News New security measures

DisneyFans4Life

If I had to guess, the banning of toy guns is going to be a temporary thing. Give this time to settle down and eventually things will start to regress...just like they have with airport security.

Jahona

Well she looks thrilled to be doing her job...
I was wondering how they were going to install them. This only looks like a temporary measure to get them up as fast as possible. The problem I have is selective screening isn't the best option. It won't slow down guests coming in much but it's not the best security measure. One metal detector is, like the bag checks, for show. It's their to say you might get caught, don't be that guy.

Ransom

I wouldn't describe it as awesome. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. In any case I think the gun paranoia is really getting ridiculous. I'm not by any means a "gun person" but come on there's nothing wrong with a Star Wars blaster or a PoC pistol. I loved playing with those as a kid and I really feel sorry for the current generation.

It was sarcasm. My position is that I understand why they're doing these things, from a business standpoint. As a guest, I don't like them. But I don't think this will be a disaster. Other venues have made this work. If Disney can't, they'll do something else. Not because I think Disney's wonderful, magical, and can do no wrong, but because TSA-like lines at the entrance to their parks would be intolerable from a business perspective.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Ransom

We'll see if any of this sticks around. With it being done so quickly and with an outside contractor, this is likely only temporary. Whether it will go back to the way it was before or whether they'll install permanent metal detectors and user their own staff later on, who can say?

JohnD

We'll see if any of this sticks around. With it being done so quickly and with an outside contractor, this is likely only temporary. Whether it will go back to the way it was before or whether they'll install permanent metal detectors and user their own staff later on, who can say?

Maybe only during the busy holiday season?

Travel Junkie

A couple thoughts:

1. We don't know why these measures have been taken. For all the people criticizing you have no context as to why the decision was made. This could be an overreaction or it could in response to specific threat. If all the major theme parks are doing this at the same time and implementing it very quickly then I would wager a guess that there is a lot more to it than we know. Perhaps we should get all the facts before complaining that it will take a few more minutes to get into the parks.

2. The online tough guys and those critical of this new policy do not have to take any ownership if something does occur. You all can hide in the corner of your online anonymity while Disney takes all the criticism for not doing enough and yes it would hurt their bottom line if an act of violence occurred inside a park. It’s easy to throw rocks from afar when you have no idea why the decision was made or bear no responsibility for your opinion. These were likely tough decisions and things like customer frustration were weighed against customer safety. Obviously Disney and Universal decided the extra expense and complaints they will receive was worth it. If your job and conscience were at stake and the decisions you made directly affected the security of thousands of people every day, then your tune may change.

3. In all certainty this is one of several new security measures and most of them will be unseen by the public.

4. Obviously this and anything else done would not stop everyone. That doesn’t mean steps shouldn’t be taken to make it harder to commit an act.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom