New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah that sounds doable. They could even start construction after the holidays in January 2026 and have the full park open for nearly 8 months of the 70th anniversary if they start the celebration in May like they did for the 60th.
Agreed, announce something like a 70th celebration to be followed up by a TL phased closure.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I imagine if there's any real attempt to redo Tomorrowland, it's no longer going to be called Tomorrowland.

They named the new DVC Tower the Discovery Tower to go along with the naming convention of Frontier, Adventure, Fantasy for the other towers.

I'd have to think they'd shift Tomorrowland into a contemporary-fiction Discoveryland thing instead. What that would look like is anyone's guess, but I would think only Space Mountain is safe long-term.

Everything else in current day Tomorrowland is either tired, hokey, closed, abandoned, duplicative, and/or irrelevant in 2024.

Ugh. Good point. Forgot about that. The thought of losing the Tomorrowland nomenclature is depressing. Tomorrowland Tower has such a better ring to it too. So if they passed up on that then you are probably right and the name is dead unless plans change. What I’m trying to figure out is- Does a Discoverland name change make it more or less likely we see something similar to TL 67? I’d say less but that would also conflict with the TL entrance concept art. Or maybe they thought it was silly to copy something that was built in the mid 60s and call it Tomorrowland? Anyway, plans may have changed and will probably continue to change. Especially with the shakeup at WDI and some of the old heads coming back.

SSG

Redo Tomorrowland? This is the year it's happening, I swear!

missed-kick-kick.gif

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just curious, how long has the new entrance been “under construction”?
It was announced in 2019. It was mostly completed in its current form in 2021. So it depends on what you mean "under construction", as there is none going on now, but 5 years if you want to get technical since it hasn't been fully completed based on the concept art.

SuddenStorm

I remember the last time an insider came back and drummed up a bunch of posts about the Peoplemover coming back.

Of course nothing was announced and they came up with a bunch of reasons why, then disappeared again.

CaptinEO

My thought process was that it was an odd choice to do this Haunted Mansion project while Splash Mountain is still down. So I thought one reason might be if there were plans for part or all of TL to go down next year. But then I remembered the 70th anniversary is next year so they may just be preparing for that. Which makes me a little less optimistic for that TL redo. I doubt they’d want TL down for the 70th. But if it’s done in phases maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️. The 70th isn’t exactly the 75th.
I think your reasoning is sound and I see Disney caring more about the olympics than the 70th. Even LAX is having a brand new people mover to be ready by the time of the olympics.

Newsom funded mental hospitals for the homeless. All socal freeways are having major construction at once.

SuddenStorm

My thought process was that it was an odd choice to do this Haunted Mansion project while Splash Mountain is still down. So I thought one reason might be if there were plans for part or all of TL to go down next year. But then I remembered the 70th anniversary is next year so they may just be preparing for that. Which makes me a little less optimistic for that TL redo. I doubt they’d want TL down for the 70th. But if it’s done in phases maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️. The 70th isn’t exactly the 75th.

At this point we should settle for them finishing the new entrance that they announced a good five years ago (with fading concept art visible in the hub ever since).

britain

They aren’t going to touch Tomorrowland until there’s more progress on Disneyland Forward, and don’t just mean parking garages. I mean they aren’t going to close down chunks of Tomorrowland until there are new lands open and operating to compensate.

Don’t expect a peep about Tomorrowland until D23 2028. I’m serious.

That’s right, nothing until the bones of TL’98 are OLDER than TL’67 was when ‘98 started work.

DisneyAJ

They aren’t going to touch Tomorrowland until there’s more progress on Disneyland Forward, and don’t just mean parking garages. I mean they aren’t going to close down chunks of Tomorrowland until there are new lands open and operating to compensate.
This is what I’ve been thinking. Tomorrowland needs such an overhaul that they’d need something sizable to shift crowds to while they work on that.

mickEblu

Original Poster
At this point we should settle for them finishing the new entrance that they announced a good five years ago (with fading concept art visible in the hub ever since).

Haha they recently replaced the fading concept art so there’s that. Hopefully they release some new concept art at some point without the Astro Orbitor there. We never talk about it but having two Tomorrowland signs on each side of the Astro Orbitor is also awful.

CaptinEO

Don’t expect a peep about Tomorrowland until D23 2028. I’m serious.

That’s right, nothing until the bones of TL’98 are OLDER than TL’67 was when ‘98 started work.
I mean they can close space/carousel of progress building/captain eo for a year and a half and then buzz/star tours for a year and half.

Who would ever imagine they would have a whole year of Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain being closed.

But again I expect nothing, Disney has proven they don't care about tommorowland. I doubt its even on their agenda.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Interesting timing?

The air tastes putrid. The traffic is terrible. The engines are loud, the oil-stained roadways ugly and antiquated.

This is Autopia, part of Walt Disney’s Tomorrowland, where kids from around the world come to dream about the future.

If anyone could get away with defending the toxic odor, it might be Bob Gurr. He designed the original Autopia cars in the mid-1950s, working closely with Walt himself. He’s proud of what they built together.

But today the 92-year-old Disney legend says the polluting motors need to go.

“Get rid of those God-awful gasoline fumes,” he told me.

Disney is finally preparing to do just that.

In news shared exclusively with The Times ahead of this column’s publication — after several weeks of my prodding the company for answers on the future of Autopia — Disney officials revealed that pure gasoline engines are on their way out.

“Since opening with Disneyland park in 1955, Autopia has remained a guest-favorite most popular with young kids experiencing driving for the first time,” spokesperson Jessica Good said in an email. “As the industry moves toward alternative fuel sources, we have developed a roadmap to electrify this attraction and are evaluating technology that will enable us to convert from gas engines in the next few years.”

Good wouldn’t confirm whether that means electric vehicles, or if hybrids are a possibility. EVs would obviously be better.

Full article at the link below.

truecoat

It wasn't that long ago, someone said the tracks for the people mover were in better shape than previously thought. I'd love to see a return of this ride, it would add so much to Tomorrowland.

denyuntilcaught

There are two pieces to this I think: one, the incomplete entrance which, to me, suggests perhaps they've said "hang on, let's pause on that while we think bigger" and then of course this new Autopia announcement, which is like "we're replacing the vehicles but we can't say with what or when."

CaptinEO

mickEblu

Original Poster
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom