News New security measures

lazyboy97o

I personally never understood why Disney has not permanently installed metal detection or at least a pat down search at the entrance. I always bypass the bag check and walk right in wearing my cargo shorts with the pockets full of stuff and the pockets could easily conceal a compact handgun without anyone noticing.

I think many people would be shocked at what gets through the gates @ WDW and other theme parks.

Anytime I go to a concert or sporting event I see everyone going through metal detectors, wand metal detection and then pat down if needed.
Metal detectors don't notice non-metal weapons.

Ransom

So, you're saying they should definitely install millimeter wave scanners like at airports? =)

I'm holding out for Total Recall style scanners:
TotalRecall.jpg

s8film40

Yep, these things have no business being used for this purpose. For HHN it makes sense, they're just trying to keep out the knives and small weapons an average person might carry so they are not armed when they get in a drunken fight. Anyone planning anything is likely thinking this might add 5 minutes to their plan.

The plans for the 3D printable guns that circulate on the internet actually have a hole so you can put a piece of metal in to make your gun legal, of course that's entirely optional.

Travel Junkie

It doesn't matter why, these types of measures have repeatedly been shown to be ineffective, especially against planned attacks that would be picked up by intelligence agencies.

Scanners have also repeatedly shown to prevent weapons from getting through.

No it likely won't stop coordinated attacks. These measures wouldn't be put in place for them anyway, so yes it does matter why. It does make it harder or discourage other types of violence. Many targets are chosen because it is the path of least resistance. Theme parks are no longer the path of least resistance.

Monorail_Red_77

Sign me up for Disney PreCheck

I heard that with Disney PreCheck you will be able to get you scan done a week before your actual trip at your local Police Dept. The only draw back is that you have to stay in police custody until they deliver you directly to the park of your choice. Sign up now and skip the bag check lines all together. Plus every third visit get you a free cavity check. It's part of the new AP discounts. ;)

bhg469

I look this as an awkward preteen-like situation. It looks and smells a bit funky, but once Disney figures this thing out it will fit right in and we won't recall this time except in pictures.
The bag checks never improved, they just got prettier to look at. I don't see this ever working well unless they dramatically reconfigure the entrance plaza to MK and Epcot. DHS and DAK have a bit more of a straight run and it may work better but it is indeed a sad day.

s8film40

I am holding out hope that this is actually temporary.

I doubt it tho.
Somethings got to give. This selective thing isn't going to go over well, and I don't think scanning everyone would work. This just really can't be done correctly without either really making visiting a park extremely inconvenient or spending a LOT of money. If it were permanent they wouldn't be using that company.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can appreciate the increased security measures, as some said, long overdue for the amount of people passing through the gates; especially with the busiest two weeks of the year coming up for the parks. But, I feel like the costume policy possibly extending into MNSSHP really takes way from the idea of going...

Ehh. We will see where this all is next fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom