New signage and Recycling bins at Epcot

raven

Original Poster
Epcot will once again be trying out a recycling program. The success of it will depend on guest usage. Giant Coke bottle bins will be placed around Future World within a few days starting with Future World East. They are large grey bins that have a red lable that says "Give it back." World Showcase will also have non-themed recycling bins as well.

Also, new retro-looking signs were placed on the central collums in each breezeway this morning marking directions to Future World West and East attractions. Sorry, no pictures though because I didn't have my camera with me.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I thought WDW had a comprehensive recycling program where they sorted all garbage for recyclables? I realise pre-sorted recyclables reduces the workload anyway, but could this mean they're going to stop sorting on a WDW-wide scale? That would be bad... :(

raven

Original Poster
I thought WDW had a comprehensive recycling program where they sorted all garbage for recyclables? I realise pre-sorted recyclables reduces the workload anyway, but could this mean they're going to stop sorting on a WDW-wide scale? That would be bad... :(

Yes, Disney still has their own but this program is designed specifically to get guests to recycle on their own. Disney is in partnership with Coca Cola for the project. If guests don't use the bins enough, they will get rid of them. They have done this in the past but not enough guests used the bins. So this is another test to see if people will use them now. They may try the program at the other parks as well but I'm not sure. :wave:

whizGoofy

I think this is a wonderful step for Disney! Many people are trying to go green, and even on vacation they can if the opportunity is there for them. For me, I wish that Disney had the re-usable shopping bags much like what Target, WalMart, and other stores have started to sell. They should sell them for about the same price that other stores do to encourage people to recycle. I am sure that Disney goes through hundreds of thousands of bags a day. This could cut down on their costs too.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think this is a wonderful step for Disney! Many people are trying to go green, and even on vacation they can if the opportunity is there for them. For me, I wish that Disney had the re-usable shopping bags much like what Target, WalMart, and other stores have started to sell. They should sell them for about the same price that other stores do to encourage people to recycle. I am sure that Disney goes through hundreds of thousands of bags a day. This could cut down on their costs too.
I'm pretty sure they sell re-usable bags at WoD.

CaptainMichael

I could never find a recycling bin when I needed one. It sucks for people who actually want to recycle but can't. Come on world, get with the program!

Good to hear they are at least trying again.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I could never find a recycling bin when I needed one. It sucks for people who actually want to recycle but can't. Come on world, get with the program!

Good to hear they are at least trying again.

You needn't worry about not being able to find a recycling bin. All WDW trash is recycled at the central processing. In what sounds like a horrible job, sanitation workers sift through all the trash and separate out recyclables. Learned some about it on the Backstage Magic Tour a couple years ago. That's why there aren't recycling bins everywhere.

rteniere

I always felt bad throwing stuff in the garbage. Where I'm from, we recycle and compost everything. I know they sift through the garbage, but it was still a mental stumbling block for me to throw everything in one bin (especially compostable things)...

CaptainMichael

You needn't worry about not being able to find a recycling bin. All WDW trash is recycled at the central processing. In what sounds like a horrible job, sanitation workers sift through all the trash and separate out recyclables. Learned some about it on the Backstage Magic Tour a couple years ago. That's why there aren't recycling bins everywhere.

That's just a waste (pardon the pun) though. I'd rather cut out the middle man and do it myself. Humans should be responsible for their own recycling instead of just throwing everything and anything in the trash.

dreamfinder

I can see the new bins for 2 reasons. 1st, Green is hip right now. Easier to put out bins, then explain to Joe Tourist who wants to recycle his Dasani bottle that some guy gets to pick through it all later. 2nd, money. If they can reduce the amount of trash that needs to be sorted, it means less man hours of sorting, less payroll, etc.
I imagine if they find that people keep tossing other crud in the bins, they will drop it as they will still need to sort it anyway.

stevediesel

On my trip two weeks ago, in all the parks every fifth or so garbage can that you would see was a can/bottle recycling bin that looked similar to a trash can, but with only enough space to put in a can or plastic bottle. It got so that I was on the look out so for these see I didn't feel guilty I was just throwing them away.

Bug715

I'm pretty sure they sell re-usable bags at WoD.

They had 3 designs when I was down in July. I bought one to use as my purse carry on for my breakable purchases since my purse wasn't big enought. It was great. It folded back up easily and is in my suitcase waiting for my next trip.

The Disney Store also has a few designs in reusable bags. I bought the Nightmare before Christmas and Mickey ones.

sanctumsolitude

I would argue that the recycling bins is merely reducing the amount of waste in the initial recycling stream. A materials recovery facility will still have to remove the inevitable waste (from guests mistaking it as a trash bin) and separate it into its different recyclables (plastic, aluminum, etc) then prepare it for the market.

Hopefully the recycling bins will result in only like 10%-15% of the contents being waste instead of the (completely guessing) 55%-60% of the trash bin.

Regardless, the process is almost the same whether you use the recycling bin or the trash can. The only difference is the percentage that is waste.

The biggest benefit is that Disney can be visibly seen as a company that recycles. It will no longer be a "behind the scenes" activity.

EPCOT Explorer

Epcot will once again be trying out a recycling program. The success of it will depend on guest usage. Giant Coke bottle bins will be placed around Future World within a few days starting with Future World East. They are large grey bins that have a red lable that says "Give it back." World Showcase will also have non-themed recycling bins as well.

Also, new retro-looking signs were placed on the central collums in each breezeway this morning marking directions to Future World West and East attractions. Sorry, no pictures though because I didn't have my camera with me.

And there was MUCH rejoicing.:D:sohappy:

imamouse

Mr.EPCOT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom