News New security measures

Prince-1

This entire thing is very un-American. Walt Disney and the founding fathers of our country would be rolling in his grave if he saw how the Eisner's minions was treating Disney guest. In the Isreal, you can't walk into a shopping mall without going into a TSA style security checkpoint. We are suppose to be better than that.

This entire ordeal is very disturbing to me. I guess you can't go there dressed up like a Jedi now either. Innocent little toys will now paint you as a target for the thugs as the CSC security which were actually investigated for assaulting a college student.

This is looking more and more like the 1984 book everyday.

Hopefully in the next few years, we can take back our country from this hysterical absurdity.

The Isreal??

Tony the Tigger

Go for it. About the only place I don't carry a weapon is Disney. When we went many years ago and stayed on grounds it was the first time I've felt comfortable enough to NOT carry. I have carried pocket knives, but mainly because it's just part of my everyday dress.
Cudos to Disney for the measure. I didn't have time to read the whole thread...amazing how quick it filled up, but I did catch a shot of the scanners on Instagram from @PhotoDave219
Let's enjoy the parks, and not worry about the big bad wolf, at least I'm going to

Seriously? You only feel comfortable not carrying a gun at WDW?

I guess I am tougher than I thought.

Tony the Tigger

This entire thing is very un-American. Walt Disney and the founding fathers of our country would be rolling in his grave if he saw how the Eisner's minions was treating Disney guest. In the Isreal, you can't walk into a shopping mall without going into a TSA style security checkpoint. We are suppose to be better than that.

This entire ordeal is very disturbing to me. I guess you can't go there dressed up like a Jedi now either. Innocent little toys will now paint you as a target for the thugs as the CSC security which were actually investigated for assaulting a college student.

Hopefully in the next few years, we can take back our country from this hysterical absurdity.

It's not unAmerican at all. It's reality. From whom exactly are you "taking back" the country? Because you sound silly.

Daniel Johnson

Seriously? You only feel comfortable not carrying a gun at WDW?

I guess I am tougher than I thought.
Let me say, I've ever carried a weapon at any park, Disney, uni, or six flags. I do carry one in the car. I don't live in the best neighbourhood, I work late at night in a seedy area, and I've been robbed on more than one occasion. Orlando isn't all sunshine and citrus smells outside the confines of the theme parks. And we stay with family in Apopka when not in grounds, so we are traveling through areas of the city I don't know, but some I've been warned about by said family (i.e. pine hills as one example). I'm trained in firearm saftey, operator deployment, and situation diffusion. I'm not a weekend commando. I don't "pull it out" at the first sign of an out of the ordinary situation. If you met me on the street you wouldn't know I was holstersed.
Its not about being tough, it's about protecting my wife and myself. I've been stabbed while being robbed, and I don't want it to happen again. I'm not tough, I'm aware.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The concept of a police state, paranoia, trading in civil liberties for the illusion of security from a far away threat? Sounds very Un-American to me...

Adds a reason NOT to visit the Disney Parks, I fly for a living and TSA like experiences done by day labor goons is something I can EASILY pass up. I go into a lot of 'high security' facilities operated by DoD and defense contractors and they are thorough AND professional not to mention fast.

Unfortunately Disney chose a CHEAP (as usual) response to what was likely a DHS alert instead of hiring real professionals to do the job unobtrusively - The costume/toy gun ban seems like a response to a 'Hollywood Plot' which DHS so often dreams up.

The real threat is going to come from the CM entrances, Reminds me of when I was working for a major airline (pre 9/11).

I would periodically visit major hubs and in this case the hub was in driving distance. Had a HQ car (it was a soccer mom type minivan) and got the full mirror check etc. The box truck in front of me got waved through. You could have had a platoon of soldiers and heavy weapons and they just waved it through without even opening the rear door to check.

If WDW is ever attacked it will be via this route not some cosplayer or a 5 y/o with a bubble gun

Last edited:

BringMeTheHoriz

Finally made it to the end of this one. Pretty interesting discussion overall. Here's my thoughts.

After the Paris attacks, there were strong threats against the White House and Washington, DC as a whole. Months earlier I had already booked a weekend getaway for the weekend after the attacks and I was staying right next to the White House. Even though my family strongly suggested I cancel my trip, I didn't change my plans. Did anything happen? No. Did I feel safe? Relatively. Did I make sure I paid attention to what was happening around me? Absolutely. We need to live our lives. BUT, we also need to understand that there are certain potential targets more valuable than others. Sure we can all sit back and say "it can happen anywhere," but then we're ignoring the fact that there's a far GREATER CHANCE it will happen at an iconic location such as the White House, the Statue of Liberty, or yes, even Disney. That's what Disney and the other theme parks are addressing right now. Forget the probability that there was a credible threat against the parks (which there certainly could have been). Disney knows how iconic it is. It knows it embodies the American ideals of freedom, fantasy, and [most of all] excess, and it knows that these are the exact things somebody somewhere wants to destroy.

Disney has to be working on how to make this more seamless. They have to figure out how to scan people prior to reaching the entrance plaza, because once they go full 100% screening for everybody I know that the current space at the entrance plaza cannot accommodate the crowds/bottleneck that the screening area will become. But with the busiest weeks of the year upon us, including the night where the Magic Kingdom has the most people condensed into as small an area as possible, they had to throw something together...and fast.

As far as toy guns go, I'm honestly amazed it took them this long to implement the ban. Ever since the Sandy Hook shootings I found it odd that Disney would continue to sell anything that even remotely resembled a firearm in their parks. I'm not saying I'm against firearms, just that I found the whole concept of kids being sold the things a bit bizarre. Playing with toy guns as a kid I certainly understand the childhood innocence of it all, but unfortunately the world has changed so much in the past 20 years that these are no longer innocent games.

note2001

Un-American? How? I think your definition of American may be a bit outdated.

Walt Disney did not run a theme park in 2015. He ran one, albeit a very small one by today's standards, back in 1965. So much has changed in the world since then. As a reminder: Doors to homes were left unlocked back then, keys were left in ignitions. For many areas it was, relatively speaking, a time of child-like bliss with America thinking Uncle Sam was the ultimate guard dog. Since then most of us have been forced to take the red pill.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Finally made it to the end of this one. Pretty interesting discussion overall. Here's my thoughts.

After the Paris attacks, there were strong threats against the White House and Washington, DC as a whole. Months earlier I had already booked a weekend getaway for the weekend after the attacks and I was staying right next to the White House. Even though my family strongly suggested I cancel my trip, I didn't change my plans. Did anything happen? No. Did I feel safe? Relatively. Did I make sure I paid attention to what was happening around me? Absolutely. We need to live our lives. BUT, we also need to understand that there are certain potential targets more valuable than others. Sure we can all sit back and say "it can happen anywhere," but then we're ignoring the fact that there's a far GREATER CHANCE it will happen at an iconic location such as the White House, the Statue of Liberty, or yes, even Disney. That's what Disney and the other theme parks are addressing right now. Forget the probability that there was a credible threat against the parks (which there certainly could have been). Disney knows how iconic it is. It knows it embodies the American ideals of freedom, fantasy, and [most of all] excess, and it knows that these are the exact things somebody somewhere wants to destroy.

Disney has to be working on how to make this more seamless. They have to figure out how to scan people prior to reaching the entrance plaza, because once they go full 100% screening for everybody I know that the current space at the entrance plaza cannot accommodate the crowds/bottleneck that the screening area will become. But with the busiest weeks of the year upon us, including the night where the Magic Kingdom has the most people condensed into as small an area as possible, they had to throw something together...and fast.

As far as toy guns go, I'm honestly amazed it took them this long to implement the ban. Ever since the Sandy Hook shootings I found it odd that Disney would continue to sell anything that even remotely resembled a firearm in their parks. I'm not saying I'm against firearms, just that I found the whole concept of kids being sold the things a bit bizarre. Playing with toy guns as a kid I certainly understand the childhood innocence of it all, but unfortunately the world has changed so much in the past 20 years that these are no longer innocent games.

As to the rise of mass shootings - has anyone ELSE noticed that these began when the State Psychiatric hospitals were closed, What's needed is 'Nut Control' not 'Gun Control'. Every freaking one of these 'mass shooters' everyone around them said was crazy and they all had 'manifestos' In the US we threw out the baby with the bathwater when we closed the state hospitals were some patients at some hospitals abused yes they were. But now we have NO PROVISION for those needing psychiatric care so we toss the mentally ill into ER's and Jails or they hurt people and are jailed but NOWHERE can they get the help they need.

When I was in high school during hunting season there were literally HUNDREDS of guns in the school parking lot. (and I was at a private day school) same thing at the local public schools. Yet there were no 'mass shootings' and the school taught Hunter Safety along with every other high school in the state.

Once again we demonize the tool for the bad choices of the tool user.

BringMeTheHoriz

As to the rise of mass shootings - has anyone ELSE noticed that these began when the State Psychiatric hospitals were closed, What's needed is 'Nut Control' not 'Gun Control'. Every freaking one of these 'mass shooters' everyone around them said was crazy and they all had 'manifestos' In the US we threw out the baby with the bathwater when we closed the state hospitals were some patients at some hospitals abused yes they were. But now we have NO PROVISION for those needing psychiatric care so we toss the mentally ill into ER's and Jails or they hurt people and are jailed but NOWHERE can they get the help they need.

When I was in high school during hunting season there were literally HUNDREDS of guns in the school parking lot. (and I was at a private day school) same thing at the local public schools. Yet there were no 'mass shootings' and the school taught Hunter Safety along with every other high school in the state.

Once again we demonize the tool for the bad choices of the tool user.

And I don't disagree with you. It's a political discussion I don't want to have any further part in. The only thing I am trying to articulate is that the imagery always seemed a little off to me after that event.

PhotoDave219

And I don't disagree with you. It's a political discussion I don't want to have any further part in. The only thing I am trying to articulate is that the imagery always seemed a little off to me after that event.

I'm beginning to think that maybe if we weren't trying to sanitize these images and actually show the raw carnage these things leave, maybe as a populous we'd take more action....

Cmdr_Crimson

With the no Costumes over the age of 14 restriction. How is that going to work during MNSSHP or are the general costume rules applied during the event implemented?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom