New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

MK-fan

What essentially are we giving up if we were closing Tomorrowland? 1. Star Tours 2. Buzz Lightyear 3. Submarine Voyage 4. Astro Orbiter 5. Space Mountain 6. Autopia 7. Disneyland Monorail…….So six rides and a mode of transport to and from DD. Disneyland still boasts 12 rides in fantasyland, 2 rides in NOS, 3 rides in Toontown, 2 rides in GE, 2 rides in Adventureland, 3 rides in CC/Frontierland. Comes out to 24 rides not including the Railroad/Mark Twain/Columbia/Canoes. This is about the number of attractions (more in some cases) which all the castle parks have. It surely can be done regardless of capacity issues but I do understand that it does take up a huge plot of land in the Disneyland east side so that can definitely pose an issue. IMO, just do it because it’s a headache that your gonna eventually have to take care of so why not just start while the new Disneyland Forward resort iron is hot.

Professortango1

What essentially are we giving up if we were closing Tomorrowland? 1. Star Tours 2. Buzz Lightyear 3. Submarine Voyage 4. Astro Orbiter 5. Space Mountain 6. Autopia 7. Disneyland Monorail…….So six rides and a mode of transport to and from DD. Disneyland still boasts 12 rides in fantasyland, 2 rides in NOS, 3 rides in Toontown, 2 rides in GE, 2 rides in Adventureland, 3 rides in CC/Frontierland. Comes out to 24 rides not including the Railroad/Mark Twain/Columbia/Canoes. This is about the number of attractions (more in some cases) which all the castle parks have. It surely can be done regardless of capacity issues but I do understand that it does take up a huge plot of land in the Disneyland east side so that can definitely pose an issue. IMO, just do it because it’s a headache that your gonna eventually have to take care of so why not just start while the new Disneyland Forward resort iron is hot.
I could see a three phase change.

Phase 1 - Astro Oribiter, Star Tours, Arcade, and Buzz buildings razed and replaced. Access to land via lagoon area.

Phase 2 - Space Mountain queue and Carousel Theatre replacement. Access to land via both entrances.

Phase 3 - Subs, Autopia, Monorail replacements/updates. Access to land via main corridor.

This means we are down maximum of 3 attractions at a time. And the loss of Space Mountain for a period is offset by two/three brand new attractions.

mickEblu

Original Poster
New Tomorrowland is like climate change. It's real, but perpetually ten years away.

This reminds me of when I dabbled in multi level marketing a long time ago for a few months. At all the meetings one of the head guys would say "you are all getting in at just the right time, we are about to hit critical mass in 6 months." 5 months later he was still telling new people we'd be "hitting critical mass in 6 months. And I thought to myself, "shouldn't it be one month now?" lol

Last edited:

etc98

i would think that trying to shoehorn new rides and a new design is what caused the fiasco that last renovation. There is only so many coats of paints that can be applied to those planters and buildings. All those buildings are old and any new construction would require new plumbing, electrical and whatever other retrofit they find is needed. They really just need to tear down as much as possible and just leave the main building for Star Tours, Buzz and Space mountain in tact.

The rest including pizza place and all that wasted space behind it also should come down. Use those three major structures as a starting point for a new land that hopefully has a second level integrated so that the space mountain queue, a relocated rocket rods and in my suggestions a relocated monorail station can be accessed. The monorail station would be great over the train station.
I just hope that whatever they do, they address the walkway between Matterhorn and the back of the Buzz building that’s an unthemed no man’s land

Ismael Flores

I could see a three phase change.

Phase 1 - Astro Oribiter, Star Tours, Arcade, and Buzz buildings razed and replaced. Access to land via lagoon area.

Phase 2 - Space Mountain queue and Carousel Theatre replacement. Access to land via both entrances.

Phase 3 - Subs, Autopia, Monorail replacements/updates. Access to land via main corridor.

This means we are down maximum of 3 attractions at a time. And the loss of Space Mountain for a period is offset by two/three brand new attractions.
I have a feeling that any demolishing will not include the entrance corridor. Star tours building and buzz building will most likely be saved. If anything retrofitted and facade alterations.

I do hope everything else gets demolished including the pizza place and magic eye.
Give space mountain a much cleaner front plaza

TheRealSkull

In my opinion, I have always liked the idea of Tomorrowland becoming a solar punk land. Demolish everything, save Space Mountain (add major upgrades). Main entrance is replaced with a brand new water fountain entrance with a wide and open space, welcoming you into a newly innovative land with not just a main strip, but multiple paths, allowing you to explore the land from the ground and from an elevated walkway providing amazing views of the land from above. Multiple ecalators and ramps. From one of the escalators takes you to another elevated walkway where people will enter the new PeopleMover queue or the new Rocket Jets attraction, providing the highest views of the land. Through the newly constructed buildings, intertwine the new PeopleMover track. Perhaps keep the Lagoon as a loading and queue area above it with a brand new water based attraction that intertwines through newly constructed rivers flowing through the land (think of it as a water based Autopia attraction), remove Autopia. Where Autopia goes is the entrance of a newly constructed high speed smooth roller coaster that takes you through the land that beckons the guests inside. Replacing the Launch Bay is a brand new restaurant similar to Space 220. Where Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours now sits are two new attractions (omnimover, indoor flying saucer ride (with better technology!). There is also the new gift shop and a new counter service restaurant.

Anyways, my idea for this land that has so much potential.

zipadee999

In my opinion, I have always liked the idea of Tomorrowland becoming a solar punk land. Demolish everything, save Space Mountain (add major upgrades). Main entrance is replaced with a brand new water fountain entrance with a wide and open space, welcoming you into a newly innovative land with not just a main strip, but multiple paths, allowing you to explore the land from the ground and from an elevated walkway providing amazing views of the land from above. Multiple ecalators and ramps. From one of the escalators takes you to another elevated walkway where people will enter the new PeopleMover queue or the new Rocket Jets attraction, providing the highest views of the land. Through the newly constructed buildings, intertwine the new PeopleMover track. Perhaps keep the Lagoon as a loading and queue area above it with a brand new water based attraction that intertwines through newly constructed rivers flowing through the land (think of it as a water based Autopia attraction), remove Autopia. Where Autopia goes is the entrance of a newly constructed high speed smooth roller coaster that takes you through the land that beckons the guests inside. Replacing the Launch Bay is a brand new restaurant similar to Space 220. Where Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours now sits are two new attractions (omnimover, indoor flying saucer ride (with better technology!). There is also the new gift shop and a new counter service restaurant.

Anyways, my idea for this land that has so much potential.
Great ideas! I’d like to see them use the Pizza Planet for a west coast Space 220 since that used to be where Mission to Mars was. I’d also love to see them take the Launch Bay/Carousel Theater and build a west coast version of Horizons that takes aspects from all of Tomorrowland’s history and truly showcases Walt Disney’s vision of the future. They could even use Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow as the theme song to pay respects to what came before in that building. I love the idea of an indoor flying saucer attraction in the Buzz space! I’d also move the Astro orbiter back on top of the peoplemover platform

TheRealSkull

Great ideas! I’d like to see them use the Pizza Planet for a west coast Space 220 since that used to be where Mission to Mars was. I’d also love to see them take the Launch Bay/Carousel Theater and build a west coast version of Horizons that takes aspects from all of Tomorrowland’s history and truly showcases Walt Disney’s vision of the future. They could even use Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow as the theme song to pay respects to what came before in that building. I love the idea of an indoor flying saucer attraction in the Buzz space! I’d also move the Astro orbiter back on top of the peoplemover platform
Thank you! That being said, yes I would absolutely love to see the Carousel of Progress return too. Horizons would also be amazing!

I think the post-Potter focus on single-IP lands basically killed any hope for a redo of TL. When you consider the IP being used in current and future additions - Avengers, Big Hero 6, Avatar - all would somewhat fit in a redo of the land, yet instead they're being given dedicated (and half-baked in the case of the former two) lands. Obviously a non IP version would be better but this is modern Disney we're talking about.

britain

I think the post-Potter focus on single-IP lands basically killed any hope for a redo of TL. When you consider the IP being used in current and future additions - Avengers, Big Hero 6, Avatar - all would somewhat fit in a redo of the land, yet instead they're being given dedicated (and half-baked in the case of the former two) lands. Obviously a non IP version would be better but this is modern Disney we're talking about.

I think we MIGHT be at the beginning of the Post-Post-Potter era. Epic Universe being its last hurrah. Fantasy Springs signals the shifting of the pendulum.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think we MIGHT be at the beginning of the Post-Post-Potter era. Epic Universe being its last hurrah. Fantasy Springs signals the shifting of the pendulum.

I’d like to believe that but TDR/ OLC have always done their own thing and a brand new park opening in Florida with 4 single IP lands would seem to indicate otherwise. The Dinoland retheme is a good sign but that was based around the Dinosaur to Indy retheme and just a good way to incorporate some other hot IP (Encanto) that they seemed keen on adding to one of the parks. What I am hoping is that signifies the end of ALL new lands being Single IP. Surely they have got to realize it’s very limiting and not a sustainable approach. Also, how many of these properties are even worthy of entire lands?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
How Avatar fits into DLR will be very telling. Is it a major new Tomorrowland sub-section? Is it a wholesale replacement to Hollywood Land? Is it the first part to a “Distant Worlds” addition to DCA via DL Forward?

I don’t think Avatar tells us one way or another. If any IP is deserving of its own land in the execs eyes it’s the number one grossing movie of all time. Plus it already been built as a single IP land at AK so it would make more sense for them to follow that model.

Last edited:

TheRealSkull

How Avatar fits into DLR will be very telling. Is it a major new Tomorrowland sub-section? Is it a wholesale replacement to Hollywood Land? Is it the first part to a “Distant Worlds” addition to DCA via DL Forward?
Pretty sure Bob Iger has hinted that Avatar is part of Disneyland Forward.

Gusey

The Dinoland retheme is a good sign but that was based around the Dinosaur to Indy retheme and just a good way to incorporate some other hot IP (Encanto) that they seemed keen on adding to one of the parks. What I am hoping is that signifies the end of ALL new lands being Single IP.
Also, the original replacement plans for Dinoland were two mini-lands, one themed to Moana and one themed to Zootopia. The change to Tropical Americas is a good sign that options other than single-IP lands are being considered.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Also, the original replacement plans for Dinoland were two mini-lands, one themed to Moana and one themed to Zootopia. The change to Tropical Americas is a good sign that options other than single-IP lands are being considered.

True although those would have just been smaller single IP lands. I guess not quite the same or as limiting as a giant single IP land though.

Gusey

I've been thinking recently about what needs to be announced based on previous "New" lands in the last decade for a New Tomorrowland to officially be in the works:
  • New Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom (2012-14)- Little Mermaid Attraction to replace 20,000 Leagues, several themed meet and greet spaces, later addition of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • New Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom (2019-2023) (Depends on who you ask) - Tron, new entrance signage and Laugh Floor signange, new cohesive paint and flooring scheme
  • New Toon Town in Disneyland (2023) - Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, new grass area, new play areas at Goofy's & Donald's
  • New New Orleans & Critter Country in Disneyland (2023-2024) - Tiana's Bayou Adventure Tiana's Place, Haunted Mansion queue update, new Magnolia Gardens bandstand, Refershed Critter Country Shops & Eudora's Shop
  • New Frontierland in Magic Kingdom (2024-) - Tiana's Bayou Adventure, Country Bear Musical Jamboree, Shootin' Arcade replaced by DVC, Big Thunder Mountain retrack
It seems that the one thing to start a New Tomorrowland would be the announcment of one major attraction, that will lead to smaller changes in the land

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom