News New security measures

photomatt

I'm no constitutional scholar but the founding fathers allowed for the second amendment not so much out of a self defense against crime but as a self defense against a tyrannical government, which I would argue is as just as important today as it was when the country was formed.
Here is the text of the Second Amendment - "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Please explain to me how private ownership of any "arm" is a part of a well-regulated militia in 2016.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I definitely don't think it's outrageous to suggest that assault riffles be banned for civilian use, however. Of course, if motivated enough, someone will get one, but you've gotta start somewhere. A line needs to be drawn.

Agreed - people can still create explosives, that hasn't stopped us from regulating them even tho the law doesn't eliminate the existence of explosives in the world. And I don't hear the call for overturning the bans on different explosives because 'we need to defend ourselves!'

Its a shame that most people today are blind to the influence the NRA and lobbying has had on public policy and interpretation of the 2nd amendment. Here is an interesting read on the topic for those interested... http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/nra-guns-second-amendment-106856?o=0 with the biggest takeaway being it wasn't till the DC case that in 200+ years the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd amendment was for self-defense. https://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php

The big keystone of today's gun control arguments over right to self-defense with guns being constitutionally protected wasn't even supreme court precedent until the last 10 years and wasn't even a point of heavy contention until the NRA went full bore 'anti-gun control' in the 70s. Where as in decades prior they had been amenable to gun control legislation they felt met their standards.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Don't you think they have more guns?

You can imagine some mythical tyrannical government, that took power without being elected (erm how would that work exactly?), breaking into everyone's homes but don't worry, this guy's got a gun so he can defend himself and they'll run away! Or he'll kill a few and then ten minutes later more soldiers will arrive and shoot the defender of freedom down too.

I think some people watch way too many movies than is good for them.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You can imagine some mythical tyrannical government, that took power without being elected (erm how would that work exactly), breaking into everyone's homes but don't worry, this guy's got a gun so he can defend himself! For about ten minutes until the other soldiers arrive and shoot him too.

I think some people watch too many movies.
i agree. You should read more history.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You can imagine some mythical tyrannical government, that took power without being elected (erm how would that work exactly?), breaking into everyone's homes but don't worry, this guy's got a gun so he can defend himself and they'll run away! Or he'll kill a few and then ten minutes later more soldiers will arrive and shoot the defender of fredom down too.

I think some people watch too many movies.

Mythical??? Are you serious?

Throughout history, every time a government has disarmed their citizens, it ended badly for the citizens. This is one of the main reasons we were given a second amendment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom