New Titles and Positions Announced including Jim MacPhee

Mr.EPCOT

Yeah. I was shocked.

I hope it's the first step back toward using the old WDW logo again across property. Changing it (some would say updating it) was a huge mistake.

They learned the same thing at DL and have gone back to the original.

The Walt Disney signature is frankly bland and incredibly over-exposed since it appears on almost anything/everything Disney does.

Let's see that globe with mouse ears!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

Personally, I could totally understand not going back to the original logo verbatim. I would love for it to happen, but I could see where people might get a 70's vibe out of it, as opposed to the Disneyland logo which seems to be more or less timeless. What I think might be a good idea and might more realistically happen would be to do a new logo with the same weight and thickness of typeface as the old one that incorporates the Disney World "D" with the Mickey globe. But even doing that would require that the right person be placed in a high enough position, who realizes the brand erosion that that generic Walt Disney script logo has gone through.

WDW1974

Let's just say I have a big hunch he wasn't looking for the job, even if it was the logical next step for him. I can't really say more than that...

It sounds like you may know more ... and perhaps you are right, but I can tell you from the folks I know who worked with him that was not the impression either they -- or JR -- got.

It doesn't seem rational for someone of Matt's caliber to be content simply as Prez of DLR at his age ... but maybe I am misreading.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

WDW1974

They aren't the only ones who will be planning something for the 40th. I just happen to have a hunch... :animwink:

I hope you correct.

They did a pis$ poor job of WDW's 25th ... and then ignored the 30th and 35th as well as EPCOT's 25th ... so I'll be a skeptic until I hear otherwise.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

WDW1974

Personally, I could totally understand not going back to the original logo verbatim. I would love for it to happen, but I could see where people might get a 70's vibe out of it, as opposed to the Disneyland logo which seems to be more or less timeless. What I think might be a good idea and might more realistically happen would be to do a new logo with the same weight and thickness of typeface as the old one that incorporates the Disney World "D" with the Mickey globe. But even doing that would require that the right person be placed in a high enough position, who realizes the brand erosion that that generic Walt Disney script logo has gone through.

I dunno ... I think WDW's original logo was timeless ... it sure doesn't look tired on the merchandise now.

DL's logo goes back to the 1950s and no one thinks it is 'old' ...

I think sometimes people in corporate America 'fix' things that aren't broken to justify their existence (see 'new Coke' ... or much of how Disney Parks are run today)

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

CaptainMichael

I dunno ... I think WDW's original logo was timeless ... it sure doesn't look tired on the merchandise now.

DL's logo goes back to the 1950s and no one thinks it is 'old' ...

I think sometimes people in corporate America 'fix' things that aren't broken to justify their existence (see 'new Coke' ... or much of how Disney Parks are run today)

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

I agree, the original logo looks much better today than the Walt Disney signature.

Unfortunately, it seems that the D with the Mickey globe may be slowly disappearing from the monorail trains. A few of the trains were recently repainted after the YoMD vomit decals were taken off and the infamous D is nowhere to be found on said trains. From what I heard, the D with the Mickey globe won't be coming back because it's considered by management to be "outdated".

WDW1974

I agree, the original logo looks much better today than the Walt Disney signature.

Unfortunately, it seems that the D with the Mickey globe may be slowly disappearing from the monorail trains. A few of the trains were recently repainted after the YoMD vomit decals were taken off and the infamous D is nowhere to be found on said trains. From what I heard, the D with the Mickey globe won't be coming back because it's considered by management to be "outdated".

Great example of how one hand at WDW doesn't know what the other is doing.

So you reintroduce the logo on all MK merchandise at the same time you start taking if off the trains?

These folks are geniuses.

What are they going to replace the logo with? A DVC one?!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

CaptainMichael

So you reintroduce the logo on all MK merchandise at the same time you start taking if off the trains?

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

Exactly.

I'm just glad that watercraft manages to avoid these celebration overlays that monorails and now the busses get. We also still have our retro logos:king:

The monorails look naked without them.:(

tirian

I know you've said this before, but I saw the D globe on the newly repainted monorails; I think they were only on one side instead of both. :shrug:

wilsonhanks

I know you've said this before, but I saw the D globe on the newly repainted monorails; I think they were only on one side instead of both. :shrug:

Can someone post some pics or links to the logos you are discussing? I just wanna make sure I am thinking of the rught ones?

Thanks! :)

Mr.EPCOT

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

Actually, last time I looked, there are only missing "D"s on Monorails Black and Silver. Monorail Silver was repainted recently due to damage to its paint job from the Year of a Million Dreams decals (that's why the new balloon decals are only on the windows), and it sounds like they just simply forgot to put the "D"s back on, instead of a deliberate decision to phase them out. And Monorail Black does have a "D" or two, but two or three of them are missing, that's been that way for many years now. I'm not sure what the story is behind that one. But flubs in the trains paint jobs are common, such as Monorail Purple's stripe being thinner in one section than the rest of the train.

GothMickey

Actually, last time I looked, there are only missing "D"s on Monorails Black and Silver. Monorail Silver was repainted recently due to damage to its paint job from the Year of a Million Dreams decals (that's why the new balloon decals are only on the windows), and it sounds like they just simply forgot to put the "D"s back on, instead of a deliberate decision to phase them out. And Monorail Black does have a "D" or two, but two or three of them are missing, that's been that way for many years now. I'm not sure what the story is behind that one. But flubs in the trains paint jobs are common, such as Monorail Purple's stripe being thinner in one section than the rest of the train.

Ah well, no one is perfect.

HMF

Monorail Silver was repainted recently due to damage to its paint job from the Year of a Million Dreams decals (that's why the new balloon decals are only on the windows),
good' so we won't have to see another monstrosity like that again.

CaptainMichael

hmmm...don't recall saying this before. This is something I just witnessed last week.

I didn't keep track of which ones didn't have it, but it seemed like quite a few were missing which prompted me to ask someone in monorail ops. Even if it's just a matter of forgetting...it's not right.

The busses are a whole different realm of monstrosities themselves.
Indeed. They need a complete overhaul visually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom