and any FUTURE STAYS at our Resort'! Maybe i am mistaken, but i swear this was the deal back then. So in theory, if one has one of those old Mugs from that time period one had bought it with the 'policy' that they COULD bring it back for any future stays for use.

Now i am not trying to start trouble, or take sides.....i am really just looking to see if what i remember actually happened. I bought two of those older mugs back during that time period ( long before small print had to be put on the mugs once the policy changed) and yes, i will admit that for several visits later i used one.

So the big question is - is it really wrong for the true 'original mugs-original sales policy' to come back? They were sold to Guests under the statement they could be used on 'any future stays' at that particular Resort. This was back when every Resort had their OWN custom-designed Mug ( ahhh...remember those? I miss them!)

So to answer the above question....the major difference between a 'old Mug' from 94' to a 'new Mug' from today is the policy on refills change. Then, the mugs were sold with the spin you could bring them back ...mugs since the early to mid 00's were sold under the policy of 'one stay use only'.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom