New Small World Merchandise that makes you go hmmm

JustInTime

Well, that's just tacky!

Well, if they are going to spend the thousands redoing the ride (see Pirates and Haunted Mansion), you can BET it will be a known about months in advanced by everyone. They would put it on the maps and everything. Typical Disney fashion. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Wilt Dasney

I'm thinking it's just the MK importing merch from Disneyland... I just bought a Matterhorn pin at store in the Magic Kingdom on my last visit.

...at least I just hope that's all it is. :(

OK, that one I can't explain away, Mr. Clemens. Guess I'll cry uncle for now. :lol:

NewfieFan

Well, if they are going to spend the thousands redoing the ride (see Pirates and Haunted Mansion), you can BET it will be a known about months in advanced by everyone. They would put it on the maps and everything. Typical Disney fashion. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oh I agree... I meant it's tacky we have merch from DL that has absolutely nothing to do with the MK in WDW!

IF they ever did add the characters I would expect them to announce it from the roof tops (well, at least put it on the front of the guide maps :lookaroun).

JustInTime

Oh I agree... I meant it's tacky we have merch from DL that has absolutely nothing to do with the MK in WDW!

IF they ever did add the characters I would expect them to announce it from the roof tops (well, at least put it on the front of the guide maps :lookaroun).

I know, right? Thats how we know it won't happen! LOL!

BTW, our Yeti stuff is from DL too.

TP2000

BTW, why can't we copy the exterior of the others?

The amount of room required for a proper facade is likely the biggest reason. It's hard to convey in pictures, but the Small World facility at Disneyland sits at the end of a long, broad mall. And there is quite a large space between the entrance marquee and the facade itself, with the outdoor loading area sitting in between with a good chunk of flume the boats use to float past topiary gardens before they enter the actual building under the clock tower.

In addition, the clock tower itself sticks out quite a ways from the main facade, with the Disneyland Railroad passing between the clock tower and the facade. It's quite a large and involved structure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd2FKvag5UI (the Disneyland Railroad passes the facade at the 4:00 minute mark)

4.1241849220.itxs-a-small-world.jpg
4.1241849220.topiary.jpg

The Small World facade works at Disneyland so well because of its depth and kinetic movement. I don't know that the rather narrow walkway at Magic Kingdom where the ride sits would allow it to work the same way, if at all.

David S.

That's a really good point. The "long shot" distant view wouldn't work at the MK because of the narrow street between Peter Pan's Flight and IASW.

I'm just glad we now have the iconic Disneyland clock in the interior loading area. It adds considerable kinetics and charm to the area, especially when it chimes every 15 minutes! :)

wdwmousetales

Original Poster
Disneyland Small World

I took a few pictures of the characters in the ride when I was at Disneyland and I will post those over here later today. I know some of you are worried about this type of thing but the dolls really blend into the ride and you had to really look for them and for me on the 100th time the song has restarted it is fun to be have something else to do but hum the tune whether I want to our not. :brick:

HMF

Based on absolutely nothing but my gut, I would think it's just a matter of time until MK gets the characters. Despite the initial outcry from some parts of the fan community, I get the impression that the changes have been well received at DL.
You obviously don't remember the "Save the Rainforest" campaign.
"It's a world of Franchise' A world of fun. Piles of plush means profits for everyone! Magic ' Wonder or Dream in our marketing scheme' It's a Mall Whirl after all." As for those talking about "blending" the characters in it is not about aesthetics it's about concept. Disney Characters do not belong in a ride about the children of the world.

muteki

The fact that DL merchandise shows up in MK bothers me more than the prospect of characters in IASW. Finding legitimate WDW merch is getting harder and harder these days.

SewIn2Disney

[FONT=&quot]So I was out at Magic Kingdom on Saturday for a trip and construction report for my site when I came across some really interesting merchandise... three new Small World items that included a mug, magnet and snowglobe. I know Disney is claiming that this rehab is just queue work but that should have been expressed to merchandising because these new items all have Peter Pan in Small World Disneyland doll form along with Alice and the White Rabbit. I don’t know this just makes me go hmmmm.
For these photos and construction photos follow the link below.
[/FONT]http://www.wdwmousetales.com/082110wdwtripreport.html

PS... Can someone tell me how to post a photo from my page to a post. You can send this to me in a private if you like.

Thanks,
Josh
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Nice website!
I wonder if Disney is noticing an influx of adults riding Dumbo just so they can get pictures of the construction....lol.

I saw the mug and magnet (don't remember the snowglobe) earlier this summer, but didn't really think twice about it. I just assumed it was Disneyland stuff they brought over. They did have the vintage iasw shirt there too, but without the Disney characters on it. I do like that they're making more attraction-specific merchandise---I saw Splash shirts in the Splash shop, Space shirts at the Space exit, and BTMRR shirts in Frontierland.

NewfieFan

The fact that DL merchandise shows up in MK bothers me more than the prospect of characters in IASW. Finding legitimate WDW merch is getting harder and harder these days.

My thoughts exactly!

Nice website!
I wonder if Disney is noticing an influx of adults riding Dumbo just so they can get pictures of the construction....lol.

I saw the mug and magnet (don't remember the snowglobe) earlier this summer, but didn't really think twice about it. I just assumed it was Disneyland stuff they brought over. They did have the vintage iasw shirt there too, but without the Disney characters on it. I do like that they're making more attraction-specific merchandise---I saw Splash shirts in the Splash shop, Space shirts at the Space exit, and BTMRR shirts in Frontierland.

I bought the vintage IASW shirt (if you're talking about the female style). I love it... one of my favorite shirts in my closet!

ryno1982

I don't think anyone was against the characters in Small World more than me, but when I went on the ride, they didn't bother me at all. Granted, I went on the Holiday version, so there was more stuff added that might have derived some attention away from the characters, but overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Brian_WDW74

DL is getting more and more WDW merchandise as well. On my last trip in May I bought a "Por Favor Mantengase Alejado De Las Puertas" hat in ToonTown and saw a display of Epcot Flower & Garden Festival Vinylmation figures in Tomorrowland. The two resorts are increasingly sharing merchandise, so the new iasw merch in MK really isn't a good indication that characters are going to be added.

David S.

I bought the vintage IASW shirt (if you're talking about the female style). I love it... one of my favorite shirts in my closet!

Glad you were able to get one and enjoy it! :)

I would have bought one too, as Small World is my co-favorite Disney attraction, but unfortunately they are not made in the male style and size.

More silly gender stereotyping, where the "marketing geniouses" assume that because someone is an adult male, they won't like IASW enough to buy a shirt for it!

I can only hope the "Design A Tee" shop at Downtown Disney eventually gets a Small World design in their system. I am so happy that thanks to "Design A Tee", I now have cute Dumbo, Bambi/Thumper, Jiminy Cricket, Nemo, Flounder, and Chip n' Dale shirts (to name just a few!), in an adult male style and size, that I can wear with pride! I would have NEVER been able to find shirts with these cute, so-called "kiddie" characters in an adult size if it wasn't for Design A Tee! I'm even able to put the Walt Disney World logo on them, and they look just as "official" as the WDW character shirts for sale in the "regular" shops!

That shop allows me to design and buy a lot of WDW shirts that work PERFECTLY for my tastes, which is much more appealing than letting the "marketing geniuses" who select what will be in the regular stores decide what I "should" and "shouldn't" be interested in based on superficial, stereotypical factors such as gender and age!

Mr.Diamond

"It's a world of Franchise' A world of fun. Piles of plush means profits for everyone! Magic ' Wonder or Dream in our marketing scheme' It's a Mall Whirl after all." As for those talking about "blending" the characters in it is not about aesthetics it's about concept. Disney Characters do not belong in a ride about the children of the world.

I would point out that most of the additions are not Disney Characters. The majority added come from recognized literature from the respective counties long before Disney made them into movies. The dolls use the classic head and face that Mary Blair designed and don't reflect the animated versions (Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Aladdin and Jasmine, Ariel, etc...).

The only "Fab Five" to appear is Donald and since he was part of 1944's "The Three Caballeros" that was made for Latin America (and it went on to become part of Latin popular culture), it's appropriate.

dreamfinder

I would point out that most of the additions are not Disney Characters. The majority added come from recognized literature from the respective counties long before Disney made them into movies. The dolls use the classic head and face that Mary Blair designed and don't reflect the animated versions (Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Aladdin and Jasmine, Ariel, etc...).

The only "Fab Five" to appear is Donald and since he was part of 1944's "The Three Caballeros" that was made for Latin America (and it went on to become part of Latin popular culture), it's appropriate.

May I direct your attention to Lilo & Stitch and Woody & Bullseye.... I haven't seen the updated attraction so I cannot comment on it, but not all the characters are literary classics.

kaos

I thought when I said "most" and "majority" I was acknowledging there were exceptions.

I caught that, but to be clear here in cyberland, it's best to cite the minority examples also, lest someone else may not read the statement in its entirety or correclty.

Wilt Dasney

Oh, I remember the outcry from some parts of the fan community quite well! But that's kind of the point..it's something that I refer to in the past tense.

I was just saying that once the changes were made, the noise seemed to die down and the world kept turning. For the most part, the changes seem to have been well received by fans. That's not always the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom