News New security measures

Matt_Black

I'm not saying we should not have laws, but this whole trend we're seeing goes way beyond laws. It's individuals and cultural failure. No law will ever change the mindset of someone who wants to harm others and are prepared to die themselves. But to remove the right of individuals to protect themselves is wrong. Not knocking first responders at all (if you knew more about me you'd understand it would not make sense to do so), but I can protect myself and others quicker than law enforcement simply because of the time it takes to respond. Should weapons be banned in places that are high probable targets? Sure. But then security measures have to ensure the safety of those who are present. Once you remove weapons for self defense, it's the responsibility and obligation to ensure the protection of patrons.

That argument does not hold weight. While I don't know about the Pulse nightclub, the venue where Christina Grimmie was murdered did not have any pat down or similar security measures in place. Many mass shootings happen in places where there are a wealth of responsible gun owners. Where are these "good men with a gun" types that are supposed to stop the bad ones?

photomatt

No law will ever change the mindset of someone who wants to harm others and are prepared to die themselves.
True. But if they don't have the tools to kill 50 people at once, the death toll will not be as high.

But to remove the right of individuals to protect themselves is wrong.

Do we need to remove all tools, or just the ones that are solely designed to kill people in large numbers in a short period of time?

photomatt

I agree, if you could gauarentee that they're 100% unavailable. If they're still accessible through illegal means, then problem is still the same, just no means of defense.
"Removing tools" is a generic statement.

I'm not suggesting that we abolish all gardening tools.

matt9112

THIS argument bothers me every time I see it. If that's true, then why bother having laws in the first place?

laws are so that once something is done (break the law) there is justice and recourse after. this (recourse) in turn is a deterrent. laws as built are not to prevent an act pro bono but to make sane people weigh the consequences. the problem arises when that sanity is lacking.

matt9112

True. But if they don't have the tools to kill 50 people at once, the death toll will not be as high.

Do we need to remove all tools, or just the ones that are solely designed to kill people in large numbers in a short period of time?

my ak47 has never killed anybody and god willing it never will.....sooooo.....moot point is moot. scary rifles are scary....uneducated is uneducated.

photomatt

i own several of those tools and its insulting that you blame those tools for a radical event caused by a terrorist. what about france and all there fancy gun laws not a single one of those laws saved those people not a damn one. and my rifles are offended...they kill less people than cars but you have the right to blame them? and thus people like me? get a grip.

edit (stop blaming inanimate objects)
I'm not blaming an inanimate object. I'm not blaming anything. This is a forum about Disney, so I'm not going to get this thread locked by really getting into this issue.

I will make this as simple as possible. The tools to inflict mass casualties exist and are freely available in this country. As long as this condition is true, Disney needs to do everything they can to stop the tools being used on their property. Because of this, expect much more security at WDW and DL.

As long as the tools exist, this will keep happening. That is a fact, not an opinion.

spaceghost

I don't fit racist profiles, and a few weeks ago, I was "randomly" selected every time I entered a park. You're right; it was an awkward process.
I found on my last trip I was selected a number of times. I don't fit racist profiles, but I was a solo, middle aged, male visitor. I'm sure that fits some profile that they are looking for.

Tom P.

True.

We have speed limits, but people still speed. Should we get rid of speed limits?

The drinking age in the US is 21. People under 21 still drink. Should we get rid of drinking laws?

I can go on and on and on and on. Yes, people break laws, yet we still have them. Is it because some people do follow laws? Is it because laws do reduce the problem, even if they don't eliminate the problem completely?

Are you saying we should get rid of all laws because any law can be broken?
Actually, I'd say yes to your two examples. I'd abolish speed limits and the drinking age. Other countries do fine without either. I don't think they accomplish much here. But I know that wasn't your point. :)

The flaw in your premise is that I don't accept that gun control laws reduce the problem in the case of guns. At all. I think they are absolutely, 100% ineffective. The only thing that they accomplish is disarming law-abiding citizens who are then unable to defend themselves. If you really want to do something about denying criminals guns, let's talk about actually dealing with the US-Mexican border and all of the illegal weapons that are funneling into criminal hands as a result of us not enforcing immigration law.

Regardless, though, if someone truly thinks that we can eliminate guns, fine. But let's have an honest debate about passing a constitutional amendment to either repeal or significantly modify the 2nd amendment. Until such time as the political and societal will can be mustered to do that, though, the 2nd Amendment is the law of the land. And the US Supreme Court has declared that it protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, not a societal one. So you can't just pass legislation. If we're being honest, we need to be talking about changing the constitution.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Actually, I'd say yes to your two examples. I'd abolish speed limits and the drinking age. Other countries do fine without either. I don't think they accomplish much here. But I know that wasn't your point. :)

The flaw in your premise is that I don't accept that gun control laws reduce the problem in the case of guns. At all. I think they are absolutely, 100% ineffective. The only thing that they accomplish is disarming law-abiding citizens who are then unable to defend themselves. If you really want to do something about denying criminals guns, let's talk about actually dealing with the US-Mexican border and all of the illegal weapons that are funneling into criminal hands as a result of us not enforcing immigration law.

Regardless, though, if someone truly thinks that we can eliminate guns, fine. But let's have an honest debate about passing a constitutional amendment to either repeal or significantly modify the 2nd amendment. Until such time as the political and societal will can be mustered to do that, though, the 2nd Amendment is the law of the land. And the US Supreme Court has declared that it protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, not a societal one. So you can't just pass legislation. If we're being honest, we need to be talking about changing the constitution.
Has the second amendment been altered at all over the years to take into account the semi/fully automatic weapons that have become more prevelant in modern times ?
Genuine question from across the pond .

KeeKee

The UK and Australia would disagree.
Australia had a fairly effective response to a mass shooting a few years back. I'm hoping that we in this country will have the backbone and fortitude to do the same.

Although I hate the security measures that WDW has had to enact; the need is abundantly clear this morning. I guess I have to take back all that I've said about that in the past and have a nice big slice of humble pie...

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The UK and Australia would disagree.
No call for being sensible round here.;)
After Dunblaine handguns over .22 were banned in the UK and after Hungerford automatic type weapons were banned/restricted. Seems to be lot lower number of multiple shootings over here since then !
And no i am not anti gun, having grown up in a competition shooting household with rifles in the house.

Matt_Black

No call for being sensible round here.;)
After Dunblaine handguns over .22 were banned in the UK and after Hungerford automatic type weapons were banned/restricted. Seems to be lot lower number of multiple shootings over here since then !
And no i am not anti gun, having grown up in a competition shooting household with rifles in the house.

I am not anti-gun either. I DO wish the U.S. had sensible gun laws. There is absolutely no reason on earth why a private citizen needs an assault rifle or armor piercing ammunition.

Goofyernmost

I agree, but if you remove access to the tools used to create this carnage, you take a major step in solving the problem.
The real problem with that philosophy is that this is a big world and we are not the only ones that live in it. Let's say, for example, that the event last night was a Moslem extremist action (and I am not saying that), how would our laws prevent them from finding a way to bring those "tools" in illegally. Do you now think that it wouldn't have happened because we made obtaining a gun a bigger problem for our citizens? I'm puzzled as to how it would affect anything at all other then eliminate our right to own guns. I might say that automatic weapons should not be allowed, but, even then someone will know how to make them automatic no matter what we do. The kicker is that there is nothing we can do about it until it is already used in a manner that all of us are concerned about. It's like stopping the ocean from reaching the shore.
I'm not blaming an inanimate object. I'm not blaming anything. This is a forum about Disney, so I'm not going to get this thread locked by really getting into this issue.

I will make this as simple as possible. The tools to inflict mass casualties exist and are freely available in this country. As long as this condition is true, Disney needs to do everything they can to stop the tools being used on their property. Because of this, expect much more security at WDW and DL.

As long as the tools exist, this will keep happening. That is a fact, not an opinion.
And the second part of that fact is that we are not the only people with those weapons and our laws do not apply to the rest of the world. The second part of that fact is that you cannot stop those tools from existing except in limited areas. It is completely ineffective unless there is a security check point at ever intersection of every road in the world. Personally, I'd rather live in a certain amount of realistic fear then having a total police state. All you need to do is read some history to find out how that ends up. It isn't pretty.

rioriz

The real problem with that philosophy is that this is a big world and we are not the only ones that live in it. Let's say, for example, that the event last night was a Moslem extremist action (and I am not saying that), how would our laws prevent them from finding a way to bring those "tools" in illegally. Do you now think that it wouldn't have happened because we made obtaining a gun a bigger problem for our citizens? I'm puzzled as to how it would affect anything at all other then eliminate our right to own guns. I might say that automatic weapons should not be allowed, but, even then someone will know how to make them automatic no matter what we do. The kicker is that there is nothing we can do about it until it is already used in a manner that all of us are concerned about. It's like stopping the ocean from reaching the shore.

And the second part of that fact is that we are not the only people with those weapons and our laws do not apply to the rest of the world. The second part of that fact is that you cannot stop those tools from existing except in limited areas. It is completely ineffective unless there is a security check point at ever intersection of every road in the world. Personally, I'd rather live in a certain amount of realistic fear then having a total police state. All you need to do is read some history to find out how that ends up. It isn't pretty.

literally took the words out of my mouth...thank you

UpAllNight

Ive read today from some loon the fact Florida is one of the harder states to purchase such weapons as justification to REDUCE gun legislation.

Truly the mind boggles. And the world stares on in complete bewilderment.

Thoughts are with the lives lost, surviving victims and affected families. A complete waste, and totally avoidable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom