New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

Andrew25

Even though it took way too long to build... I think Epcot's Celebration Gardens will fit nicely in Disneyland as part of a Tomorrowland overhaul. Would provide those pesky passholders who like to hangout at Disneyland a dedicated spot to be in lol

Disstevefan1

Tomorrowland should be closed for a multiple year project (ala EPCOT) and the PEOPLEMOVER should be brought back to life along with the other changes.

P. S. - I said ala EPCOT except it should not end up as a miserable mistake like they did in EPCOT

TP2000

It really sucks how management can currently close two major attractions that make up the upper west side of Disneyland for almost a year but you can’t close down a couple of attractions in Tomorrowland and spruce the land up.

Because the people in charge have no real plan that looks more than 6 months out.

And they have no ability to pull the trigger and make real decisions to improve the showmanship of their parks, much less improve the paying customer experience. Because none of them have ever been paying customers of that actual product, and they simply don't care about the product they allegedly are "leaders" of.

If they do deign it necessary to visit the parks, they get valet parking and a perky CM in a plaid vest to lead them around via the backdoor on any ride they want, or to the roped off reserved seating waiting for them for the parade or World of Color. Before dinner at the best table at Club 33, pre-staged with its best waiter and a fawning tongue bath from the Club 33 manager on duty, naturally.

The Burbank and TDA execs have no idea what their product actually is for their actual customers.

And that is business suicide.

CaptinEO

Timeline.

So one LA Times person writes an article and the whole of WDI buckles? Reminds me of the 10 people mad at Splash Mountain getting the ride closed.

I'm glad for the gas engines going away but why does Disney give the LA Times this much power?

Per the journalist it just means autopia gas engines are gone in 2026, but no idea when it is reopening. Did he just get an opening day attraction closed?

Sounds very Disney to abandon another Tomorrowland ride.

MK-fan

26 years since the last New Tomorrowland is a long time. There was a small timeframe of some major updates from 2005-2011 with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, New Space Mountain, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, New Star Tours, New Monorail, Captain EO Tribute and the Renovated Tomorrowland Terrace/ Jedi Training Show. For the last 13 years, no updates at all except for Star Wars Launch Bay which was only created for the new franchise tie-in for season of the force. Autopia was also updated but only because of a new sponsorship from Honda. The entrance was due to get an update in 2019 only to have the project half completed with no new progress. Basically the land hasn’t been updated with new attractions or renovations because they know something big is gonna happen but 13 years is too long and just plain neglectful. Hopefully something gets announced by summer because as fans, we shouldn’t have to suffer this long.

Last edited:

TP2000

Here's the most hysterical part of this Autopia virtue signaling thing...

Once they do replace the cars with electric models, they will be powered almost entirely by natural gas and coal.

Anaheim currently gets 72% of its electricity from gas and coal, and after sundown that increases to nearly 100% of the supply.

The cars will need to be charged up overnight to be ready for the next day. That's exactly when solar power goes away, and Southern California's grid switches over almost exclusively to interstate lines bringing in electricity from gas and coal powered plants in Arizona and Utah. Which is why SoCal Edison power rates are so much cheaper from 9pm to 8am; it's run off of coal power from Utah's Rocky Mountain Power Company. Utah makes a lot of money selling electricity to Southern California utility companies, so Utah recently extended its coal powered plants an extra decade to 2042.

Autopia, Presented by Utah Coal and Gas!

Last edited:

TP2000

The city of Anaheim has its own electric utility service, and obviously Disneyland is its biggest customer.

Here's the breakdown of the sources and amounts of Megawatts (MW) of where Anaheim Public Utilities gets its electricity from. After sundown, it switches over almost exclusively to natural gas and coal sources.

247 Megawatts come from Utah. You're welcome! And please don't bump the car ahead of you. 😁

Solar = 40.1 MW or 5% of supply
Methane Gas = 48.2 MW or 6% of supply
Hydro/Thermal = 60.7 MW or 8% of supply
Wind = 67 MW or 9% of supply
Coal = 236 MW or 31% of supply
Natural Gas = 318 MW or 41% of supply

J4546

Once they do replace the cars with electric models, they will be powered almost entirely by natural gas and coal.

Anaheim currently gets 72% of its electricity from gas and coal, and after sundown that increases to nearly 100% of the supply.

The cars will need to be charged up overnight to be ready for the next day. That's exactly when solar power goes away, and Southern California's grid switches over almost exclusively to interstate lines bringing in electricity from gas and coal powered plants in Arizona and Utah. Which is why SoCal Edison power rates are so much cheaper from 9pm to 8am; it's run off of coal power from Utah's Rocky Mountain Power Company. Utah makes a lot of money selling electricity to Southern California utility companies, so Utah recently extended its coal powered plants an extra decade to 2042.

Autopia, Presented by Utah Coal!

I just wanna chime in and say that going electric isnt virtue signaling imo...My next car will be electric and not because environmental reasons, I want one because they are fast and fun to drive. I dont care if they are good or bad for the environment

everything doesnt have to be virtuos or political or an attack on your beliefs or whatever.....Electric cars belong in tomorrowland, they are here to stay, every car manufacturer makes fully electric cars now, they are the future and updating the old gas powered go carts to electric ones is just keeping up with the times and very fitting with tomorrowland...they shoulda done this 10 years ago imo.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Autopia, Presented by Utah Coal!

The city of Anaheim has its own electric utility service, and obviously Disneyland is its biggest customer.

Here's the breakdown of the sources and amounts of Megawatts (MW) of where Anaheim Public Utilities gets its electricity from. After sundown, it switches over almost exclusively to natural gas and coal sources.

247 Megawatts come from Utah. You're welcome! And please don't bump the car ahead of you. 😁

Solar = 40.1 MW or 5% of supply
Methane Gas = 48.2 MW or 6% of supply
Hydro/Thermal = 60.7 MW or 8% of supply
Wind = 67 MW or 9% of supply
Coal = 236 MW or 31% of supply
Natural Gas = 318 MW or 41% of supply

Then they must be the last remaining parts of CA still getting power from coal, as it only accounts for 2.15% of the entire states energy mix. With Nat Gas accounting for 36% -

Coal 273 0.13% 181 5,716 5,897 6,170 2.15%
Natural Gas 96,457 47.46% 44 7,994 8,038 104,495 36.38%

And coal usage for electricity in the entire state is expected to end completely in 2026.

"As a result, essentially all imports of coal-fired generation In CA from other states are expected to end by 2026."

TP2000

I just wanna chime in and say that going electric isnt virtue signaling imo...

I agree. But in this LA Times/Autopia case, it's fairly obvious this was virtue signaling.

The LA Times "climate reporter" was doing a hit piece on Disneyland, so they had to say something and make vague statements about "considering a path forward" or some such meaningless drivel. There is no concrete plan, and Disney has said nothing about the gas powered Autopia attractions in Paris and Orlando.

Paris and Orlando are on the same planet as Anaheim, for the record. Thus, it's virtue signaling to LA Times readers who wouldn't be caught dead at Disneyland.

My next car will be electric and not because environmental reasons, I want one because they are fast and fun to drive. I dont care if they are good or bad for the environment

I have driven and ridden in friends Teslas, and they are very fun to drive! I am contemplating replacing my older SUV with a new electric Dodge Charger coupe next year when I have to take money out of my IRA for tax purposes. I will keep my newer gas powered convertible however, because it just makes me smile. So far, there are no electric convertibles, and I like to make an entrance at the valet stand.

everything doesnt have to be virtuos or political or an attack on your beliefs or whatever.....Electric cars belong in tomorrowland, they are here to stay, every car manufacturer makes fully electric cars now, they are the future and updating the old gas powered go carts to electric ones is just keeping up with the times and very fitting with tomorrowland...they shoulda done this 10 years ago imo.

That would seem to be an argument that electric cars are no longer futuristic, which they really aren't. They belong in Todayland, not Tomorrowland.

20 years ago Hong Kong Disneyland's electric Autopia was still futuristic. But in the 2020's? Nope.

Last edited:

TP2000

And coal usage for electricity in the entire state is expected to end completely in 2026.

"As a result, essentially all imports of coal-fired generation In CA from other states are expected to end by 2026."

That article is exactly one year old as of tomorrow. It's no longer accurate. Because...

Earlier this month, Utah's Rocky Mountain Power extended its coal plants out another 15 years, from 2026 and 2030 closure dates to a new 2042 closure date.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That article is exactly one year old as of tomorrow. It's no longer accurate. Because...

Earlier this month, Utah's Rocky Mountain Power extended its coal plants out another 15 years, from 2026 and 2030 closure dates to a new 2042 closure date.

Just because Rocky Mountain power in a completely different state extended its coal plant doesn't mean CA will use it. In 2026 CA will end its use of coal as a source for energy, that is based on a 2006 law passed. The article from the EIA I posted is about CA energy uses, not other states.

TP2000

Just because Rocky Mountain power in a completely different state extended its coal plant doesn't mean CA will use it. In 2026 CA will end its use of coal as a source for energy, that is based on a 2006 law passed. The article is about CA energy uses, not other states.

Anaheim currently gets 236 Megawatts of electricity from a coal plant operating in Utah, and 318 Megawatts of electricity from Natural Gas plants located in Burbank and Anaheim (coincidentally Disney's two towns!). That is 72% of Anaheim's daily use, and almost all of it exclusively after sundown when Autopia cars would be charging for the next day.

Where do you propose Anaheim replaces 72% of its electricity from?

J4546

I agree. But in this LA Times/Autopia case, it's fairly obvious this was virtue signaling.

The LA Times "climate reporter" was doing a hit piece on Disneyland, so they had to say something and make vague statements about "considering a path forward" or some such meaningless drivel. There is no concrete plan, and Disney has said nothing about the gas powered Autopia attractions in Paris and Orlando.

Paris and Orlando are on the same planet as Anaheim, for the record.

I have driven and ridden in friends Teslas, and they are very fun to drive! I am contemplating replacing my older SUV with a new electric Dodge Charger coupe next year when I have to take money out of my IRA for tax purposes. I will keep my newer gas powered convertible however, because it just makes me smile. So far, there are no electric convertibles, and I like to make an entrance at the valet stand.

That would seem to be an argument that electric cars are no longer futuristic, which they really aren't. They belong in Todayland, not Tomorrowland.

20 years ago Hong Kong Disneyland's electric Autopia was still futuristic. But in the 2020's? Nope.
i disagree with most of your points but to each their own.

In the Parks
No
Anaheim currently gets 236 Megawatts of electricity from a coal plant operating in Utah, and 318 Megawatts of electricity from Natural Gas plants located in Burbank and Anaheim (coincidentally Disney's two towns!). That is 72% of Anaheim's daily use, and almost all of it exclusively after sundown when Autopia cars would be charging for the next day.

back to the future 121 gigawatts GIF

TP2000

Anaheim is already using overnight coal and gas to charge up the new Tesla police cruisers they bought.

And again I say... why doesn't Bob Iger ask Elon Musk to put up a SpaceX exhibit in just one of Tomorrowland's many abandoned buildings??? 🤔

Disney Irish

Premium Member

That is not for me to decide, that is up to Anaheim to decide. But if the whole state is requiring no coal use even from out-of-state sources by 2026 then they better do something about it soon.

But you do know that energy storage is a thing right? So that energy generated by solar, wind, and other renewables can be used when those sources aren't available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom