News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

aladdin2007

I suspect ground work will begin before we get an official announcement...

Now with this and TRON we will officially have the largest expansion I'm MK history (looking at you NFL)

With the Stitch replacement we will have three new attractions for the 50th

what stitch replacement :), I dont think they know what to do with it, although with all the shuffling going on maybe finally they will commit to something.

kthomas105

what stitch replacement :), I dont think they know what to do with it, although with all the shuffling going on maybe finally they will commit to something.
Whoever suggested a GOTG for a breakout style show, IMO, was spot on. It’s the same premis as SGE and fits in the land thematically as well as any other IP Disney has put in there. Also it would fit in that building with minimal up fitting. I’m not suggesting it’s what TL deserves or what we as guest want. I’m simply saying it’s an overlay of a current IP in a building that doesn’t work for much else besides a small theater in the round set up without substantial renovations.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Look, even the great Frozen has died off a bit. We took 4 girls to WDW during marathon weekend... 4, 6, 9 and 10. Only one of them was into frozen. The rest of them were more interested in Star Wars. What gives? Did Disney put too many eggs in the Let it go basket?

In fairness, I would be shocked if the two older were still into Princesses. My daughter was mildly (not really excited) into them on the trip when she was 6 and had absolutely no interest when she was 8. The princess window really is like 3-4 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So nothing but Frozen makes sense?

No...that's not the result of the pattern.

What they haven't done is make Attractions based on IP in under 10 years UNLESS it's based off really insane popular success that moves a lot of merchandise.

Frozen was that...toy story was that...

Moana, coco, wreck if Ralph are not.

The problem with elsa's boats over at Epcot is that it wasn't seen for what it was: and outlier to the pattern.

So the somewhat natural result is we see "confirmed" coco Attractions 4 days after it opened based on trust in rotten tomatoes.

That's not the "disney way"...it's about longterm bank assessment. Why did the bother to build permenant structures for beauty and the beast and little mermaid 25+ year later? Cause you can always make money off that merch.

I think a moana show or maybe lightly themed ride would be a good idea. But it doesn't fit the pattern. Yet.

...the other outlier is cult fandom/legacy...before we go there let's just head that one off too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Look, even the great Frozen has died off a bit. We took 4 girls to WDW during marathon weekend... 4, 6, 9 and 10. Only one of them was into frozen. The rest of them were more interested in Star Wars. What gives? Did Disney put too many eggs in the Let it go basket?

The reality is that frozen...like avatar...hit a soft spot and overperformed.

It has some good characters and catchy songs..but i kid ye not - Tangled is a way better movie.

So of course - they franchise it. The Olaf short was pulled cause it was so bad...and the sequel seems to have had some development issues. Probably cause there isn't much story there. It will do a good box office...but probably a huge 30%+ reduction in take...and that's a loss of free money for disney.

They are desperate for bankable franchises...that's in no way related to them desperately trying to launch a streaming service (I'm sure...couldn't be...)...so we're gonna see a lot of this.

How many live action remakes planned?
How many animated sequels?
How many superhero and weird sci follow ups?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WDW really needs some theme in their theme parks. But, based on recent track record, they’ll probably re-build the Tomorrowland Speedway in Adventureland.

This is one of the biggest unfolding problems we see that won't be really lamented until we're far down the road.

The thematic approach is what has allowed disney parks to maintain longterm reputation and grow in attendance and financial capacity.

They are really starting to abandon it to try and drive quarterlies and it will be a
Huge mistake as other competitors make inroads...such as has happened the last 8 years In Orlando.

You can't claim "nobody does it better..." and then embark on a path of actively trying to abandon the approach that made you better.

Epcot is ground zero for that.

matt9112

Considering how much capex they have committed to...it's time to start looking for reductions...

But to your point...adding to magic kingdom now probably doesn't to make sense a whole hell of a lot. From an operations standpoint...that makes no strategic sense.

You actively push people towards the other three to extract maximum blood from each minimum wage employee you begrudgingly pay...I didn't understand the magic kingdom announcements last year...I'll take them...but the seed should still be thrown to DAK and EPCOT based on the current state. Which apparently we know far better than anyone in Burbank does.

you can't force people to go to three other parks half of regular day guests don't know exsist....Disney world IS THE magic kingdom to so many guests. you need to build it out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
you can't force people to go to three other parks half of regular day guests don't know exsist....Disney world IS THE magic kingdom to so many guests. you need to build it out.

But you still have the burden of huge daily operational costs and as others have pointed out...magic kingdom is built out.

The Others are not and ignoring that is going to make more revenue a problem when they go to look for it.

It wasn't that long ago that people didn't think of the MK of "being" wdw...by the way.

The whole property and the variety of things to do over their competitors was the big draw/uniqueness.

The princess craze...and the party obsession...and the firework viewing...all ironically came about as the magic kingdom fanaticism has risen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom