News New security measures

s8film40

Awesome.

I do hope they put in the metal detectors before Christmas.
I wouldn't describe it as awesome. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. In any case I think the gun paranoia is really getting ridiculous. I'm not by any means a "gun person" but come on there's nothing wrong with a Star Wars blaster or a PoC pistol. I loved playing with those as a kid and I really feel sorry for the current generation.

rucifee

I wouldn't describe it as awesome. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. In any case I think the gun paranoia is really getting ridiculous. I'm not by any means a "gun person" but come on there's nothing wrong with a Star Wars blaster or a PoC pistol. I loved playing with those as a kid and I really feel sorry for the current generation.

Cap. Guns.

JoeCamel

Remember that Disney says who sits on the RCID board and controls the votes, the bonds are rated aa- which is very good (investment grade) so nothing shady is going on here but it is a way to do major improvements and not have the money come out of the bottom line of profits and we all know what happens when WDW has profits.

Bob says ka-ching!!! more stock awards for me!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sporting events have been doing this for a while. At a soccer game that had 90K in attendance I went to recently, every single person was patted down and had their bags checked very carefully. It took 30 seconds per person. Other venues have worked out the kinks. Theme parks can too if they want.

This isn't a big deal.

Stadiums overcome this in part by having many gates to the stadium to distribute the crowds.. and in total probably have on the order of hundreds of feet of entrances and 100+ people working this.

Disney parks all funnel into one entrance and entrance plaza..

ToTBellHop

I suppose we shall see. But since "disneybounding" has become nothing but Cosplay, I guess thy have to set an age.
They would always have the option of keeping the costumes for the Halloween Party and bring out metal detectors for that alone. I am really struggling to imagine metal detectors out daily. Guess anything is possible.

s8film40

Stadiums overcome this in part by having many gates to the stadium to distribute the crowds.. and in total probably have on the order of hundreds of feet of entrances and 100+ people working this.

Disney parks all funnel into one entrance and entrance plaza..
Yeah I would estimate HHN uses 30-50 employees. I think MK wold need close to 100 to make this work especially on a busy day. They will also need to limit transportation, the entrance area to the park can only accommodate so many people. You have to also keep in mind MK's daily capacity on a peak day can easily surpass some of the largest of sports stadiums.

The only other solution I could see to this would be using some of the detectors that can be set to only go off for very large pieces of metal and then people could walk through without removing metal objects from their pockets. If they are only trying to create the illusion and not so much worried about catching everything that comes in this could work and would have less impact.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
A socor stadium with 90 thousand patrons had everyone patted down? Really, that is extraordinary are you sure you are not speaking in hyperbole? .

I'm assuming that is the same as bollox. The resources required to even contemplate a token check are staggering, plus the impact on crowd flow.

Still to the point at hand, tokenism at best. Or perhaps you colonials do have difficulty not killing each other.

draybook

We have people here that support this? C'mon guys, I thought you were better than the DIS crowd that I spent all morning arguing with. Guns have been brought into the parks since 1971, this is knee jerk reaction.

I wouldn't mind if they made it so that you could walk through the scanner, a la Total Recall, but anything gaudy and that slows down traffic is ridiculous.

wdwgreek

We have people here that support this? C'mon guys, I thought you were better than the DIS crowd that I spent all morning arguing with. Guns have been brought into the parks since 1971, this is knee jerk reaction.

I wouldn't mind if they made it so that you could walk through the scanner, a la Total Recall, but anything gaudy and that slows down traffic is ridiculous.
Exactly, the metal detectors are mere lip service, they are false signs of safety, they don't make you any safer. If someone is going to do something like shoot up a school or mall if they have the guns or means they will do so. What's to stop a horrid terrorist from triggering a bomb on the monorail or teary or in the plaza before the metal detectors or at a local mall or anything else.

draybook

Exactly, the metal detectors are mere lip service, they are false signs of safety, they don't make you any safer. If someone is going to do something like shoot up a school or mall if they have the guns or means they will do so. What's to stop a horrid terrorist from triggering a bomb on the monorail or teary or in the plaza before the metal detectors or at a local mall or anything else.

That's exactly what I tried to tell those folks. These "baddies" are using things that wouldn't even register in a scanner anyways.

Rescue Ranger

Good! All it takes is one horrible human being to destroy everything and this could prevent that.Sure, it can't prevent everything, but it's something.

However, hopefully Disney will invest in designing this so it's not a tacky eyesore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom