News New security measures

peachykeen

This is the exact same company as Universal uses for HHN. From my experience they seem to have zero training on anything, including operating the equipment they're using.

Having worked for CSC several years ago at a football game as a fraternity fundraiser, I was patting people down for the first time in my life within about 5 minutes of being there.

TylerFromMI

I have no information on this at all, but I am thinking MNSSHP will be safe and adults will still be allowed to wear costumes as it a hard ticket event. But again, just my opinion.

According to an updated Orlando Sentinel article on the security measures "Disney World is also discontinuing the sale of toy guns and banning people 14 and older from wearing costumes – even at Halloween parties. "

I can appreciate the increased security measures, as some said, long overdue for the amount of people passing through the gates; especially with the busiest two weeks of the year coming up for the parks. But, I feel like the costume policy possibly extending into MNSSHP really takes way from the idea of going...

Nick Pappagiorgio

Nick Pappagiorgio

She looks as competent at doing her job as the "security" staff at my local college sporting event. Actually, I think it's the same company. They are completely ineffective and more nuisance than anything.

Any moron with a pulse can get these jobs. Consistency is also a big problem. NFL has the rule where you can only bring in a clear bag or a very small purse, into the games. Some lines literally make you empty the whole clear bag out, others let giant purses and backpacks go right through.

lazyboy97o

A couple thoughts:

1. We don't know why these measures have been taken. For all the people criticizing you have no context as to why the decision was made. This could be an overreaction or it could in response to specific threat. If all the major theme parks are doing this at the same time and implementing it very quickly then I would wager a guess that there is a lot more to it than we know. Perhaps we should get all the facts before complaining that it will take a few more minutes to get into the parks.

2. The online tough guys and those critical of this new policy do not have to take any ownership if something does occur. You all can hide in the corner of your online anonymity while Disney takes all the criticism for not doing enough and yes it would hurt their bottom line if an act of violence occurred inside a park. It’s easy to throw rocks from afar when you have no idea why the decision was made or bear no responsibility for your opinion. These were likely tough decisions and things like customer frustration were weighed against customer safety. Obviously Disney and Universal decided the extra expense and complaints they will receive was worth it. If your job and conscience were at stake and the decisions you made directly affected the security of thousands of people every day, then your tune may change.

3. In all certainty this is one of several new security measures and most of them will be unseen by the public.

4. Obviously this and anything else done would not stop everyone. That doesn’t mean steps shouldn’t be taken to make it harder to commit an act.
It doesn't matter why, these types of measures have repeatedly been shown to be ineffective, especially against planned attacks that would be picked up by intelligence agencies.

PhotoDave219

It's CSC? Seriously?

OMG. Those people are known for hiring criminals (atlanta, Georgia dome) And assaulting college kids (Houston, most recently). I dealt with them constantly for many years in college & pro football and I have never, ever had anything remotely considered a positive experience.

This will be a guest relations nightmare.

s8film40

Having worked for CSC several years ago at a football game as a fraternity fundraiser, I was patting people down for the first time in my life within about 5 minutes of being there.

As a photographer who has had to deal with CSC? Ohhhhhhhhh boy
I go to HHN with a friend who has a pacemaker and more than 3/4 of the times he goes through even though he walks up waving his pacemaker card they start scanning him before he can explain and he has to step back quickly and tell them to stop. For this reason he usually has to get there early to avoid the metal detector screening. These people are a whole new level of incompetence for Disney to deal with. This is going to be interesting to watch.

This also looks very temporary. I can't imagine they will continue with the "selective screening" as this will cause lots of problems and I can't see them doing this for everyone. Perhaps it's just for the holidays.

PhilharMagician

I personally never understood why Disney has not permanently installed metal detection or at least a pat down search at the entrance. I always bypass the bag check and walk right in wearing my cargo shorts with the pockets full of stuff and the pockets could easily conceal a compact handgun without anyone noticing.

I think many people would be shocked at what gets through the gates @ WDW and other theme parks.

Anytime I go to a concert or sporting event I see everyone going through metal detectors, wand metal detection and then pat down if needed.

PhotoDave219

I go to HHN with a friend who has a pacemaker and more than 3/4 of the times he goes through even though he walks up waving his pacemaker card they start scanning him before he can explain and he has to step back quickly and tell them to stop. For this reason he usually has to get there early to avoid the metal detector screening. These people are a whole new level of incompetence for Disney to deal with. This is going to be interesting to watch.

This also looks very temporary. I can't imagine they will continue with the "selective screening" as this will cause lots of problems and I can't see them doing this for everyone. Perhaps it's just for the holidays.

I heard thru marathon weekend....

Nick Pappagiorgio

I personally never understood why Disney has not permanently installed metal detection or at least a pat down search at the entrance. I always bypass the bag check and walk right in wearing my cargo shorts with the pockets full of stuff and the pockets could easily conceal a compact handgun without anyone noticing.

I think many people would be shocked at what gets through the gates @ WDW and other theme parks.

Anytime I go to a concert or sporting event I see everyone going through metal detectors, wand metal detection and then pat down if needed.
I would guess it was due to operational issues, as well as the bad PR. Having security implies a lack of safety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom