New Small World Merchandise that makes you go hmmm

HMF

May I direct your attention to Lilo & Stitch and Woody & Bullseye.... I haven't seen the updated attraction so I cannot comment on it, but not all the characters are literary classics.
Here is the one I actually like. I let it pass because Mary Blair actually designed the vignette for the Alice in Wonderland movie.
iaswAlice.jpg

Aladdin and Jasmine stick out and shout "look at me" Alladin is Middle Eastern not Indian BTW.
iaswJasmine.jpg

Woody and Jessie fit into the ride really well.:shrug:
iasWoody.jpg

Also keep in mind Stitch is NOT from Earth.

RSoxNo1

May I direct your attention to Lilo & Stitch and Woody & Bullseye.... I haven't seen the updated attraction so I cannot comment on it, but not all the characters are literary classics.

IMO, Woody and Jessie don't fit in at all, but Lilo and Stitch blend in almost seemlessly. Stitch is funky enough looking that he fits in with the characters, and Lilo is almost already in the Mary Blair stylized characters. For the most part, these were great additions, with Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, Pinnocchio, Donald, Jose, and Panchito being the only noteable exceptions for me.

Wilt Dasney

Oh, come on. He lives on Earth now, so why should he be excluded based on where he was born? That's a bit like saying someone who was born in another country, then moved here can't be a "real" American. :p

HMF

Oh, come on. He lives on Earth now, so why should he be excluded based on where he was born? That's a bit like saying someone who was born in another country, then moved here can't be a "real" American. :p
He is not one of the children of the WORLD.

GOOfy45

Banned
He is not one of the children of the WORLD.
Hey im with anything to get that piece of clown crap out of tommorrowland. Now if only there was a way to file permits for the crane at the castle to moved to SGE with wreckingball attached. We could have a gamechanging moment in theme park history.

David S.

Here's my take on the "characters in Small World" issue.

On the one hand, I respect where the "purists" are coming from. A lot of people who I respect and agree with on many issues were outspokenly against adding these changes.

Personally, I find the ride is filled to the brim with charm and cuteness already, and does not actually "need" the characters to provide the type of charm, cuteness, whimsy, warmth, and happiness I love in my Disney attractions. The children, animals, and catchy and addictive theme song by the Shermans take care of this nicely! I'm especially partial to the animals! :)

BUT, here is something very IRONIC to consider.

The theme, message, spirit, and entire POINT of Small World is one of love, happiness, peace, harmony, tolerance, and acceptance of ALL!

In THIS context, the passionate movement to EXCLUDE the characters from the ride could be perceived as going against the very soul, spirit and essence of the attraction!

After all, would those happy children, and cute, lovable hippo and geese REALLY be opposed to sharing their space and showing a little love to some new neighbors? Personally, I don't think they would mind! :)

So my opinion on it is, I LOVE the ride now (it's my co-favorite), and if the characters ever join the party at WDW (Stitch included), I will STILL love it! :)

NewfieFan

Glad you were able to get one and enjoy it! :)

I would have bought one too, as Small World is my co-favorite Disney attraction, but unfortunately they are not made in the male style and size.

More silly gender stereotyping, where the "marketing geniouses" assume that because someone is an adult male, they won't like IASW enough to buy a shirt for it!

I can only hope the "Design A Tee" shop at Downtown Disney eventually gets a Small World design in their system. I am so happy that thanks to "Design A Tee", I now have cute Dumbo, Bambi/Thumper, Jiminy Cricket, Nemo, Flounder, and Chip n' Dale shirts (to name just a few!), in an adult male style and size, that I can wear with pride! I would have NEVER been able to find shirts with these cute, so-called "kiddie" characters in an adult size if it wasn't for Design A Tee! I'm even able to put the Walt Disney World logo on them, and they look just as "official" as the WDW character shirts for sale in the "regular" shops!

That shop allows me to design and buy a lot of WDW shirts that work PERFECTLY for my tastes, which is much more appealing than letting the "marketing geniuses" who select what will be in the regular stores decide what I "should" and "shouldn't" be interested in based on superficial, stereotypical factors such as gender and age!

Totally off topic but as a petite female I have issues with a lot of the clothing at WDW too. Take for example, the retro Epcot stuff... it's all done in the regular fit t-shirts... fine for men... but a small is still two sizes too big for a petite female. All the female fitted styles are the colorful character style... which is not what I'm looking for in an Epcot t-shirt.

So, I feel your pain!

Tigger1988

Totally off topic but as a petite female I have issues with a lot of the clothing at WDW too. Take for example, the retro Epcot stuff... it's all done in the regular fit t-shirts... fine for men... but a small is still two sizes too big for a petite female. All the female fitted styles are the colorful character style... which is not what I'm looking for in an Epcot t-shirt.

So, I feel your pain!

I totally agree with you on the Retro EPCOT shirts.

I bought one in the smallest size and I'll be taking it to a tailor to be fitted in a few weeks. That's how bad I want one :lol:

David S.

So, I feel your pain!

Wow, I'm sorry that happens to you. In my case, I always like to wear my clothing oversized and baggy so "too big" has never been an issue for me, especially since they always shrink over time, anyway. Maybe you would find stuff you like at Design A Tee, and if you do, you can get any design they have in their database in any size you want!

Maryssa*

Oh wow, I actually worked on some of this merch and it totally didn't occur to me at the time that the WDW Small World doesn't have the characters. My guess is that the art was just too cute not to use, and it's in the same style of the Small World characters anyway, so most people probably wouldn't even stop to think about it. There are some separate teams for DLR and WDW merch but there is also a lot of shared merch (obviously).

edit: And btw, the characters in the DL version are great. You honestly don't even notice most of them unless you're specifically looking for them. They blend in well and I think they add a cute touch.

devoy1701

I liked the characters being in Disneyland's version. I thought it was done very tastefully. I definitely would not mind it being done here as well.

wdwmousetales

Original Poster
T-Shirts

I agree with you guys about the shirts. I bought the Mr Toad's Wild Ride shirt that was posted here a few days ago. I normally wear a large but the x-large was pretty small. Lately most of the shirts run extremely small.

Wilt Dasney

The theme, message, spirit, and entire POINT of Small World is one of love, happiness, peace, harmony, tolerance, and acceptance of ALL!

In THIS context, the passionate movement to EXCLUDE the characters from the ride could be perceived as going against the very soul, spirit and essence of the attraction!

After all, would those happy children, and cute, lovable hippo and geese REALLY be opposed to sharing their space and showing a little love to some new neighbors? Personally, I don't think they would mind! :)
Nicely put, and that's essentially what I was trying to get at. Saying Stitch is out of place because of where he was born completely goes against the message at the heart of the ride. None of those Small World kids (were they able to get off script and actually speak to us) would vote to exclude a furry blue citizen of Earth from their ride because of his ancestry. They'd just be happy he's here having fun with us now!

LM 2010

When I rode the ride last summer at DL, I thought the new additions were cute and it was fun to spot the changes and was sad to not see them during my trip to WDW last fall. That being said the new product was in DL last summer so if they weren't planning on making the changes in FL why wouldn't they have gotten the products sooner?

mp2bill

Here is the one I actually like. I let it pass because Mary Blair actually designed the vignette for the Alice in Wonderland movie.
iaswAlice.jpg

Aladdin and Jasmine stick out and shout "look at me" Alladin is Middle Eastern not Indian BTW.
iaswJasmine.jpg

Woody and Jessie fit into the ride really well.:shrug:
iasWoody.jpg

Very cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom