New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

CaptinEO

lol I missed that. A Stitch retheme of Buzz wouldn't offend me. Putting him in Space Mountain or replacing Star Tours would. If you think about it there has to be some sort of IP tie in with the People Mover. That thing isn't coming back IP free in the 2020's. Im thinking that could be Stitch. He sells a ton of merch. Maybe they retheme Buzz or replace Buzz with a Stitch dark ride. Or maybe they use the Buzz building for some Stitch show scenes and part of the People Mover queue?
In the early 2000s Michael Eisner tried to retheme Space Mountain to Stitch Mountain. There was even concept art, the project got so far pins came out for it.

1712121880439.jpeg

As they say, ideas never die in WDI. I think Stitch sucks keep this idea in the vault please.

RedGinger

While I appreciate the update, and I am not doubting you, you'll have to excuse some of us old timers if we nod politely and give you a tight smile in response.

WDI has been "developing" a new Tomorrowland for Disneyland since the middle of the Bush II administration 20 years ago, a few years after their last attempt at a new Tomorrowland fell flat on its Pressler-budgeted face. They've tried to reboot a few minor things; Buzz Lightyear in the old Rocket Rods queue, a Nemo overlay to the Submarines before John Lasseter became a horrible persona not grata not to be ever mentioned again by polite society, a Rockin' Space Mountain failed overlay, a Honda sponsorship for Autopia, a Captain EO reboot for hipster 1980's nostalgia in the 2000's, a Star Wars Launch Bay that got abandoned, a wedding reception and Quinceanera event space shoved in the Starcade, etc., etc.

WDI is always developing a new Tomorrowland for Disneyland. Because that's what WDI does; they develop new stuff for the parks so that they can get a budget approved and an account number assigned to their latest project.

The real question is; will the latest New Tomorrowland Du Jour actually get approved long enough for bulldozers to show up?
Totally understand the skepticism, just passing along new info that was surprising to hear from a trusted source (in January). If this person is working on the project then the project has already been approved and they are working on the infrastructure details of a finalized plan - not just a development concept that will be pitched/floated.

But, I'm with you... we'll see. As a kid in the 70's it was never a question after making it to the hub, to hang a right for Tomorrowland, it was my favorite land, to savor the "challenge and promise of the future". Sad state it's been in for a long time.

TP2000

Totally understand the skepticism, just passing along new info that was surprising to hear from a trusted source (in January). If this person is working on the project then the project has already been approved and they are working on the infrastructure details of a finalized plan - not just a development concept that will be pitched/floated.

Okay, good to hear! Again, thank you for being so gracious with my natural skepticism on anything Tomorrowland related. We've all been burned so many times, for so many years, even if they do say something this summer at D23 Ultimate Fan Katella Commute Experience, I won't believe it until the bulldozers actually start ripping up the pavement.

But, I'm with you... we'll see. As a kid in the 70's it was never a question after making it to the hub, to hang a right for Tomorrowland, it was my favorite land, to savor the "challenge and promise of the future". Sad state it's been in for a long time.

I'm a bit older, so my park strategy in the 70's was always to head left into Adventureland first thing in the morning. That way we purposely got to Tomorrowland after sundown and hung out there for the rest of the evening so we could dance and listen to the bands inbetween all the Tomorrowland rides and rounds of Space Mist from the Lunching Pad.

How they screwed that up so badly, and left it to rot for several decades now, is beyond me. I have so little faith in the current crop of TDA execs and WDI interns now that I just don't know what to think. But maybe... this time....???

TP2000

The Los Angeles Times is not letting the Autopia story die.

Today the LA Times Editorial Board weighed in on this important topic, because now that all crime and homelessness and social decay has been solved in Los Angeles and the LA area Jews and Muslims are holding their Happy Together Parade! this weekend down Wilshire Blvd., it's time for the Times to go after the gas powered rides at Disneyland.

NobodyElse

The Los Angeles Times is not letting the Autopia story die.

Today the LA Times Editorial Board weighed in on this important topic, because now that all crime and homelessness and social decay has been solved in Los Angeles and the LA area Jews and Muslims are holding their Happy Together Parade! this weekend down Wilshire Blvd., it's time for the Times to go after the gas powered rides at Disneyland.

Who would like to write the follow-up editorial asking the LA Times what percentage of their delivery vehicles (including trucks and their contracted local "paper boy cars") are gas / diesel vs. other?

Edit/Update:

I just read the editorial. There's really no follow-up necessary, as there wasn't any real substance to reply to.

(Regarding electrifying Autopia cars) : "Why stop there? Disney could revamp Autopia to, again, imagine the next transportation innovations. How about incorporating electric bikes and scooters, self-driving cars and autonomous buses?"

Somebody send the Times Editorial Board's resume to Imagineering ASAP. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

Who would like to write the follow-up editorial asking the LA Times what percentage of their delivery vehicles (including trucks and their contracted local "paper boy cars") are gas / diesel vs. other?

Edit/Update:

I just read the editorial. There's really no follow-up necessary, as there wasn't any real substance to reply to.

(Regarding electrifying Autopia cars) : "Why stop there? Disney could revamp Autopia to, again, imagine the next transportation innovations. How about incorporating electric bikes and scooters, self-driving cars and autonomous buses?"

Somebody send the Times Editorial Board's resume to Imagineering ASAP. :rolleyes:

Bingo.

As a former Times daily subscriber, then Sunday subscriber, then casual reader, now just laughing at them... after all the subscription money I sent them for a few decades, it's nice to be reminded what clowns they have made of themselves now.

Great point on the fleet of trucks and vehicles that still are used to deliver the Times to various sources. They only have one printing plant left, out in Riverside County somewhere. How do those papers magically get delivered to tony westside homes every Sunday morning, I wonder?

Nland316

Disneyland Resort:
New, unique Avatar land using the Shanghai Pirates boat technology at DLR. PeopleMover comes back in a new way at Disneyland Park alongside significant modifications to the land. Hollywoodland will go away. A Disney Springs-esque shopping district will likely be officially announced alongside plans for a new transit configuration for the resort. The Avenger’s E-ticket gets an actual announcement.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

From a thread over on the WDW side.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Maybe they'll turn Tomorrowland into Encanto / Indiana Jones Land.

Kidding aside (or not), the idea framework is absolutely there. It needs a people mover, space mountain, how about a bumpy mars rover attraction where Buzz is, and a EPCOT-like, educational and fun simulator where Star tours is. Make the TL entrance wider.

truecoat

Maybe they'll turn Tomorrowland into Encanto / Indiana Jones Land.

Kidding aside (or not), the idea framework is absolutely there. It needs a people mover, space mountain, how about a bumpy mars rover attraction where Buzz is, and a EPCOT-like, educational and fun simulator where Star tours is. Make the TL entrance wider.

Lightyear Land.

MK-fan

It really sucks how management can currently close two major attractions that make up the upper west side of Disneyland for almost a year but you can’t close down a couple of attractions in Tomorrowland and spruce the land up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It really sucks how management can currently close two major attractions that make up the upper west side of Disneyland for almost a year but you can’t close down a couple of attractions in Tomorrowland and spruce the land up.
Again the rumors have been that they've been ready to pull the trigger and redo the land multiple times but stop short of announcing it. So I don't think the idea is they "can't", but rather the plans on what and how much they want to do keeps changing (ie the scope keeps changing) and that is what keeps holding this back. So why impact the whole land until that is all figured out with a solid plan.

MK-fan

Well, hopefully that plan gets realized and we don’t have to wait another 25 years for the land to get a remodel.

PiratesMansion

It's worth noting that there's a degree of complexity involved with Tomorrowland that doesn't exist with the current west side closures.

Splash Mountain and HM are next to each other, but are independent structures.

By contrast, almost all infrastructure and attractions within Tomorrowland share at least some space with something else. And, of course, the footpaths of Tomorrowland are already limited and congested even when everything's open and functional.

Any large-scale work done in Tomorrowland has a domino effect on everything surrounding it, which is part of the reason the land's overhaul has been postponed so many times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom