new Universal resorts named and up dates

trr1

Original Poster
[B]bioreconstruct[/B]‏ @[B]bioreconstruct[/B] Jul 6
Paint on a side of first tower in Universal's Dockside Inn.

Roof so far of porte-cochère at Universal's Dockside Inn.

Landscaping so far in Universal Blvd median through Endless Summer Resort.

Paint so far at this side of a tower at Universal's Dockside Inn.

Paint complete for an end cap mural at Universal's Dockside Inn.

Tom Morrow

The paint jobs on these things just barely saves them from looking like hospitals or weird Soviet era architecture. Or maybe brutalist or something.

Hopefully they keep up with the paint jobs and don’t let them get sunbleached because that will be a real eyesore.

JT3000

The paint jobs on these things just barely saves them from looking like hospitals or weird Soviet era architecture. Or maybe brutalist or something.

Hopefully they keep up with the paint jobs and don’t let them get sunbleached because that will be a real eyesore.

These buildings wouldn't be pretty regardless, but the main culprit is all the gray. Not sure what they were thinking there. Evidently if the hotel is cheap enough, it's okay to let the exterior look unfinished. But the motif of these hotels would look outdated no matter what, even in a place like Hawaii. These buildings basically look like they should be on the verge of replacement rather than having just been built.

OG Runner

It worked on me. I'm already planning less days at Disney and more days at Endless Summer.

Let me start by saying, they look much nicer that I was thinking the would. Very cool. (yeah I'm old)
Other than the price, are there any park related benefits attached to them? I am sure none of the
Disney, on property, resorts are less than $100 a night, but they do include a number of benefits,
such as early park hours, obtaining dining & fast pass reservations earlier.

Jon81uk

Let me start by saying, they look much nicer that I was thinking the would. Very cool. (yeah I'm old)
Other than the price, are there any park related benefits attached to them? I am sure none of the
Disney, on property, resorts are less than $100 a night, but they do include a number of benefits,
such as early park hours, obtaining dining & fast pass reservations earlier.

Universal value resorts get the one hour early access to Wizarding World areas of the park and Volcano Bay. There is also the usual benefits of room charging, package delivery and transport.
Only the three original deluxe hotels get free express pass.
There is a comparison here https://www.universalorlando.co.uk/Hotels/On-site-Hotels-Comparison.aspx

starri42

I guess I'm the only one who likes them.

I mean, the theme-ing is not lavish, but you're not paying lavish prices. I guess the building are utilitarian, but they're spruced up a bit. I like them better than the motel blocks at the All-Stars, and I don't have to look at giant props either.

My only on-property Universal stay was at Cabana Bay, which I adored, so perhaps I'm inclined to be charitable.

Tonto

I guess I'm the only one who likes them.

I mean, the theme-ing is not lavish, but you're not paying lavish prices. I guess the building are utilitarian, but they're spruced up a bit. I like them better than the motel blocks at the All-Stars, and I don't have to look at giant props either.

My only on-property Universal stay was at Cabana Bay, which I adored, so perhaps I'm inclined to be charitable.
Everything and I mean everything Universal has put up in recent memory is comparable to section 8 housing. Just got back from Universal and I’ll say that you can keep this place. They were on to something with Portofino, Hardrock and pacific. All there recent additions are crap. Not to mention Islands of adventures is in absolute condition. I have an idea for universal, maybe just maybe they should take some of the money they spend on yearly attractions and maybe focus a little bit on customer service.

OG Runner

Everything and I mean everything Universal has put up in recent memory is comparable to section 8 housing. Just got back from Universal and I’ll say that you can keep this place. They were on to something with Portofino, Hardrock and pacific. All there recent additions are crap. Not to mention Islands of adventures is in absolute **** condition. I have an idea for universal, maybe just maybe they should take some of the money they spend on yearly attractions and maybe focus a little bit on customer service.

But they are inexpensive! :joyfull:

Jon81uk

Everything and I mean everything Universal has put up in recent memory is comparable to section 8 housing. Just got back from Universal and I’ll say that you can keep this place. They were on to something with Portofino, Hardrock and pacific. All there recent additions are crap. Not to mention Islands of adventures is in absolute **** condition. I have an idea for universal, maybe just maybe they should take some of the money they spend on yearly attractions and maybe focus a little bit on customer service.
Then stay at Portofino, Hardrock or Pacific. Not everyone can afford that accommodation or want all the services that are offered as part of it. Hence there are cheaper options available. Same as Disney offering Contempory, Polynesian and Grand Floridian, as well as the All Star resorts.

OG Runner

All kidding aside. They are a good option for people that want to enjoy a Florida vacation and can't afford a $250+ room.
Air fares are increasing, (a lot), and having this option for accommodations, at these prices, may just be what they need.

Tonto

Then stay at Portofino, Hardrock or Pacific. Not everyone can afford that accommodation or want all the services that are offered as part of it. Hence there are cheaper options available. Same as Disney offering Contempory, Polynesian and Grand Floridian, as well as the All Star resorts.
All joking aside Universal is starting to feel like a Six Flags + and I did stay at Portofino and I’m not impressed at all. The new Hagrids is an a
True but it goes deeper than that. With an over abundance of value hotels come a certain element and that element was in full force at Universal this week. Honestly reminded me of my local six flags. Sorry but I don’t travel across the country for this bulle. I’d rather spend the extra coin at Disney for a superior overall theme park experience. Maybe I picked the wrong weekend but Universal was a e hole.

Portofino and Hardrock have not aged well either. Universal at one point was pushing Disney. I don’t see that right now even with the inclusion of Hagrids. Great coaster with mediocre theming. Fun ride but game changer? Uhhh no.

This trip I stayed at Coronado(Grand Destino- WOWWWWW!), Contemporary( solid) Portofino- Ho Hum...Room was dated and smelled like mold. Water features(waterfalls) were not funtioning and resort was a ghost town. Universal was actually significantly less busy than Disney.
Everyone attacks Disney for the cuts they take. Uni has gone a step further than that IMO. I was really surprised to see the conditions of some of the attractions are in. Some are in terrible shape.
In stead of building a third park; they should improve the overall theme park experience and conditions of their current attractions . It’s 2019 and I’m carrying around park tickets. ?!?!? Instead of building another coaster; they should poor that money into the maintained of IOA in particular. What a e hole. I’m not trying to come off as elitist but Uni is taking a turn for the negative. What happened to this resort???

Tom Morrow

A lot on this subforum will try their best to fight me on this, but, ON AVERAGE, I think Disney guests are classier and better behaved than Universal guests. Yes, Disney has it's fair share of stereotypical obese people in ECV's and entitled brats, but Universal has a significant number of um... "Florida mans" and trash. Also, I don't know what it is, but when I'm at Universal, guests are running into me and pushing around me and shouting constantly whereas Disney usually feels relatively chill regardless of how busy it is (Magic Kingdom excluded). I do think a part of this is Universal's atmosphere in general amps people up too much.

Both UOR parks, outside of Potter, are looking very beat up and run down. I made a thread about this about a year ago and not much has improved. The service has also gone downhill. There was a period from Potter opening in 2010 through about 2014 or 2015 where their guest service was exceeding Disney's and the place looked amazing. Sadly, they did not keep up that momentum and it's back to everything looking beat up and rude or uncaring Team Members being the norm.

Recently I've browsed the Universal resorts. Haven't been to Endless Summer yet. Saphire Falls is very nice and probably my favorite. Aventura and Cabana Bay are decent and these are all better than Disney's Value resorts and are about on the level of their Moderate resorts. The Loews resorts are in no way comparable to Disney's deluxe resorts though and yes they, too, do look a little beat up.

Last edited:

Tonto

A lot on this subforum will try their best to fight me on this, but, ON AVERAGE, I think Disney guests are classier and better behaved than Universal guests. Yes, Disney has it's fair share of stereotypical obese people in ECV's and entitled brats, but Universal has a significant number of um... "Florida mans" and trash. Also, I don't know what it is, but when I'm at Universal, guests are running into me and pushing around me and shouting constantly whereas Disney usually feels relatively chill regardless of how busy it is (Magic Kingdom excluded). I do think a part of this is Universal's atmosphere in general amps people up too much.

Both UOR parks, outside of Potter, are looking very beat up and run down. I made a thread about this about a year ago and not much has improved. The service has also gone downhill. There was a period from Potter opening in 2010 through about 2014 or 2015 where their guest service was exceeding Disney's and the place looked amazing. Sadly, they did not keep up that momentum and it's back to everything looking beat up and rude or uncaring Team Members being the norm.

Recently I've browsed the Universal resorts. Haven't been to Endless Summer yet. Saphire Falls is very nice and probably my favorite. Aventura and Cabana Bay are decent and these are all better than Disney's Value resorts and are about on the level of their Moderate resorts. The Loews resorts are in no way comparable to Disney's deluxe resorts though and yes they, too, do look a little beat up.
I have to say I agree with a lot of this.

Coronado has stepped it up in a major way with Gran Destino especially for a moderate
hotel. It is awesome. Also, a lot of Disney Luxury resorts have been cleaned up and upgraded in a major way over the past 5 years.

Regarding your Potter point it is spot on. If it, wasn’t for potter, I would’ve of been less inclined to visit.

I also stand by my point that Universals strategy to hyper focus on low and moderate hotel guests is bringing in too much of the wrong crowd.

Universal does Universal very very well, and they continue to invest in areas they don’t need to. Sorry but Islands does not need another coaster. Islands in general needs a lot more love than Universal. Also, IMO Universal was never better than Disney in the Customer Relations front but they did give Disney a good run for their money. Now I feel like the CR side of the bus. is comparable to a six flags. Zero love. Lastly food options on City Walk absolutely suck. What happened to the Chocolate factory? Quality has hit the floor.

My last point is this... The huge investment from Disney on the magic band front was very, very smart. I believe this investment in its IT infrastructure has made visiting its theme parks a lot easier and makes Universal seem outdated in regards to the overall theme park experience. IMO Universal should be upgrading this before expanding their property.

Last edited:

trr1

Original Poster
[B]bioreconstruct[/B]‏ @[B]bioreconstruct[/B] 18

Aerial view of Universal's Endless Summer Resort, with Surfside Inn at center of photo, Dockside Inn under construction across Universal Blvd.

Aerial overview of Universal's Dockside Inn. At center is the lobby building, with adjacent parking garage.

Aerial view of Universal's Dockside Inn. The second room tower is rising at right, foundations for its wings are seen.

Aerial view of construction so far at Universal's Dockside Inn. Note the currently open land at left, along International Drive.

Aerial view of Universal's Surfside Inn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom