New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

Nland316

For what? A ride that can be found at 5 other Disney parks?
Generally speaking I do think DL understands the stakes of their projects — at least when it comes to how they utilize their land in relation to what it is replacing or required. The best of intentions are always there at the very least in execution.

The Toontown/MMRR and Galaxy’s Edge/ROA projects come to mind. Even the new HM queue is a testimony to that.

These projects definitely don’t come without their controversies — but my point still stands that they retain as much of DL proper as they can in the process of new additions. I don’t feel the same about DCA though.

Autopia and the subs take up enormous chunks of space. I just think the park could benefit from higher quality and higher capacity attraction/s compared to what’s currently residing there. Throw in some added walking space within that particular region of the park too to ease congestion in current pathways. Most new additions have taken place on the west side of the park, it’s time for the east side to get some attention.

PiratesMansion

A bit late to the party on this thread and many of the ideas expressed in it, but yes, Tokyo's Space Mountain is being replaced with a larger Cosmic Rewind-esque coaster that is being built behind the existing ride and will take a bit of the former TDL parking lot.

Tokyo's Space Mountain had a light retheming in the early 2010s a la the US versions, but not a full rebuild (in addition to being a newer and likely better maintained ride, it was never reconfigured to have on-board audio, which likely helped the original track last longer). What is happening now is basically what DL went through in 2003 but supercharged. Because of the placement of DL's Space, and its proximity to Main Street, backstage buildings, etc. it would be difficult to do a CR-style makeover.

Electric Autopia: Not sure why it's taken them this long, the defunct Hong Kong Autopia was running all-electric cars in 2005 and has been out of commission for a decade.

I do think the best way forward would be to keep but rework the Monorail and Autopia tracks. They are too iconic to remove entirely, but both arguably take up more space than they merit in today's park. The subs' departure is probably inevitable at some point simply because of long-term maintenance and staffing concerns.

In an ideal universe Buzz would be improved or replaced, but Buzz is probably the least likely Tomorrowland attraction to be touched as it stands now. People will always love the Toy Story (now with yet another sequel coming, hurray for Bob Iger!), and so Buzz stays.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Generally speaking I do think DL understands the stakes of their projects — at least when it comes to how they utilize their land in relation to what it is replacing or required. The best of intentions are always there at the very least in execution.

The Toontown/MMRR and Galaxy’s Edge/ROA projects come to mind. Even the new HM queue is a testimony to that.

These projects definitely don’t come without their controversies — but my point still stands that they retain as much of DL proper as they can in the process of new additions. I don’t feel the same about DCA though.

Autopia and the subs take up enormous chunks of space. I just think the park could benefit from higher quality and higher capacity attraction/s compared to what’s currently residing there. Throw in some added walking space within that particular region of the park too to ease congestion in current pathways. Most new additions have taken place on the west side of the park, it’s time for the east side to get some attention.

What realistic option would you like to see go there?

TP2000

Sounds like the LA Times was writing a hit piece so Disney reluctantly agreed they're changing the attraction.

That's exactly what it sounds like. The LA Times "Climate Columnist; focused on clean energy" (his description of himself and his work) was ticked off that Autopia is still using gasoline. His big "scoop" (again, his own word describing this article) was that he got TDA to write a vapid and extremely vague reply to his inquiry.

Just read the sub-heading this story intro got in the Times; this "Climate Columnist" was going in for the kill and got TDA to wave the white flag on Autopia, but they still aren't satisfied and now the LA Times wants Disney to change its movies and parks to suit the tastes of LA Times readers who wouldn't be caught dead at Disneyland:

"The classic ride is moving toward electric vehicles. But at its parks and in its movies, Disney can do more to champion climate solutions." - Los Angeles Times

The TDA reply is laughably meaningless. Especially for us longtime fans here who can decipher TDA speak... 🤣

"As the industry moves towards alternative fuel sources, we have developed a roadmap to electrify this attraction and are evaluating technology that will enable us to convert from gas engines in the next few years."

Electric Autopia: Not sure why it's taken them this long, the defunct Hong Kong Autopia was running all-electric cars in 2005 and has been out of commission for a decade.

To be clear, nothing was announced for Autopia today. It has taken them this long to simply issue that vague and pandering statement from a PR intern that says nothing and means nothing. But for the folks following the LA Times climate writer at that niche media outfit, they think it actually means something. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe.

Also notice that this was only about Disneyland, not WDW or Disneyland Paris. Again, because this was a hit piece being written by the LA Times, which tells me that this is not a company-wide strategy to stop using gasoline.

Rather, this Autopia non-announcement is an Anaheim based attempt to head off an unflattering media story about how stinky Autopia is and how it's the ride you go on if you hate the planet. You did hit that Like button for the Times, right?

Last edited:

Disney Vault

If Disneyland was to follow in Tokyos footsteps with a new space mountain I think it would he better to build it where the current launch bay sits. This would also then open up more space for an Edison square type expansion East of Main Street without space mt imposing over it

mickEblu

Original Poster
They should just full send a World's Fair retheme to Tomorrowland and be done with it. At least merchandising is on it when it comes to what the people want:

(I did cop the baseball jersey...)

I’m liking that merch. Really weird timing with my Tomorrowland post yesterday between this merch line and the Autopia news.

Also notice how heavily the PeopleMover is featured. 🤔 I even think I see some Astro Orbitor. No skyway though

trainplane3

Oh wow! So they are making a whole new ride! I take back what I'm saying.

Have you been on Cosmic Rewind? I have and my wife and I both literally said the ride feels like if they made Space Mountain today.

If it's cosmic rewind without the guardians that's a win for me.

That being said, no idea on Tokyo Disneyland's free space but good luck cramming this into Disneyland's acreage. At Epcot it's a huge giant box.
A single piece of track was spotted onsite in TDL and it looks Intamin, not Vekoma. That means this will be a completely different ride system compared to GotG. Pretty exciting if that's the case.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yeah…but Stitch is there. That’s not a good omen.

lol I missed that. A Stitch retheme of Buzz wouldn't offend me. Putting him in Space Mountain or replacing Star Tours would. If you think about it there has to be some sort of IP tie in with the People Mover. That thing isn't coming back IP free in the 2020's. Im thinking that could be Stitch. He sells a ton of merch. Maybe they retheme Buzz or replace Buzz with a Stitch dark ride. Or maybe they use the Buzz building for some Stitch show scenes and part of the People Mover queue?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
lol I missed that. A Stitch retheme of Buzz wouldn't offend me. Putting him in Space Mountain or replacing Star Tours would. If you think about it there has to be some sort of IP tie in with the People Mover. That thing isn't coming back IP free in the 2020's. Im thinking that could be Stitch. He sells a ton of merch. Maybe they retheme Buzz or replace Buzz with a Stitch dark ride. Or maybe they use the Buzz building for some Stitch show scenes and part of the People Mover queue?
Maybe they'll revive the Buzz retheme for SM.... ;)

waltography

Stitch "messing" with the PeopleMover tour by getting a little show scene in the old speed room would be the kind of lighthearted stakes that make Disneyland rides so endearing.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Stitch would be PERFECT in the People Mover.

Probably a coincidence but when they released the MK PeopleMover Funko Pops a couple years back they had different versions with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and… Stitch.

TP2000

According to a source within WDI, a new Tomorrowland is being developed for Disneyland. Considering the role of my source within WDI, it would indicate to me that they are in the late stages of planning. I did not get any indication for when it would be announced

While I appreciate the update, and I am not doubting you, you'll have to excuse some of us old timers if we nod politely and give you a tight smile in response.

WDI has been "developing" a new Tomorrowland for Disneyland since the middle of the Bush II administration 20 years ago, a few years after their last attempt at a new Tomorrowland fell flat on its Pressler-budgeted face. They've tried to reboot a few minor things; Buzz Lightyear in the old Rocket Rods queue, a Nemo overlay to the Submarines before John Lasseter became a horrible persona not grata not to be ever mentioned again by polite society, a Rockin' Space Mountain failed overlay, a Honda sponsorship for Autopia, a Captain EO reboot for hipster 1980's nostalgia in the 2000's, a Star Wars Launch Bay that got abandoned, a wedding reception and Quinceanera event space shoved in the Starcade, etc., etc.

WDI is always developing a new Tomorrowland for Disneyland. Because that's what WDI does; they develop new stuff for the parks so that they can get a budget approved and an account number assigned to their latest project.

The real question is; will the latest New Tomorrowland Du Jour actually get approved long enough for bulldozers to show up?

CaptinEO

They should just full send a World's Fair retheme to Tomorrowland and be done with it. At least merchandising is on it when it comes to what the people want:

(I did cop the baseball jersey...)

Wow been a while since Disneyland had actual Disneyland themed merchandise, and I'm saying this as a keyholder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom