New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Haha no but I’ve always considered myself a bit of a clairvoyant. Or maybe it’s manifestation? I gotta try doing this with money.
This has been discussed for so long it was bound to happen eventually. So yeah I think it’s just coincidence that it released as you happen to post something about TL redo. Plus there is no timing just a vague “couple years”. So this may be separate from any redo of TL, if and when that happens. For all we know going away from gas might be the only redo we get for TL. Lol

mickEblu

Original Poster
This has been discussed for so long it was bound to happen eventually. So yeah I think it’s just coincidence that it released as you happen to post something about TL redo. Plus there is no timing just a vague “couple years”. So this may be separate from any redo of TL, if and when that happens. For all we know going away from gas might be the only redo we get for TL. Lol

Ok fine I’m not a clairvoyant. Happy?

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’ll miss the smell of the gas and the sounds but I suppose this is way overdue. Autopia sticking around goes hand in hand with that concept art featuring Astro Orbitor which indicates more of a land refresh instead of land redo. And if that’s the case, that’s even more of a reason to believe they can/ will start work sooner than later. But it’s also a little bit of a bummer. Is this just going to be a half @ssed TL 67 with a new PeopleMover? I mean, it’s better than what we have now for sure. If they just got rid of the Astro Orbitor and put the Rocket Jets or something similar back on the platform I’d be a pretty happy camper. The PeopleMover needs to come back in its original multi color form though. No boring, depressing 2020’s colors.

Other things that may be a part of this refresh:

Buzz retheme OR new dark ride OR use the building as a show building for the new People Mover?? Imagine a PeopleMover that turns into a Wall E dark ride or something.

Something in the COP building. Maybe even a nice sit down restaurant with views of Tomorrowland. Or the Space themed restaurant from Epcot.

A new show at the TL theatre

I don’t think Nemo or Star Tours would be part of a refresh

Last edited:

Gusey

I remember an episode of the Connecting with Walt Podcast last year (Nov 2023) on the a talk Kim Irvine was doing at the Walt Disney Family Museum. Apparently, when the podcast host asked Kim Irvine about New Tomorrowland, she mentioned that the Mary Blair mural still existed and that she'd like to see it back, almost hinting at New Tomorrowland being back on the plan. At the 1:07:00 mark

CaptinEO

I’ll miss the smell of the gas and the sounds but I suppose this is way overdue. Autopia sticking around goes hand in hand with that concept art featuring Astro Orbitor which indicates more of a land refresh instead of land redo. And if that’s the case, that’s even more of a reason to believe they can/ will start work sooner than later. But it’s also a little bit of a bummer. Is this just going to be a half @ssed TL 67 with a new PeopleMover? I mean, it’s better than what we have now for sure. If they just got rid of the Astro Orbitor and put the Rocket Jets or something similar back on the platform I’d be a pretty happy camper. The PeopleMover needs to come back in its original multi color form though. No boring, depressing 2020’s colors.

Other things that may be a part of this refresh:

Buzz retheme OR new dark ride OR use the building as a show building for the new People Mover?? Imagine a PeopleMover that turns into a Wall E dark ride or something.

Something in the COP building. Maybe even a nice sit down restaurant with views of Tomorrowland. Or the Space themed restaurant from Epcot.

A new show at the TL theatre

I don’t think Nemo or Star Tours would be part of a refresh
I like the Toy Story movies but they have so much overrepresentation in the parks whether it is rides, lands, parade floats, etc. I say get rid of buzz. That and the current Space Mountain both opened up 20 years ago in 2005.

Tokyo Disney is redoing their Space Mountain and I'm guessing Disneyland is next.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I like the Toy Story movies but they have so much overrepresentation in the parks whether it is rides, lands, parade floats, etc. I say get rid of buzz. That and the current Space Mountain both opened up 20 years ago in 2005.

Tokyo Disney is redoing their Space Mountain and I'm guessing Disneyland is next.

I wouldn’t shed a tear for buzz (although depending what replaces it it could very well be a Bugs Land situation) but Space Mountain I’d be hesitant. I don’t think a Cosmic Rewind style ride would fit in that building anyway. It would for sure have to go in a bigger building utilizing some of the bus transpo expansion space. Considering the risk and what would be required to bring a Cosmic Rewind type ride to TL I’d rather have that ride/ ride system be a new build as part of DL Forward or just make it an Avengers themed Cosmic Rewind and put it in AC.

CaptinEO

I wouldn’t shed a tear for buzz (although depending what replaces it it could very well be a Bugs Land situation) but Space Mountain I’d be hesitant. I don’t think a Cosmic Rewind style ride would fit in that building anyway. It would for sure have to go in a bigger building utilizing some of the bus transpo expansion space. Considering the risk and what would be required to bring a Cosmic Rewind type ride to TL I’d rather have that ride/ ride system be a new build as part of DL Forward or just make it an Avengers themed Cosmic Rewind and put it in AC.
With Space I'm just imagining a track rebuild with the same layout and brand new special effects/lighting/queue video. It is pretty outdated these days. Basically the same thing they did in 2003.

mickEblu

Original Poster
With Space I'm just imagining a track rebuild with the same layout and brand new special effects/lighting/queue video. It is pretty outdated these days.

Oh I see. Yeah I’d be all for the new special effects. Is the track rebuild necessary? The new Tokyo Space Mountain is rumored to be Cosmic Rewinds ride system.

CaptinEO

Oh I see. Yeah I’d be all for the new special effects. Is the track rebuild necessary? The new Tokyo Space Mountain is rumored to be Cosmic Rewinds ride system.
They did the track rebuild in 03, Big Thunder gets a track rebuild every decade or so too. If the ride is being upgraded may as well do maintenance.

I'm doubtful Tokyo's could be converted to cosmic rewind. The weight and stress of a coaster with rotating seats is much different than the current standard trains.

A lot of ride engineering is based on gravity and I don't see them being able to swap in heavy trains without making it a whole new coaster.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They did the track rebuild in 03, Big Thunder gets a track rebuild every decade or so too. If the ride is being upgraded may as well do maintenance.

I'm doubtful Tokyo's could be converted to cosmic rewind. The weight and stress of a coaster with rotating seats is much different than the current standard trains.

A lot of ride engineering is based on gravity and I don't see them being able to swap in heavy trains without making it a whole new coaster.

Tokyo is knocking the whole thing down if I’m not mistaken. I don’t like the new facade. That would be one of my biggest worries if they touch our Space Mountain.

CaptinEO

Tokyo is knocking the whole thing down if I’m not mistaken. I don’t like the new facade. That would be one of my biggest worries if they touch our Space Mountain.
Oh wow! So they are making a whole new ride! I take back what I'm saying.

Have you been on Cosmic Rewind? I have and my wife and I both literally said the ride feels like if they made Space Mountain today.

If it's cosmic rewind without the guardians that's a win for me.

That being said, no idea on Tokyo Disneyland's free space but good luck cramming this into Disneyland's acreage. At Epcot it's a huge giant box.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Oh wow! So they are making a whole new ride! I take back what I'm saying.

Have you been on Cosmic Rewind? I have and my wife and I both literally said the ride feels like if they made Space Mountain today.

If it's cosmic rewind without the guardians that's a win for me.

That being said, no idea on Tokyo Disneyland's free space but good luck cramming this into Disneyland's acreage. At Epcot it's a huge giant box.

Lol yeah a whole new ride. I haven’t been on it looks awesome and I’d love for it to come to DLR in some iteration. Just not sure I want to replace Space Mountain.

J4546

well if they tore down SM when they built that new eastern gateway expansion pedestrian footbridge over harbor blvd...they might figure a way to fit it all in

mickEblu

Original Poster
well if they tore down SM when they built that new eastern gateway expansion pedestrian footbridge over harbor blvd...they might figure a way to fit it all in

Yeah that’s what the bus transpo area i refer to in the post you quoted is.

CaptinEO

Lol yeah a whole new ride. I haven’t been on it looks awesome and I’d love for it to come to DLR in some iteration. Just not sure I want to replace Space Mountain.
I mean it is a super cool ride but I do see losing something by getting rid of the basic coaster in the dark concept of space mountain.

If you update everything to be a modern ride system you lose some history and purpose. Certainly don't want kuka arm Haunted Mansion being a thing one day.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The more I get disappointed with some of Disneys recent lands/ attractions the more pleased I am that Autopia will be sticking around at DL... at least for a while. I don't care if all the other ones around the world close but I see value in the original remaining even in its non opening day form. If you view the area including Autopia, the Monorail, the Subs, the DLRR (and hopefully) the PeopleMover as a package the value of that area sky rockets exponentially. We'll never see that level of layering with Disney attractions again. Let it remain as a Disneyland exclusive thing. I promise you it will be missed if it's ever replaced with Frozen or something.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Going back to Autopia I think they’ll need to replace the engine sounds somehow or it will feel “empty.” Maybe give Autopia its own old school pleasant Disney soundtrack. Call Robert Sherman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom